Why Do We Love Temple of Doom?

Henry W Jones

Michael Storm said:
Because in an interview Lucas said that it was what he always intended, Indy going to hell literally and symbolically and coming back to fight and live another day/year etc. It's like the Spiritual Death/Burial/Resurection of Christ! These are just metaphors that are similar and common among everyone. The witch doctor worshipped Satan, and Indy praised God, so we know Who always wins. Just like Raiders showed us how a man of little faith believes, and the Divine power thereof, Doom showed us the death, Raiders the Burial, and Crusade the Resurrection between Father and Son. Crystal Skull shows us how the sins of the Father pass to three and four generations, and how it affects our failures, and relationships with people, as Henry III (a.k.a.) Mutt Jones, found something Divine Knowledge. The Beings were created by God to watch over us. Possibly never fallen into decay or sin. As they can go into space between the spaces, and are interdimensional. It's all real and metaphors!! Good series though. I recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it.

But, why do we love TOD?

Michael Storm said:
Because in an interview Lucas said that it was what he always intended, Indy going to hell literally and symbolically and coming back to fight and live another day/year etc.
I remember Spielberg actually saying "Hell" but don't recall that sentiment coming from Lucas. Where is that from?!

Michael Storm said:
It's like the Spiritual Death/Burial/Resurection of Christ! These are just metaphors that are similar and common among everyone. The witch doctor worshipped Satan, and Indy praised God, so we know Who always wins. Just like Raiders showed us how a man of little faith believes, and the Divine power thereof, Doom showed us the death, Raiders the Burial, and Crusade the Resurrection between Father and Son. Crystal Skull shows us how the sins of the Father pass to three and four generations, and how it affects our failures, and relationships with people, as Henry III (a.k.a.) Mutt Jones, found something Divine Knowledge. The Beings were created by God to watch over us. Possibly never fallen into decay or sin. As they can go into space between the spaces, and are interdimensional. It's all real and metaphors!!
Not a bad thread you've stitched...but what do you mean by "all real and metaphors"?

Michael Storm said:
Good series though. I recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it.
Thanks! I'll check it out...what order should I watch it?

Henry W Jones said:
But, why do we love TOD?
...yes my precious, why do we love Temple?!

Duaner

Why do I love Temple of Doom?

Temple of Doom was non-stop adventure and dark and different from Raiders. It featured a great opening sequence in China, the thrilling mine cart sequence and the rope bridge scene which I consider the best scene in all Indy movies. Willie, though I agree was not as tough as Marion and clearly more irritating, was still the hottest of Indy's women.

Temple of Doom is special to me because it was also the first Indy movie I watched. I probably have seen it more than the other three. I also have a fond memory of watching it with my grandpa.

mrman7

Love it despite itself

I love Temple of Doom even though I think it's the weakest in the series. Harrison Ford is in top form --- he's in great physical shape and he's really found the role. The music is great, as is the production design. The action sequences are fantastic. I have PLENTY of criticisms and things that I DON'T love, but that is for another forum. So yes, I love Temple of Doom because it's exciting and visually dazzling.:rolleyes:

Teneas

Easily my favorite. I tend to lean towards the darker style movies as it is, and Temple nailed it.

Indy is much more of a mercenary/grave robber type with a good heart in this. No cartoonish stuff like LC had. Willie...sucked of course, to much screaming. Short Round was a huge bonus for me. That movie was Indiana Jones for me through my childhood. The heart removal, the danger, overcoming evil to show your good heart in the end.

Still my fav, and the only gear I purchase. I even bought a Penman LC hat from a previous owner recently....well it's with Penman getting rebashed into a temple. :D

Jacket, shirt, hat, bag, bag strap, and no less than 3 hats in Temple bash. Raiders is good of course, if not great, LC was okay and funny, KOTSC is still Indy to me, but Temple defined him for me. This was the dark side of being out of the classroom, and showed much more to me.

Teneas

Duaner said:
But Willie was hotter than Marion or Elsa by far!!!

At the time I think I would of agreed. My taste for women seems to delve into the dark some times though. Marion is a total bada**. Strong, knows what she wants, a fighter, and isn't afraid to scrap with the boys. Those type of women are much hotter than needy divas any day in my book.

Marion from Raiders...not...well today.

Shane Henry

Duaner said:
Elsa was very attractive and I actually prefer her looks to Marion's, but I still prefer Willie over all of them.
Above all 3, I do agree there's no doubt that willie is hotter than the other 2:) , marion is more perfect as the one for Indy since they've been together when they were young, they are meant to be together, so marion doesn't need to be present hot, just the normal the better. As for elsa, it's another kind of charming, not in American way, I suppose.:rolleyes:

As for the reason why I adore TOD is that it's different you know, and China elements included, but it's a shame that we can't understand what willie sang, I know it's anything goes which lyrics is Chinese, but I can only recognize a little even if I understand Chinese.:(

TheFedora

Idk If I've ever said this, but I like TOD because it gives us a look at 'Mercenary' Indy whose primary motivation was 'fortune and glory'.

RareAntiquities

The opening sequence is well done and quite interesting. The opening is good and it is the same from there. Seeing Indiana Jones dressed in a James Bond fashion was a nice touch.

MaxisIndy

Why I Like TOD The Best.

Temple of Doom to me has a darker flair then the rest of the films. I also like the reference to Star Wars:gun: . Willie please.;) Remember, If adventure has a name, it must be the Indycast.

Makel37

Templs of doom!! love it!

I know it's the darker Indy but im 37... so in 84 i was 5 yrs old.. Igrew up with it, even have the book! Pass often on tv! Harrison was well fit, nice shape! My sister was a Indy freak, i bet Harrison was a part of the fact that she loved it!! And the scene he cheat on card against a child!! love Short moon!
It's after t-d that i saw the raider!!! I was .. wow!!! :whip:

14292445_311228535904149_5053703252499471300_n.jpg

Indy86

I'm sure there's another thread about the Indy-girls, but for now I'd say my vote goes out to Elsa as well but I'll explain later.

Indy86

Well, I'll see. Just think it's a little odd to bump really old topics sometimes. But if it's alright or doesn't matter maybe I will, check out some of these.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy86 said:
Well, I'll see. Just think it's a little odd to bump really old topics sometimes. But if it's alright or doesn't matter maybe I will, check out some of these.

We encourage reviving old threads as opposed to starting new ones that cover the same ground. This post from Finn here explains some of why:

Finn said:
I know why people might be uncertain about it, as there arguably are some reasonable arguments for frowning upon it as well. It can cause some confusion in people, and sometimes hasty folks who don't bother to check timestamps may end up in an embarrassing position by answering a question that has long since turned irrelevant.

We here in The Raven value our history however. We know there's lodes of good stuff buried here and it's going back to what could be considered ancient history - as far as measuring time in the Internet is concerned. By not abhoring necro-posting, we can see at least a fraction of it re-emerge from time to time.

So: a little bit of thread archaeology is worthwhile.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled praise of Temple of Doom, the installment of the series most willing to take some risks, even if not all of them paid off.