Star Wars: Rebels

S. Dakota Jones

I've watched the first couple of episodes but I have been too busy at work to watch the others. I am however recording them on my dvr(one of the few things that do get recorded because I don't watch much tv and I think it's a waste, but that's a story for another time), so I'm hoping I can maybe get caught up here one of these days.

kongisking

S. Dakota Jones said:
I've watched the first couple of episodes but I have been too busy at work to watch the others. I am however recording them on my dvr(one of the few things that do get recorded because I don't watch much tv and I think it's a waste, but that's a story for another time), so I'm hoping I can maybe get caught up here one of these days.

The last I saw was "Rise of the Old Masters" which was the proper debut of the Inquisitor. On the whole, I've been very happy with the show. It's had a much stronger start than The Clone Wars did (even though this does retain some of the flaws that show had in its early days). I really like the characters, their dynamics are fun to watch, the voice acting is very nice, and lots of visually creative action. Plus, plenty of John Williams cues! This is fine stuff. Good on you, Disney.

S. Dakota Jones

Got caught up this weekend(except for Monday's episode), and I really do like it so far. There are a few things that take me out of it but overall I really like it a lot! I can't remember if it was "Rise of the Masters" or the episode after it, but there was something specific that really took me out of it being "Star Wars". I'll re-watch it to be sure but another one is some of the lingo that gets used doesn't sound "Star Wars..ish?" if you get my meaning but that's probably just the generational gap between my youth and...well now.

:hat:

:hat:

Lance Quazar

So far, this has been a good show, but not a great one. I really like the characters and the ship, but most of the episodes have been somewhere between a B- and a B+ (with the exception of the terrible "Fighter Flight.")

I think the planet Lothal, where they inexplicably spend most of their time, is deadly dull and makes their universe feel tiny and boring. It's obvious the show is done on a budget, but, man do I wish they'd actually USE that spaceship of theirs to go hopping from planet to planet each episode.

Despite my misgivings, the last episode before the hiatus (shows to resume in early January) is called "Gathering Forces" and is available now on the XD website (it will air on Monday.)

It is outstanding! The best episode of the bunch by far. It's the second half of a two-partered that started with the solid "Empire Day" (which I'd rate highly, though a bit below "rise of the old masters.")

Hopefully, the show continues in this direction. If it maintains that level of quality, it'll be something to watch for sure.

AndyLGR

Overall I think its been a pretty solid start to the series.

Picking out the bad first, Fighter Flight and Out of Darkness have been the weakest of the episodes so far.

I thought that as this was aimed at kids that I'd find the characters annoying, as it turns out they aren't too bad. The most annoying aspect is the alien and the astromech droid and the constant bickering with the kid, Ezra.

I agree with an earlier post that they should expand the scope away from that one planet.

I think whats made it easier for me to get in to is the references back to the originals, with the Imperials, their equipment and look and also the score.

I'm up to Empire Day now, by the sounds of it there a couple of good episodes to watch so I'm looking forward to those.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The end in sight already?
Rumor has it that Disney and Lucasfilm are planning to do ?about? three or four seasons of Star Wars Rebels before starting a whole new Star Wars animated series, with all new characters, set in the timeline of the current movies (the Star Wars sequel trilogy).
Since this is so early, there aren?t a lot of specific details. The new cartoon series will be set during the Sequel Trilogy timeline (Episodes VII and beyond), which will be very familiar to fans by that time. If Rebels does go three or four seasons, the new show would hypothetically start in 2017 or 2018, around the same time we?ll see Star Wars Episode VIII. That means we?ll have at least one, possibly two movies of world building in which to set up a new story and set of characters.

Grizzlor

Most animated series of this genre do not last longer than 3 or 4 years. For one, the toys get stale! I finally got free time yesterday to watch the show, and have gotten through the first 6 episodes. I LOVE the show! This is the Star Wars I have loved in LucasArts games and novels and comics. Very happy with it.

Duaner

Rebels is streaming for free on starwars.com this weekend. This was a great chance for poor people like me who can't afford cable to finally see the show. I was hooked from the beginning and finished the whole series in a day. It really felt like true Star Wars (especially with the score as previous posts have mentioned). I particularly loved the episode with Billy Dee Williams voicing Lando. They left it open for his return too. Hopefully, Han is with him next time.

Orellana

I don't know why, but the same thing that happened to me with The Clone wars animated show is happening again with rebels. It just seems too darn kiddie and peachy even for what it is for me personally. That being said, I said the same thing about The Clone Wars. Until i started watching, then I binged and watched every episode. I'm sure Ill come around to Rebels as soon as I get time to watch and enjoy it.

Duaner

Orellana said:
I don't know why, but the same thing that happened to me with The Clone wars animated show is happening again with rebels. It just seems too darn kiddie and peachy even for what it is for me personally. That being said, I said the same thing about The Clone Wars. Until i started watching, then I binged and watched every episode. I'm sure Ill come around to Rebels as soon as I get time to watch and enjoy it.

I need to binge on Clone Wars still. I've only seen bits and pieces of it. I got to see Rebels last May the 4th when it was streaming for free. I was hooked from the beginning. Make the time for it.

Clone Wars definitely got more serious as it progressed. The final Yoda arc is a completely different show from the pilot film. Haven't given Rebels a try yet, but I may if/when it comes to Netflix.

Now, those Jar Jar episodes on the other hand...

Orellana

Duaner said:
I need to binge on Clone Wars still. I've only seen bits and pieces of it. I got to see Rebels last May the 4th when it was streaming for free. I was hooked from the beginning. Make the time for it.
It will be well worth your time sir. That show is (was...) aweome

Z dweller

It's not Easter yet, however...

Star Wars Rebels Dropped a Brain-Bending Indiana Jones Easter Egg

rebels-holy-grail-pic.jpg

Stoo

Kevin Fitzpatrick from screencrush.com said:
...or if Star Wars somehow took place in Indiana Jones? future...
Looks like this pinhead doesn't realize that "Star Wars" isn't set in the future. It happened "a long time ago" in the past.:rolleyes:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Season 2 ends strong, dispensing with the bland Inquisitors and making room for more recognizable villains. They borrow a droid who sounds suspiciously like Marvin the Paranoid Android from the Hitchhiker's Guide radio series and novelty songs. Also I'm pretty sure Zeb, the nearly extinct Lasat and team's muscle, gets laid on a refugee planet for his species. Everyone stands around wondering what's taking him so long down there.

Season 3 fishes Thrawn from the non-canon, and despite the loss of many star destroyers never loses his cool (he's blue) and is content gathering small pieces of the puzzle of the Rebels' whereabouts. Really skeptical which side he's on and where they'll stuff him since they're coming up fast on year zero BBY. Maul has a nice arc.

Season 4 has a few planet of the week episodes, then settles where it started on Lothal for a fantastic run which gets weird. The two Monday episodes are probably the most Raidersesque of the 10 animated seasons, and goes to the space... er, World Between Worlds. You hear the voices of Rey and Kylo who aren't even born yet. There are plenty of geeky diatribes out there on Star Wars messing with time travel. My advice is to watch it unspoiled (not sure how if you're without cable) because it's beautiful. Or at least review the three Mortis episodes of Clone Wars on Netflix. Their ship Ghost can be seen in the Rogue One battle above Scarif so we'll see where and when the Monday finale ends.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The more I think of the gods of Mortis Lucas dreamed up way back in Clone Wars season 3, the more they seem like a family of once prosperous hillbillies who lured the sheriff to their remote compound.

Rebels put its powerful characters on ice (or plot carbonite) for the duration of the original trilogy, and benched the rest as the local militia on Lothal. For a kiddie show there was quite a high body count, like the end of Inglorious Basterds minus the burning and screaming. Unlike that robot they stole, the flying whales here are definitely not from Hitchhikers Guide. If Star Trek had whales that could go warp 10 they would have had a very short movie.

After 10 great years of Star Wars tv, how ever will we pass the time?

Grizzlor

I hoped the show would have run longer, but the wrap up I felt was really well done. Bravo to Dave Filoni. I suspect future series, both live and toon, will be moved into the new trilogy time line. If this was perhaps the last hurrah of the OT era, nicely done.