• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

dakota

I have emailed Wested re the stock Skyfall and they have confirmed that their measurements are pretty much the same as my Skyfall jacket.

However, one, the price seems to have gone up to £199 in the past few days where as the custom made is still at £210 so for an extra £10, this now looks the best option with the choice of available hides.

I did ask about the current shade of shrunken lamb to get an idea of colour (i emailed Wested the photos in this thread hope you guys don't mind) and they confirmed that the shade is now a much lighter brown than Drones jacket which for me probably won't suit.

Wested did mention that if I want a dark brown I would be best with the washed lamb but this isn't option on the custom order page so would need to confirm that this can be used.

Other than that, I would probably need to go with the dark brown lambskin but my only concern would be that the hide is quite shiny with not much character, would anybody be able to comment on this if they had used this hide previously.

Any advice would be great.

Major West

The authentic brown lambskin is generally quite smooth and shiny and new looking. Would need to be weathered in unless you want the jacket to look shiny and new.

The washed lamb is darker and bit more matt looking. Good for Indiana Jones and an A2 jacket, it might be good here.

emtiem

I thought it was worth bumping this thread back into life- one of my favourites before the forum took its hiatus.

Since then I've bought myself a Bill Kelso striated lamb Raiders jacket and absolutely love it :)

Kit Marlowe

First time post here. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and have had a standard Wested Raiders in pre-distressed hide for a couple of years now. It was surprisingly heavy but I guess you could drag me under a truck without much trouble. Decided to try a Hero in lambskin when it was on offer but the fit just didn't work for me and I flipped that. Recently decided to try a Raiders OTR in goat and I'm starting to give that some wear. Can anyone advise on the cut of West's Raiders v LC ?

Indy2Go

I recently got hold of an Indy jacket made by Hollywood Vintage Jackets on "Kleinanzeigen" (basically the German equivalent of Craigslist). These jackets are made in Italy, where HVJ also has a store full of various film jackets. The jacket may not be the most screen-accurate, but it is very well made and the aging looks pretty authentic. If you can ever get your hands on one of these for cheap, I highly recommend it.

attachments.php

attachments.php

BurnhamJ

I recently got hold of an Indy jacket made by Hollywood Vintage Jackets on "Kleinanzeigen" (basically the German equivalent of Craigslist). These jackets are made in Italy, where HVJ also has a store full of various film jackets. The jacket may not be the most screen-accurate, but it is very well made and the aging looks pretty authentic. If you can ever get your hands on one of these for cheap, I highly recommend it.

attachments.php

attachments.php
So those are germany only? I'm pretty sure I saw a folk at the local gun store in one of those!
Wonder if they ship those to US/Canada, would love to pick up one of those. Does leather come pre-aged? As you said it's not exactly the most accurate copy, but a few small tweaks can get it pretty close to be fair!

TennesseeSmith

I wondered how close I could get to the look while making the most minimum investment. This is a Nautica brand jacket. They were about $448 or so when new. This one was still new, with the tags, but the zip-in liner was missing. That was absolutely the only flaw whatsoever. My total cost, tax included, was $41.60. A phenomenal score from ebay. It's a 46 and fits me perfectly. I don't use liners with my leather jackets, anyway. When the weather gets cold, I simply wear a different type of jacket/coat. This was much more than I could have hoped for at such a price!

Screenshot2023040803.jpg

TennesseeSmith

I'm not all that fond of the 'hero' jacket. Over the years, I've had a few jackets with the flap that covers the zipper and I've found it to be quite annoying. And....when you really stop and think of Indy's adventures all over the world, those adjusters would get caught on all kinds of stuff.

The unspoken implication that Indy has only one hat and one jacket....the same ones for decades....through all those adventures, is downright silly. He would have replaced them multiple times over the years....most likely with similar but updated versions. And I don't imagine him paying $500 for a jacket or hat that will be subjected to repeated extreme circumstances.

I am all for 'working' gear that ages naturally as you go along, and that doesn't cost a lot, rather than items that are screen-accurate down to the last felt fiber and shade of artificially aged leather.

emtiem

Well, we know that everything he was wearing at the beginning of Crystal Skull got incinerated by the army! :)