Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm still looking forward to this novel- it's been a long 10 year wait for a new adult novel that isn't an adaptation of a film. I'm hoping that it does get a release in the Australian bookstore, so I don't have to order it and wait for weeks on end (usually ordering takes a extra 4-6 weeks from most bookstores, there's the rare one that takes only 2 weeks).

Irfaan

indyclone25 said:
its a paberback , so i think they will not cancel it .

Which reminds me... does anyone think they will have a hardback edition? I would rather buy that, it would be the first hardback Indy novel I would ever own! :-D I recently bought star wars force unleashed (for MEGA-cheap) hardback (first hardback I bought in ages!) and it feels so great! It's the only reason why I have not preordered it yet.

Though saying that, I honestly don't mind buying the paperback...

Irfaan said:
Which reminds me... does anyone think they will have a hardback edition? I would rather buy that, it would be the first hardback Indy novel I would ever own! :-D I recently bought star wars force unleashed (for MEGA-cheap) hardback (first hardback I bought in ages!) and it feels so great! It's the only reason why I have not preordered it yet.

Though saying that, I honestly don't mind buying the paperback...

Paperback only (as least in North America)....

In the middle of this. Must say, I'm pretty disapointed so far, over a hundred pages in and nothings really happening. Well, stuff is happening but... well.. not a whole lot:(

DoomTown

Jeremiah Jones said:
In the middle of this. Must say, I'm pretty disapointed so far, over a hundred pages in and nothings really happening. Well, stuff is happening but... well.. not a whole lot:(

Ummm did you get it early or something??? Thought the release date was the 29th??? :confused:

Plaristes

KVoss said:
Ummm did you get it early or something??? Thought the release date was the 29th??? :confused:

I got an e-mail from amazon.com today telling me the book is now available. (y)

Edit: Hooray! With my 100th post, I finally get an avatar!

indyclone25

Jeremiah Jones said:
are you saying you have it !!!!

Not so far. I haven't had this much trouble reading an indy novel since Caidin... Mac, well he doesn't do much. They're not even involved in the war, on leave from it. And Indy keeps going on about the cross of coronado. Its like Perry is scrabbling around with back story to pepper his conversations but has completely missed out on young indy which would illuminate so many conversations more then indy being a scout... Full review whenever I finish the damn thing

indyjones2131

Please post more NONSPOILER details of your thoughts so far. Do the author capture the character of Indy well? Do they action scenes have weight to them?

Thanks!

Trennas

Hmm that doesn't bode well. I'm sure many of us had this book high on our wishlist, and I myself am starting to get a little reluctant. Still, I often find myself enjoying book other people don't, so I will give it a chance, even if I can't miss out on any Indy novels to stock my already full bookcase :p

Non Spoiler thoughts.. well
So far there hasn't really been any action sequences, almost 150 pages in, there was a random plane crash and a very brief action sequence, very very brief. Indy hasn't really done anything yet. Theres a one or two nice moments but usually Indy's character isn't that great, not really like him at all, hes very smug, making stupid jokes constantly and thinking about the other movies and something called Peruvian werejaguars a lot. Oh, and going on and on about being a scout.

Theres one conversation about knots but the whole thing really follows the Japanese commander and the German more then it does Indy's party as they wander very slowly through the woods. Maybe its the mood I'm in but the whole thing smacks of a lack of research.. even in the introduction he states that he made everything up on the islands, including the geography! Maybe it'll get better.

UltimateManGod

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've been able to read the book myself, although the apparent lack of research is disturbing, especially considering the research that clearly went into the last series. MacGregor has visited all but one of the locations he had in the books, Caidin clearly knew his planes and flying, and McCoy had all those historical context bits and the end of his books.

On the note of reading it myself, may I suggest to the moderators a review thread in the same vein of TheForce.net forums? Having an official review thread as maybe a sticky could hopefully help curtail any possilbe number of random review or thought threads. At least I'd like to see that.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of research. The closest friend of a writer, is research. This just makes me more peeved that they didn't released MacGregor's SoK novel. At least, then we would have a great and proven Indy author with a decent storyline!

I'm still waiting for the Australian release so it could be a while before I get my hands on a copy. I'm hoping that I have a different opinion on it once I read it for myself. Lately, though, I have agreed with other Raveners on their reviews of KOTCS, etc. Still, though, I just don't get why they didn't just get MacGregor to do a fresh novel instead of a novelisation.