Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Head's up to any of you who are presently online...in less than 10 minutes, at 1:11 AM EST, a selection of music and sounds from the Temple of the Forbidden Eye will begin playing here. I'm not the one who pulled them up...and at some later date I could schedule something like that...but I just saw it and figured I'd tell you. This will be running until 1:46, with a couple of interruptions for other tracks.

InexorableTash

Cool. Bizarre, but cool. The service I mean. Further proof of the rule that, on the Internet, there is always someone more obsessed with something than you are.

(Now pardon me while I dig up the "Oceania" loop from Small World.)

Indy89

I guess they're doing more refurb on it this year. After adding hte new Indy figure at the 'Gates of Doom,' I'm hoping they update the other figures throughout the ride, as well as fix the gates. It's kind of lame when the doors don't open and close; allowing you to see EVERYTHING that is going to happen to you before hand. That, and the figures are looking very worn out and...unstable.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
JuniorJones said:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LtvP40X8L_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yxQfQh7hskg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ceeopoezbMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a little follow up...(y)

Code:
[url]https://rapidshare.com/files/3451302450/DIJ1.rar[/url]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Still on the lookout for a high-quality, downloadable version of a fuller form of the audio of the attraction, in a fashion that includes some of the queue and exit music, but you can at least listen to it here.

(Not that there isn't good stuff right under your noses.)

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Attila the Professor said:
Still on the lookout for a high-quality, downloadable version of a fuller form of the audio of the attraction, in a fashion that includes some of the queue and exit music, but you can at least listen to it here.

(Not that there isn't good stuff right under your noses.)

That's pretty good. There are noticeable differences in the dialogue when I went on it a couple f years back (and yes, film it). I'm amazed that my camera managed to catch most of this soundtrack. There are definitely dialogue differences on my recording (recording was done Christmas '09). Most of the dialogue was cut shorter and there was another variation for the End Sallah dialogue for those who received future sight. That and the short film in this soundtrack has Sallah going into the temple and receiving future sight and being asked about the World Series. Interesting touch.

So would this be the original soundtrack that has now been modified and shortened dialogue?

Interesting article...

Vigilance a full-time job on Indiana Jones ride

ANAHEIM – An army keeps one of Disneyland's most elaborate and popular rides safe.

Indiana Jones Adventure was among the most innovative attractions ever created when it opened in 1995: It was the first to put an independently moving platform that holds the passengers, like the Star Tours' simulator, on top of a vehicle that runs along a track.

Today, the Jeep-journey ride ranks as the second-most expensive attraction to maintain in the Disneyland Resort, behind California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure, said Jeff Corder, Disney senior manager of engineering services.

To provide The Orange County Register with a look at its safety measures, Disney gave a behind-the-scenes tour of Indiana Jones, which handles 1,800 riders per hour.

Hundreds of employees are trained to work at Indiana Jones, including 12 machinists and mechanics. At any given time, 18 operators are on duty. In a year, employees receive 27,000 work orders, such as fixing hydraulic leaks, replacing light bulbs and installing tires.

The inspection cycle begins about midnight with workers looking at the 17 vehicles, each weighing about 12,800 pounds.

A computer only allows credentialed employees to sign off on inspection tasks: When hundreds of jobs are finished, a green Mickey Mouse thumbs-up appears; if anything is left out, a red thumbs-down shows up.

Every morning, operators walk the tracks. Vehicles roll from a warehouse behind the dock and wind through the ride's course. When the Jeeps reach the entrance, operators buckle the seat belts and yank on the straps.
When the public is aboard, any operator can stop the vehicles. Two are needed to restart the ride.

In 2001, Disney revealed in a court case that 313 visitors reported injuries from an Indiana Jones ride with jerky motions over three years before the state began tracking incidents in 2000.

At least four injury-related lawsuits were filed, including one by a family blaming a woman's fatal aneurysm on the ride. The cases were privately settled.

Disney has since altered the ride and added cushioning. The state investigated eight reports in 2009 and 2010.

In June 2009, Disney workers determined that a steering valve had failed and caused a vehicle to hit a wall. One man reported neck and leg pain, and a woman said she had shoulder pain – claims that they made six months later. The valve had been in service for 15 years. Because of the incident, Disney started replacing valves every four years.

InexorableTash

Anyone have a pointer to clean audio for the pre-ride video, i.e. the "Eye on the Globe" segments and the Sallah Safety Spiel? YouTube links are fine (i.e. I can strip audio); I just haven't found anything w/o crowd noises.

Le Saboteur

Heads up.

Al Lutz said:
And with a planned two month rehab for Indiana Jones this fall...

It's just a single sentence in an otherwise lengthy article, but Mr. Lutz is generally spot on with his information. The unfortunate thing though, is I have been unable to find any information regarding the planned rehab aside from a vague rumor of the "rat room" being upgraded with some effects that were originally cut due to budget constraints.

If I had to peg a time frame for this rehab I would look to the beginning of September through the end of October. This would allow Temple of the Forbidden Eye to carry though the busy Summer season, and open up in time for the Holiday season. Yes, there's Halloween. But the big attraction then is, of course, the Haunted Mansion.

For those of you who never had the opportunity to experience it in all of its operational glory when it originally opened, hopefully this long overdue rehab will allow you the chance to experience it in all of its operational glory.

I'll confer with the Buddha of the Breakdown and see if I can't divine any solid information.

tumblr_lkyjt2FNE11qbskw8.jpg

Le Saboteur

Asps! Very dangerous. You go first.

File this under one of those things I meant to post while I didn't have a computer...

The Temple of Mara has been shuttered. Yes, closed. The ride has been dark since the 5th of September while WDI sets about sprucing up the attraction. Scouring the 'net hasn't provided much in the way of legitimate information except the usual " lighting, paint, figure animation and other effects, and possibly a new show feature."

That's the one tantalizing bit that I've been able to dig up. Note that they say it's possible that there'll be a new show feature. It's not official, but one rumor I have heard is that they'll be widening the bridge over the lava pit for a new vehicle maneuver. Whether or not this actually happens or is simply part of the new safety craze that has beset Disneyland remains to be seen.

There's also this interesting bit of trivia I never knew concerning the ride:

Randy Savage said:
There's an interesting, little-known history to the Hall of Descending Blocks. Like the Spike Room, there was a special effect built into the room: one of the diamond shape floor stones was raised about 1/2" and when stepped on would cause several of the ceiling blocks to vibrate & lower. During the pre-opening walkthroughs/testing, people kept stumbling over the raised diamond, so it was flattened and the effect was permanently turned off.

With today's sensor technology, perhaps a new, flat trigger panel could be installed and effect finally turned back on.

I had the pleasure of riding the Temple of the Forbidden Eye in its first month of existence, and it was an absolutely thrilling experience. When all of the effects were working the ride was beyond reproach. If WDI can return the ride to its original state after all of these years, I will be a very happy camper.

Two things I would like put back that aren't actually ride related: 1.) the two archeologists in the well room who provided in situ humor & advice while you were waiting in line. Next time you go, glance up in the general direction of the two ladders. You'll notice a couple of platforms where they worked. 2.) The "fun phone" opposite the truck.

Enthusiasts will find out (fingers crossed) on the 7th of December whether or not the refurb is successful and if the ride was happily "plussed" or everything is as it was.

In other news, the typically dreadful Aladdin's Oasis has been closed until sometime in mid-2013. It was a decent restaurant in its original inception, but since it turned into "storytime with..." its been all down hill. Hopefully it gets re-themed to something a bit more appropriate to Adventureland.

If they're taking requests, I sincerely hope that WDI replaces that mega-sized king cobra for something different; or, at least more realistic. That does it in for me nearly everytime.

What-Wonders-Await-755x755.jpg

To this I should also mention the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost. Up until very recently, one had the option of plunking a few quarters into the original Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure. That's now gone. Did you want postcards or movie posters? Gone. T-shirts? Reduced to two options. Instead there was a really cheap child's playset available -- think chunky plastic machete -- and a Mickey Mouse as Indiana Jones Bank. Merchandise is, of course, limited due to the ridiculously limited scope of the series, but there should always be a rotating stock for all ages and sizes.

Indiana Jones is not a child friendly adventure.

Nurhachi1991

What are they doing for the refurbishments? I work for the joint and have no idea why the ride is closed... Go figure

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
File this under one of those things I meant to post while I didn't have a computer...

The Temple of Mara has been shuttered. Yes, closed. The ride has been dark since the 5th of September while WDI sets about sprucing up the attraction. Scouring the 'net hasn't provided much in the way of legitimate information except the usual " lighting, paint, figure animation and other effects, and possibly a new show feature."

That's the one tantalizing bit that I've been able to dig up. Note that they say it's possible that there'll be a new show feature. It's not official, but one rumor I have heard is that they'll be widening the bridge over the lava pit for a new vehicle maneuver. Whether or not this actually happens or is simply part of the new safety craze that has beset Disneyland remains to be seen.

I've seen this new maneuver idea (from David Koenig, who is pretty reliable), but I've mostly heard that Cal OSHA is to blame. Whether it's being widened or being given a railing, I'm not sure.

And maybe we'll get lucky and will see the rat effect replaced, but I haven't heard anything to suggest so.

Le Saboteur

...but I've mostly heard that Cal OSHA is to blame. Whether it's being widened or being given a railing, I'm not sure.

I've heard the same. It seems that George Kalogridis is hellbent for leather on sanitiz-- er, making everything "safe" following Cal OSHA's mandated changes to Alice in Wonderland. At worst, I would expect it to be widened. A railing would too much to fathom.

And maybe we'll get lucky and will see the rat effect replaced, but I haven't heard anything to suggest so.

Loose lips sink ships, sailor! In all seriousness though, Disney is very, very good at keeping things under wraps until they're good and ready. I doubt we'll hear anything concrete until the week the jeeps are set to role through the temple again.

I'll be back in Southern California a few days after, so I hope to have a report.

Nurhachi1991 said:
What are they doing for the refurbishments? I work for the joint and have no idea why the ride is closed... Go figure

You're possibly in the best position to find out. That is, assuming you know somebody in Attractions.

InexorableTash

Temple of the Forbidden Eye on the Infinite Jukebox

You'll have to poke around to understand it, but basically it analyzes audio tracks looking for similar "beats" and computes a graph of branch points through the song. As the song plays it may randomly jump to a similar part of the song. To play it, click on the circle at about the 3-o-clock mark.

Summary: orchestral scores don't work as well as pop songs, especially techno (Daft Punk's Derezzed)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Here's some news.

Disney's Indiana Jones ride whipped into shape
The adventure ride was closed for three months for refurbishment.

By SARAH TULLY / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

ANAHEIM ? Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure will resume operation on Dec. 8 after a three-month refurbishment.

Besides the popular inside ride, based on the "Indiana Jones" movies, no other Disneyland Resort attraction is scheduled for closures in December because of the heavy crowds coming for special holiday features and long school breaks, said Kevin Rafferty Jr., a Disneyland Resort spokesman.

While crowds are lighter in early December, closer to Christmas usually is among the busiest times of the year ? sometimes requiring the two Disney parks in Anaheim to temporarily halt admissions.

Visitors may see slight changes to Indiana Jones.

Disney added a new mural in the dart room, and the bridges got a new look with jagged planks, Rafferty said. Overall, the ride has undergone "show modifications to enhance lighting, paint, figure animation and other effects," Rafferty said.

Indiana Jones, which opened in 1995, is among the most expensive rides to maintain at the Disneyland Resort. It can accommodate 1,800 riders per hour on Jeeplike vehicles, each weighing 12,800 pounds, that trundle through archaeological scenes.

Indiana Jones initially had problems, with more than 300 visitors reporting injuries from the ride in a three-year period, according to a 2001 lawsuit. Injuries and medical problems have dwindled in recent years, with 12 incidents investigated by the state from 2009 through 2011.

The recent renovations were unrelated to any such problems or state orders, according to the state.

Mostly, I'm curious about this dart room mural. No change - but possible improvement? - to the rat effect. And the bridge has received the expected modifications.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Mostly, I'm curious about this dart room mural. No change - but possible improvement? - to the rat effect. And the bridge has received the expected modifications.

Tentative plans for a 3 day 9th-11th, if need be, I can report back...

Just have to secure a puppy watcher, first.