Petition to publish Staff of Kings novelization!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
whipwarrior said:
Rob tried to get the project off the ground last year but Lucasfilm wouldn't allow it, citing production cost without a movie to generate profit. Of course, such paltry considerations never deterred the endless torrent of Star Wars merchandise released in the absence of a feature film (TV series aside), so unless Indy 5 happens, don't hold your breath for an Indiana Jones literary revival.

The argument would then be that Star Wars is way more popular than Indy and I guess SW fanboys always seem to have more cash to splash than Indyfans. We tend to be a smaller and more conservative lot, much like the good professor himself. Also count in the many new versions of the original trilogy and releases on various formats. And Star Wars is as Steve Sansweet once put it more "toyetic" than Indy.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for Indy 5 either. More likely hold your breath for someone to eventually break this out on the net, much like the rejected Indy 4 scripts (still waiting on the Jeff Boam one!).

I'd also argue that one Indy game adaption is a little loss (for Lucasfilm) to take considering they never released "Army of the Dead" in Australia.

whipwarrior

If you haven't read Army of the Dead, trust me you're not missing anything. The book was absolutely terrible. Steve Perry is an excellent writer in the Star Wars galaxy, but his style doesn't lend itself to the pulp adventure genre handled so effortlessly by Rob MacGregor and Max McCoy.

Indyfan82

Has there been any further word on this? I know we've been waiting like three years now for this possibility, but maybe with Disney getting ownership of Lucasfilm there might be "a new hope" ;) for "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" to get released as a novel? Of course, I'd also love to have a PC port of the game for that matter, but that is probably even more unlikely...

Indyfan82

And in regards to "Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead", I tried to read that a while back. I got maybe 1/3 of the way in or so and eventually gave up...The book gets into some supernatural stuff with voodoo that gets a bit too freaky for me. The writing isn't all that bad- I mean, Steve Perry is a good writer in his own right. But I can understand some fans' complaints about it just not quite matching up to Rob MacGregor's style or Max McCoy's or even Martin Caidin's. (For the record, I have read all 12 of their Indiana Jones books.)

Indyfan82 said:
...we've been waiting like three years now for this possibility...
I think you're going to have to take matters into your own hands if you really care about it.

Please let us know how you do.

Good luck.

Indyfan82

I suppose it does seem to be something of a lost cause...
but it's still kinda maddening that Rob MacGregor has an entire Indiana Jones novel just sitting somewhere that can't be released to the fans to read as it hasn't been published. (And it's not like he's going to give it away for free.) Though if he would, perhaps an E-book would be a possibility.

Indyfan82

Hey- I didn't say that.
I can definitely try to contact Disney/Lucasfilm again, just to see if anything's changed on this.
We'll see... "I don't know- I'm making this up as I go."
Better get cracking. :whip:

Indyfan82 said:
Hey- I didn't say that.
I can definitely try to contact Disney/Lucasfilm again, just to see if anything's changed on this.
We'll see... "I don't know- I'm making this up as I go."
Better get cracking. :whip:

Just remember who would have the Ark if Indy never went back to The Raven.

Got to be tenacious, and you can always enjoy the idea that if it weren't for you...

Indyfan82

By the way, I just saw on the Indiana Jones Wiki that the cover art had even been created- it's not exactly the same as Drew Struzan's style, but still- it looks great! Hopefully some day soon we can enjoy seeing this book with that cover on the shelves! (or at least on a Kindle.)

Indyfan82 said:
By the way, I just saw on the Indiana Jones Wiki that the cover art had even been created- it's not exactly the same as Drew Struzan's style, but still- it looks great! Hopefully some day soon we can enjoy seeing this book with that cover on the shelves! (or at least on a Kindle.)

Hmmm, sounds like you're resigning from the effort! Come on laddie, get on the stick!:whip:

Stoo

Indyfan82 said:
...maybe with Disney getting ownership of Lucasfilm there might be "a new hope" ;) for "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" to get released as a novel?
----
I can definitely try to contact Disney/Lucasfilm again,...
---
By the way, I just saw on the Indiana Jones Wiki that the cover art had even been created- it's not exactly the same as Drew Struzan's style, but still- it looks great!
Indyfan82, forget about writing Disney. If you're going to bother contacting anybody, it should be the publisher, Del Rey Books. They are the folks reponsible for holding it back.

See Rocket's post #119, in this thread: Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

His post also includes the fantastic cover artwork.;)

Indyfan82

Thanks for the info, Stoo. I contacted Disney in any case, but who knows if they'll even reply. I will try to check with Del Rey Books and see what they say.
And yes- that cover artwork is awesome!:)

Toht's Arm

Just played Staff of Kings for the first time on PS2, and geez, talk about moments of greatness. (Emphasis on moments.) Such a slapdash plot that plonked Indy into a new locale regularly, with only some hidden text in a menu to explain what's going on. It's exactly the sort of thing that could have been wonderfully fleshed out in a novel. I guess ONE DAY it'll appear online in one form or another...

Indyfan82

Even an e-book release would be better than nothing. (Though I would prefer to have a physical copy of the book to sit with all the other Indy books I have.):)

Walecs

bennihana123 said:
Maybe now that Indy V is coming out in 2019 they'll have the money to release it as an ebook? I just want to read it!

Me too. I just don't see why they won't sell it as an ebook. :(