Which Wine to whine about . . .

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
He is right ti B**ch about it! The government takes WAY too much tax on alcohol, I mean really, has it ever really hurt anyone?

[In my best slurred Anthony Hopkins]"Scr*w the government!!!!"

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Darn right! A drinking song for this time of year...

When IRS guys are smilin', watch your taxes multiply
If they say you missed a filin', kiss your blarney house goodbye
Their audits gave me an ulster, and my taxes are dublin they say
So I'll give the address of the IRS to my friends at the IRA!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Purchased my first two bottles of Bordeaux!

Chateau Bonnet '03 Bordeaux. I was feeling spry, and wanted to combat a bit of cou'vade. Plus a minor job promotion, and the tax benefit of being married, so I splurged on a product I can't taste for 7 more weeks.

I feel like a new man, a Bordeaux of all things. :p

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Purchased my first two bottles of Bordeaux!

Chateau Bonnet '03 Bordeaux. I was feeling spry, and wanted to combat a bit of cou'vade. Plus a minor job promotion, and the tax benefit of being married, so I splurged on a product I can't taste for 7 more weeks.

I feel like a new man, a Bordeaux of all things. :p

Nice, enjoy the wine. Chateau Bonnet makes a great white was well.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I have decided to be more ambitious as a wine drinker. I want to start my own vine, and grow a nice table wine so I can have "my family lable". The idea struck me when our city was giving away free trees and, whilst surveying the horticulture, I came across the grape and berries section of the nursery.

In addition, a bit east from here is Rancho Cucamonga, and there are abandonded vineyards all over. I want to resurrect one vine from these old wineries, and add it to a couple three or four of ones I order online, to meld the old with the new. My desire is to learn about the grape and the microecology necessary to producing an acceptable vintage I can give as gifts of love to family and friends.

roundshort

Pale, be careful very careful! You have heard the stories of people who get into backyard farming and grow tomatoes that end up costing $90 per tomato to grow!

But I like the idea. There is a lot of wine growing areas down South, so you can find a grape and rootstock to work. I recommend sticking with White as it is easier, less expensive and requires less aging.

Have fun and let me know what you end up "picking" excuse the pun

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Pale Horse said:
I have decided to be more ambitious as a wine drinker. I want to start my own vine, and grow a nice table wine so I can have "my family lable". The idea struck me when our city was giving away free trees and, whilst surveying the horticulture, I came across the grape and berries section of the nursery.

:eek: you serious?

It kinda reminds me when I was in high school and we had this class called "experimental science". We had to make our own wine, and mine turned out...well...not even suitable for vinaigrette sauce. We also made cheese, but I didn't dare taste it because it was rock hard (kinda sweating though) and an acid smell was comming out of it.

Good luck, but maybe it'll take a few seasons before you can actually give them out as gifts :)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Some of my friends also failed to ferment a palatable red wine. It was closer to vinegar. So instead we distilled some nice hooch from it. Bout time to make some more.

(rocks chair, tugs suspenders, strokes shotgun)

Joe Brody

Proof that Pale Horse lives in California:

Pale Horse said:
. . . .The idea struck me when our city was giving away free trees and, whilst surveying the horticulture, I came across the grape and berries section of the nursery. . . .

In my parts the only government 'free trees' available are the ones you dig up in the parks, under the cover of darkness.

Rancho Cucamonga? Perhaps you could make a nice Bugs Bunny Chardonnay

And vaxer's wine & cheese failures prove that he is indeed part American:

vaxer said:
We had to make our own wine, and mine turned out...well...not even suitable for vinaigrette sauce. We also made cheese, but I didn't dare taste it because it was rock hard (kinda sweating though) and an acid smell was comming out of it.

roundshort

Moedred said:
(rocks chair, tugs suspenders, strokes shotgun,. . . licks lips, eyes daughter)

Come on it is not that hard to make wine, christ, Christ did it from water! No really it is fun, but it helps to live in an area where EVERYONE is a wine maker and there is plenty of equipment around to help.

Good luck Pale!

Johan

roundshort said:
Come on it is not that hard to make wine, christ, Christ did it from water! No really it is fun, but it helps to live in an area where EVERYONE is a wine maker and there is plenty of equipment around to help.

Good luck Pale!

You are saying it is easy to make wine because Christ did? Might want to think about that one for a bit.

Joe Brody

IndyJohan said:
You are saying it is easy to make wine because Christ did? Might want to think about that one for a bit.

roundshort,

People got your sense of humor better with the old avatar.

indy_22.gif

Last edited:

Johan

The problem is that sarcasm doesn't translate well in a non-audible medium of communication.

roundshort

IndyJohan said:

I guess you can take it like that if you want, what I was saying he made it from water, so how hard can it be. I personally use grapes.

IJ, did you want me to think about it, or do you want to think about? And if you want me to think about it, what should I think about?

I miss seeing the dog and without Temp here, I figured I would reserect the dog~ (which is god, spelled backwards)

Johan

Well, to me it sounded like this "If the God of the universe can create wine from water, how hard can it be to make wine?"

What you think it actually took some sort of effort on His part?
I know what you're getting at; I just think it was a bad comparison.

roundshort

IndyJohan said:
Well, to me it sounded like this "If the God of the universe can create wine from water, how hard can it be to make wine?"

What you think it actually took some sort of effort on His part?
I know what you're getting at; I just think it was a bad comparison.

And all this time I thought it was some dust and gas and a bang (all be it, a big bang!)

Just joking and provoking IJ, In the wine industry we joke about ol' JC, we even have some called Jesus unites that are used in wine making. It's all good, just being a DEVILS advocate!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:

Good luck Pale!

Must, ADY, Remuage, Foxy, Doux, Crock, Bung. What the heck am I getting myself into!

P.S. Indy Johan, the water to wine reference is a metaphorical tool indicating that the marriage feast, (or union of the Messiah to his church) is equivalent to the fermenting process of taking something that essentially dead (water) and bringing it to live (wine). It's an lesson that most growth needs to take place on the inside, before bringing it out. Hence the fermenting reference.