Making original Young Indy Chronicles available to everyone... any ideas?

ThrowMeTheWhip

InexorableTash said:
The DVDs were altered from the broadcast version in subtle ways, such as updated digital matte paintings.

I'm not saying such an edit would be a bad idea, but it would not be as useful as a research tool.

I?m very aware. The point would be to piece it together like a Harmy Star Wars despecialized version.

ThrowMeTheWhip

Stoo said:
I know, eh? :) Which reminds me...I still owe you a couple of DVDs! :eek::eek:

It's a lot of work, though, as several "Adventures of" versions have entire scenes deleted and some individual shots either digitally altered, replaced, deleted or arranged in different order. Plus, a couple of the American ABC broadcasts deleted certain parts (compared with Canadian CTV airings).

Luckily, I've already documented all (?) of the differences:
Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD Films
Missing/Extra Young Indy Scenes

As most folks here know, my collection is fully complete (minus a couple of glitches) from my own home VHS recordings and 2 trades in the late '90s for the 4 "Euro" episodes & the 4 Family Channel movies. Not to mention I also have fair amount of bonus material. All recorded on SP (highest quality VHS speed) and mostly with stereo sound.

For the full experience, there would have to be 2 versions! :eek:

But I take it the Aussie VHS tapes would be a source improvement?

Sounds like we have plenty to work with in ?improving? the video quality if we so chose. Obviously, all little changes would make it impossible to get a completely clean version, and it would look pretty piecemealed, but perhaps worth the effort.

The VHS tapes (Was it the chaptered Adventures series I think?) with the recut film versions were published here also, you can still find them for sale on Vatera, except I don't think our age old VHS player (it couldn't record) still works. The DVDs however were never released. Are the tapes different from the later DVDs?

ThrowMeTheWhip

youngindygirl said:
The VHS tapes (Was it the chaptered Adventures series I think?) with the recut film versions were published here also, you can still find them for sale on Vatera, except I don't think our age old VHS player (it couldn't record) still works. The DVDs however were never released. Are the tapes different from the later DVDs?

The tapes you are talking about are identical to the DVDs, and aside from the cool cover art, are really of little interest. They are common. The tapes I am talking about are the original broadcast version of the show released only in Australia. A similar set was released in Japan with subtitles and a few extra episodes.

indyclone25

Adamwankenobi said:
A few days ago, I submitted a message to the official Indiana Jones MySpace page, in which I asked Lucasfilm if they could possibly release the original episodes of YIJC on DVD one day. I explained to them briefly how I miss the George Hall bookends and the opening credit sequence. To drive the point home, I included a YouTube link to the last few minutes of "London, May 1916". :whip:

Though the comment was submitted successfully, I saw that comments have to be approved before they're posted. Needless to say, my comment wasn't approved. :( But at least someone at Lucasfilm (whoever runs the official IJ MySpace account) viewed the message, and may have mentioned it to someone else. And you know how that goes. :)
you never know . they may release the young indy again on blu ray , maybe when they start filming the next movie , and have the original run the way it was meant for tv and have a the movies as they were for the dvd box sets released bfore, that way people will buy the blu ray sets again.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
ThrowMeTheWhip said:
The tapes you are talking about are identical to the DVDs, and aside from the cool cover art, are really of little interest. They are common. The tapes I am talking about are the original broadcast version of the show released only in Australia. A similar set was released in Japan with subtitles and a few extra episodes.

You mean the series in it's original form was released on VHS in Australia? I thought they had released only the first season in UK.

It would be great to upgrade the series as they did recently with Baywatch but I don't see it happening.

ThrowMeTheWhip

Sakis said:
You mean the series in it's original form was released on VHS in Australia? I thought they had released only the first season in UK.

It would be great to upgrade the series as they did recently with Baywatch but I don't see it happening.

Whether it was released in the UK or not I cannot say. It is a PAL VHS, and my copy was obtained from Australia. It is six volumes for a total of 12 episodes which is all of the first season and half of the second, And yes it is the original release, not the 1999 re-edits.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
ThrowMeTheWhip said:
Whether it was released in the UK or not I cannot say. It is a PAL VHS, and my copy was obtained from Australia. It is six volumes for a total of 12 episodes which is all of the first season and half of the second, And yes it is the original release, not the 1999 re-edits.

Do you have the covers from those tapes?

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Yes, that is right, I have them too. Unfortunately, they are unwatchable in VHS quality.

Raiders90

Does anyone think the Chronicles (either the edited versions or original release) will ever come out on Blu Ray?

InexorableTash

Never say never, but I doubt another physical release will happen.

That doesn't preclude a re-remastered, higher definition streaming "release" at some point, but I have to assume it's way, way down on the priority list for Lucasfilm.

ThrowMeTheWhip

InexorableTash said:
Never say never, but I doubt another physical release will happen.

That doesn't preclude a re-remastered, higher definition streaming "release" at some point, but I have to assume it's way, way down on the priority list for Lucasfilm.

The series has extensive digital compositing all mastered in standard definition. No way. Don?t expect they?d ever redo the effects.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
ThrowMeTheWhip said:
The series has extensive digital compositing all mastered in standard definition. No way. Don?t expect they?d ever redo the effects.

They did it for Star Trek The Next Generation and it was a series with much more seasons and episodes. The fan-base of star trek is much wider than Indy's of course. But if the cost of such a project decrease and the studios decide to upscale it's library content to re-use it it is a possibility. But I won't play with numbers.

ThrowMeTheWhip

Sakis said:
They did it for Star Trek The Next Generation and it was a series with much more seasons and episodes. The fan-base of star trek is much wider than Indy's of course. But if the cost of such a project decrease and the studios decide to upscale it's library content to re-use it it is a possibility. But I won't play with numbers.

They also did it for X-Files.

But do you think Young Indy has as large a fanbase as either of those series? Seems doubtful.

Good thread. As someone who enjoyed seeing the YIJC as the series was originally broadcast on TV way back in the '90's, I have always wanted to see a physical media release of the series with all the episodes as they were originally shown. I.e., with the old Indy (George Hall) book-ends on the 1-hour (less without commercials) episodes.

These book-ends worked well & provided some historical context for these given episodes, and were far better than the abysmal edits that we saw on the DVD releases. Note that I have the 2007-2008 YIJC DVD releases & though these are better than nothing....they got rid of the GH book-ends & cobbled two unrelated episodes together with new "linking" footage. This was garbage, and really marred my enjoyment of these particular episodes.

Note that not all of the episodes originally aired with the George Hall book-ends. I.e., IIRC the two-hour TV films didn't have these: I.e., Mystery of the Blues (this great tele-film had Harrison Ford book-ends, that were retained for the DVD release); Phantom Train of Doom; Scandal of 1920; Hollywood Follies; etc. And, these were fine because the GH book-ends weren't here in the first place, so the DVD releases show these tele-films as they originally aired - without edits AFAIK.

Hopefully, someday Lflm./Disney will re-release the YIJC (on either revised DVD's and/or Blu-rays) as they were originally broadcast & without any edits at all. That being said, I only see a snowball's chance in he$$ of this happening - LOL.

No, there were Harrison Ford bookends in the Mystery of the Blues TV film. I remember seeing this tele-film when it was originally broadcast on TV in 1993. These HF bookends were kept when the show was put on DVD in the 200X's.