DC Extended Universe

Lonsome Indy

i know DC is taking their time with their heroes, being that Superman and Batman are the only major ones that have been done. but even so, news is going around how Green Lantern may be coming and Wonder Woman is already in production.

i would personally love to see a Justice League movie. Superman, Batman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash, Wonder Woman and yes even an appearance by Aquaman would be great.

me being a Superman fan, i would definitely love to see Darkseid, Brainiac, or Metallo on the silver screen. Bizarro would be equally good. theres so much to go into, hopefully Bryan Singer or anybody else can take the chance and use that.

|ZiR|

Because the only DC superheroes that people care about already have their own current movie franchises (i.e. Superman, and Batman), and all the other cool DC characters are too obscure to make a marketable film to the average public.

Not DC, but I really want to see a new Doc Savage movie; one done right. With good action and that sense of tongue-in-cheek campiness of the original comics.

Agent Z

|ZiR| said:
Because the only DC superheroes that people care about already have their own current movie franchises (i.e. Superman, and Batman)

In addition to Superman and Batman being DC's mainstays, they also seem to be two of the most underused in terms of villains and potential.

Does Supes have to face off with Lex Luthor all the time? Ditto for Batman and the Joker.

I know, you "have to" use the characters that every Joe Public and their grandmother's pet groomer can relate to, but it gets old....

|ZiR| said:
...and all the other cool DC characters are too obscure to make a marketable film to the average public.

I'm still holding out hope for a live action Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew feature! :gun:

TheMutt92

As far I know, plans for a justice league film tanked, Wonder Woman is taking forever to start production, David S. Goyer has some idea for a Green Arrow movie thats not really a Green Arrow movie, and... I think I'll just focus on Dark Knight for now (which looks friggin awesome!), seems to be the only certainity on DC's list (even Superman: Man of Steel is taking too long to get into production!)

yodazone

agentsands77

|ZiR| said:
Because the only DC superheroes that people care about already have their own current movie franchises (i.e. Superman, and Batman), and all the other cool DC characters are too obscure to make a marketable film to the average public.
I disagree. They'd just have to work extra hard to sell some of them. The key to success here is quality. I have to say I'm very intrigued by the Green Arrow project they have in the pipeline... it sounds like a really original way to go about making a superhero flick. My only reservation is that it's David S. Goyer's project, and he's generally pretty mediocre.

Anyway, not DC-universe, but still under the DC label is WATCHMEN, the almost universally acclaimed "Greatest Graphic Novel Ever Made" (TM), and since that movie's coming out early next year, I'd say DC's still going okay. If it's as good as it should be, it's really going to shake up people's conceptions of what a superhero movie can accomplish.

agentsands77

Apparently JONAH HEX is on the horizon for a 2010 release. Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor are directing (CRANK). I hope this one turns out okay... Jonah Hex has always been a property I've liked.

Lonsome Indy

Watchmen, as the words of my friend, believes that it just may well be the best superhero movie of this decade.

the problem DC has is they have about maybe 7 famous characters out of their vast inventory. it would be great to see others and i think DC could do it but because their top line characters have yet to come out, most of the focus is going to them first.

TrailBlazer

I would not want to see a Justice League movie. Story's too diluted when you're cramming that many "lead" characters into 120 minutes. And who stars? Egos want billing. And who plays Batman and Superman? Bale and Routh? Why would they want to do that when they get full paychecks for their own franchises? This isn't a hipsters club like the "Ocean's" flicks. So you get some also-rans filling in the big-ticket tights, and now we have to accept yet ANOTHER Batso and Supes.

MaxPhactor23

|ZiR| said:

Not DC, but I really want to see a new Doc Savage movie; one done right. With good action and that sense of tongue-in-cheek campiness of the original comics.

I respectfully disagree completely. The Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman especially are really no more or less recognizable then Iron Man, Daredevil, and the X-men. Consider Iron Man; This is a character that hardly anyone knew much about. Only the comic readers were aware of his origin. They make up a very small percentage of the audience of a summer blockbuster. Plus even amongst comic readers he wouldn’t be considered amongst the top tier. Yet the film had an overwhelmingly positive reaction and gave the character some much needed exposure. Walking up to random Joe on the street before the film launch and they probably haven’t a clue as to who Iron Man happens to be. You’d most likely get a lot of Ozzie Osborne oriented answers. But look at the film, arguably the most well received summer runaway success thus far. Many are hailing it as the finest comic film ever produced and all from what's considered a B-grade character! I truly believe there are no bad comic book superheroes, only bad writers. They all have potential, albeit untapped.

Plus I have to say, claiming that all of DC’s superheroes outside of the big two are too obscure and then pulling out a Doc Savage reference…is a bit hypocritical.

Last edited:

Shortie

I'm not a DC fan (I hate it besides Batman) but I'm surprised we're not seeing any announcements for WW, GL or Flash after IM's huge success. Heck Marvel was like "Well let's crank some more out!" then quickly announced Thor, Caps & Avengers. DC is pretty stupid IMO, sticking with the guy (yeah from what I've heard there's no SM sequel in the works) they know will make money instead of taking chances.

MaxPhactor23

Yah but?DC arguably has made the best movies. Quality over quantity. I'd rather them do a film every three years and have it be gold as opposed to crank them out like manufactured junk and have each one be sub par to awful.

agentsands77

MaxPhactor23 said:
Yah but…DC arguably has made the best movies. Quality over quantity. I'd rather them do a film every three years and have it be gold as opposed to crank them out like manufactured junk and have each one be sub par to awful.
Agreed. I don't want DC to rush any projects just out of some need. Projects should be made when they're ready to be made.

That said, Marvel did give us two pretty entertaining efforts this year. IRON MAN and THE INCREDIBLE HULK, IMO, are the two best cinematic efforts from the Marvel camp. I fully expect THE DARK KNIGHT to overshadow both of them, but that doesn't change the fact that Marvel's had a good run so far.

Agent Z

yodazone said:
haha....that would be cool to see if they can pull a live action movie off..

Check out this Cap. Carrot/Zoo Crew cover gallery I posted over at Scott Shaw's Oddball forums:

http://www.oddballcomics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1368&sid=e15e463bd3b7401737e82ab63a256d13

I'll take a CGI movie of the Zoo Crew too if they can crank one out fast enough!

(y)

They had "Aliens vs. Captain Carrot & the Amazing Zoo Crew!"?!?! :eek: :eek:

I need to get back in the groove, cause I just have the initial run of CC. I love those covers...I mean, how could you not? Classic goodness! Sometimes, I'll pull an issue out and practice my drawing with one of the covers. :p

And Groo!!! Holy moly, I had forgotten all about Groo! :eek:

|ZiR|

MaxPhactor23 said:
Plus I have to say, claiming that all of DC’s superheroes outside of the big two are too obscure and then pulling out a Doc Savage reference…is a bit hypocritical.

Wait... what? When did I say Doc Savage would be any more successful or marketable than the other DC heroes? I didn't. It was just a shout out of what I'd like to see, not what would be a better choice commercially. :confused:

You make a good point about Iron Man, though.

yodazone said:
Check out this Cap. Carrot/Zoo Crew cover gallery I posted over at Scott Shaw's Oddball forums:

Oh boy -- I thought Capt. Carrot was a joke. I didn't know it was real.

MaxPhactor23

|ZiR| said:
Wait... what? When did I say Doc Savage would be any more successful or marketable than the other DC heroes? I didn't. It was just a shout out of what I'd like to see, not what would be a better choice commercially. :confused:

You make a good point about Iron Man, though.

Ah! My bad! I thought you were somehow implying that Doc Savage was more recognizable then character like Wonder Woman or the Flash. That baffled me. You know…I wouldn’t mind a Doc Savage film either. If done correctly it could be right up there with Indiana Jones. He's definately in need of some attention and exposure.

agentsands77

Doc Savage would be nice. I was glad to hear that there's a Sgt. Rock film in development, another hero I'd like to see. I also have a real fondness for the character of the Spectre... I think they could do one heck of a film based on him.

And at some point, we need a proper HELLBLAZER film. Not that Keanu Reeves junk that came out a few years ago.

agentsands77

|ZiR| said:
Really? I thought the movie adaptation was leagues ahead of any of the Hellblazer comics.
You're the first person I've heard suggest that. Most fans of John Constantine were exceedingly disappointed with how the film adapted the character and his world (particularly the irritating change from London to Los Angeles).

|ZiR|

agentsands77 said:
You're the first person I've heard suggest that. Most fans of John Constantine were exceedingly disappointed with how the film adapted the character and his world (particularly the irritating change from London to Los Angeles).

Ah, y'see, I wasn't a big fan of the series until after I saw the movie in theaters. I'd ideally flipped through some of my brothers copies, and while the amount of S&M/homosexuality was fun, it didn't grab me. I like both now, but I prefer the film stylistically, and Tilda Swinton as Gabriel was one of the cooler characters I've seen in a comic book movie.

One thing I think that's neat about the comics are the ones which portray Constantine as an aged, bloated drunk. He's not some hot pretty boy, like in some of the comics. That's a nice change, and I wish they could've make Keanu look a little worse in the film version.

I can fully understand why long-time fans of the series would be so let down by the movie, though.