Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Indy's brother

I suppose this is relevant in some way, George Lucas' American Graffiti will be released on Blu-ray soon:

Universal officially have made public (via press site and early retailer alert) their plans to bring the classic 1973 George Lucas written and directed film ?American Graffiti? starring Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams, Mackenzie Phillips and Suzanne Somers to Blu-ray Disc on May 31st.

indyclone25

this week from the digital bits.................................

MY TWO CENTS - 5/23/11 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

Now then... a follow-up note from last week: A few dedicated Raiders fans have e-mailed to say that I'm surely wrong in my speculation that Raiders of the Lost Ark will come out on Blu-ray from Paramount in 2012, as THIS year marks the film's 30th anniversary. That's certainly a valid point, and it's one that I've absolutely considered. But here's the thing: I have a VERY hard time believing that Lucasfilm would allow their two biggest franchise properties to hit Blu-ray in the same year and thus directly compete with each other for holiday spending dollars. That just makes very little business sense. And since all 6 Star Wars films are already on tap for Blu-ray release in September - and Lucasfilm started promoting it way back in August of last year - Raiders seems to me unlikely for the format in 2011. On the other hand, with Paramount celebrating their 100th anniversary next year, what better way to celebrate that with the debut of a couple of their biggest catalog hits on Blu-ray - Titanic in the Spring and the Raiders Trilogy for the holidays? Hey... if Paramount announces Raiders BDs for the holidays this year at Comic-Con, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. But that's my guess as to how it'll play out, and what information we have from our industry sources so far seems to bear it out. We'll see...

IndianaJonesandtheTempleofDoom1984.jpg

Set in 1935, a professor, archaeologist, and legendary hero by the name of Indiana Jones is back in action in his newest adventure. But this time he teams up with a night club singer named Wilhelmina Willie Scott and a twelve-year-old boy named Short Round. They end up in an Indian small distressed village, where the people believe that evil spirits have taken all their children away after a sacred precious stone was stolen! They also discovered the great mysterious terror surrounding a booby-trapped temple known as the Temple of Doom! Thuggee is beginning to attempt to rise once more, believing that with the power of all five Sankara stones they can rule the world! Now, it s all up to Indiana to put an end to the Thuggee campaign, rescue the lost children, win the girl and conquer the Temple of Doom.

indyclone25

from the digital bits :Also this evening, our friend Michael Coate (a fellow ex-pat of mine from Widescreen Review magazine) has written up a nice look back at Steven Spielberg's Raiders of the Lost Ark over at the Cinema Treasures blog. The film celebrated its 30th anniversary on Sunday. Michael's compiled lots of interesting release details in the piece, so it's well worth a look. And don't forget: Our sources are telling us that the classic Raiders Trilogy is likely to arrive on Blu-ray Disc next year, as part of the 100th anniverary celebration for the Paramount studios.

Indy's brother

It can't come soon enough.ROTLA in my PS3 and also in my "Better than average Blu-Ray player" really needs an update. Images shift in steady shots, and there is an appalling amount of motion blur in the TOD mine-cart scenes.

Montana_Jones

indyclone25 said:
from the digital bits :Also this evening, our friend Michael Coate (a fellow ex-pat of mine from Widescreen Review magazine) has written up a nice look back at Steven Spielberg's Raiders of the Lost Ark over at the Cinema Treasures blog. The film celebrated its 30th anniversary on Sunday. Michael's compiled lots of interesting release details in the piece, so it's well worth a look. And don't forget: Our sources are telling us that the classic Raiders Trilogy is likely to arrive on Blu-ray Disc next year, as part of the 100th anniverary celebration for the Paramount studios.
I hope Bill Hunt dies an excrutiatingly painful death.(y)

Daley

I've got Temple of Doom in 1080p HD, and if the blu-rays look anything like this, we're all in for a treat!! The detail is incredible (you can literally count the beads on Willie's dress - it's that good), textures are so vivdly presented and it actually felt like I was watching it with fresh new eyes ;) Giddy as a schoolboy :whip:

Of course with the amount of detail and clarity, some of the ILM effects are just that much more obvious...but that's personally what I LOVE about the films anyway!

Indy's brother

Yeah, I noticed the quality of the HD broadcasts immediately. If they are improving what I've already seen, I think we'll all be very satisfied. I hear that in the Arab Swordsman scene of the ROTLA Blu-ray, the monkey shoots first. But I'm willing to overlook it.

Daley

See, I heard that the new CGI Yoda was going to pop out of a basket and lightsabre the swordsman in half! ;) (hell, I wouldn't put anything past Lucas)

But I am seriously looking forward to seeing these all in full HD, they way they were meant to be seen and enjoyed!:D

INCUBUSRATM

Well crap, it looks like now I'll have to re-buy them in Blu-Ray, after having to replace my VHS set with the DVD set... I love how the industry keeps bringing out new formats for us to buy! Yes Blu-Ray is better than DVD, for sure, but it doesn't agree with my wallet, and my massive DVD collection on my bookshelf doesn't want to be replaced! It sucks that I spent around $10-20 per DVD on that bookshelf, and now each one is probably only worth around $2-5...

EDIT: And yes Daley, I hope Lucas does NOT fudge up the Indy trilogy on Blu-Ray! I hate how he goes back and "fixes" things...

Daley

INCUBUSRATM said:
Well crap, it looks like now I'll have to re-buy them in Blu-Ray, after having to replace my VHS set with the DVD set... I love how the industry keeps bringing out new formats for us to buy! Yes Blu-Ray is better than DVD, for sure, but it doesn't agree with my wallet, and my massive DVD collection on my bookshelf doesn't want to be replaced! It sucks that I spent around $10-20 per DVD on that bookshelf, and now each one is probably only worth around $2-5...

EDIT: And yes Daley, I hope Lucas does NOT fudge up the Indy trilogy on Blu-Ray! I hate how he goes back and "fixes" things...

Ah man, I'm in the same boat, constantly double (triple?) dipping to keep up to speed with the releases. I don't have a blu-ray player just yet (waiting for the prices to considerably drop, which they already are starting to do) but at least we can take comfort in the fact that Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible with DVD's, so need need to immediately replace all of them (y)

The Man

Laserschwert said:
Recent HD-broadcasts look already quite stunning... if the Blu-rays are going to use the same transfers, they are going to be gorgeous (and with less compression and combing artifacts, yay!):

Any shots of the Ark in Hi-Def, Laser..?