Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

JayDee

I received an answer from the TV station. They will send me the show on DVD, but it can take 2 - 4 weeks until I get it.

Stoo

Hanselation said:
Meanwhile I've watched the scene a lot of times in slow motion.
And I think, theoretical it could be possible that they shoot the egg scene.
See here:
Hanselation, maybe you haven't read every word of this thread but the egg did NOT travel in a complicated path before Indy caught it. The Rube Goldberg method of delivery wasn't used. The egg fell directly into Indy's hand!
Hanselation said:
But ... I've seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in germany two times in the cinema in 1984, I saw it on VHS in 1986 (yellow cover) and all the other publications on VHS (Hollywood Collection, Trilogy Widescreen),DVDs and also the german TV-special with Ke Huy Quan. I was 17 years old when the promotion with Ke Huy Quan was shown, but I don't remember that there was shown the egg scene. And because I was already a Indiana Jones Fan that time, I think I would remember that.
Note: Just because the scene was included on a German VHS tape doesn't necessarily mean that it was shown in German theatres. Of all the (known) people who remember it, none of them (thus far) have reported seeing it on the big screen in Germany.
Hanselation said:
Also because the music fits exactly in the well known present versions, I can't believe that the scene was inside of the movie.
If the egg scene was implemented, there would be a cut or at least a unharmonic shift in the soundtrack.

I will be impressed if someone proves me wrong. :cool:
Soundtracks can be rearranged to fit the cut. The music at this point isn't constant and there are 2 places where the soundtrack trails off. As per the DVD:

0:15:13 - the point-of-view shot when the Pilot is looking at Indy & Shorty sleeping.
0:15:19 - just before the fuel-dump lever is pulled.

(Also, the UK version of "Doom" had several cuts in the heart-ripping/sacrifice scene and during Indy's fight with the Chief Thuggee. The soundtrack would have been modified to accomodate those missing shots.)
Hanselation said:
This egg topic fits so nice into the upcoming easter days. :D
Not just Easter but upcoming Passover as well (which starts April 18th this year). An egg is always part of Seder dinner!:)

Indy's brother

JayDee said:
I received an answer from the TV station. They will send me the show on DVD, but it can take 2 - 4 weeks until I get it.

Eggselsior! I hope after you view it, the doubters will have egg on their faces. It's an interesting route to take. Back in the 80's I saw many deleted scenes that were included for tv airings of films. I used to know why they used to do that, but I've long since forgotten.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Eggselsior! I hope after you view it, the doubters will have egg on their faces.
Until this moment, you *seem* to have been one of the doubters, Indy's Bro'.:p
Indy's brother said:
If there is any truth to this, it will go down as the biggest easter egg in the series.
and from Facebook:
Mike Martin via Facebook said:
This was storyboarded but.... was it actually filmed?
Indy's brother via Facebook said:
That's the rumor.....
As Montana Smith paraphrased the madcap, Matt deMille, some of us "have knowledge of the egg reality!" At what point did you cross over, Indy's brother?:confused:

P.S. I've found comments from a bunch of Australians who also saw the egg scene in the '84 theatrical release.:gun:

Stoo

chapter11 said:
Yes, that's me. And no, it's not a "fantasy" as Sharkey put it. It's real. It exists on film somewhere, or at least it did in 1984!
You're right, Josh/chapter11, it is NOT a fantasy. Sharkey is acting like an egghead.:D Out of all the extra stuff in the "Doom" novelization, why is the egg scene so specifically prominent in people's minds?
Sharkey said:
You’re all CRACKED!

Spelliing errors…the last resort of the dying man! It’s “fortunate,” and if anyone could produce a bit of proof that would be one thing. Maybe the egg scene was abducted by ancient aliens?

You all sound pathetic!
Sharkey, your hard-boiled exterior is a poor cover for the ignorant shell you've put yourself in...(That is: "I-didn't-see-it-so-it-doesn't-exist" frame of mind.) Talk about 'pathetic'...:rolleyes:
News article via Sharkey said:
The scenario described in the ad never occurred because Bugs Bunny is a Warner Bros. cartoon character and wouldn't be featured in any Walt Disney Co. property,...
Ha! Gimme a break...Tell that to Indiana Jones! (See this thread: Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection):whip:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Am I crazy or does Sharkey sound reasonable?
Sharkey isn't being reasonable because he DEMANDS IMMEDIATE proof which is what we (JayDee, chapter11, Flannery10 & myself) are in the process of doing. Presently, the reasons for why this rare scene was only shown in certain areas (and subsequently cut from further releases) cannot be determined but Sharkey makes the blanket statement that it's all bulls#!t. He is an ignorant fool...:D)

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Until this moment, you *seem* to have been one of the doubters, Indy's Bro'.:p

Stoo said:
some of us "have knowledge of the egg reality!" At what point did you cross over, Indy's brother?:confused:

What did I say that would have you doubt my suspicion that there may be some truth to this?:confused:

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
What did I say that would have you doubt my suspicion that there may be some truth to this?
My friend, Indy's brother, your quips were already quoted above.;) Do they really need to be repeated again?

"That's the rumor....."
"If there is any truth to this,..."

While your suspicions are understandable, believe me, they are misplaced. An egg scene WAS there in the print that I saw in May '84!:)

Any doubters/non-believers can go SCREW themselves!:gun:

===
Behold some MORE testimonies & memories of the egg scene...
From an Australian website called, DVD Plaza: http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=26365

18th November 2003
mabster (Australian)

We watched the Temple of Doom the other night, and I noticed a glaring omission in the version of the film on the DVD:

The last time I saw this movie (way back in the 80s when it was first released on VHS I think), I distinctly remember seeing a scene in the plane (near the start of the movie) where one of the 'evil' pilots comes out of the cockpit with the intent to kill Indy.

As he creeps towards the three sleeping passengers, a chicken egg rolls off a shelf, and the sleeping Indy catches the egg without waking up.

The pilot thinks better of his plan, and retreats back to the cockpit. Later, the two of them emerge and parachute out.

Does anyone else remember this? It's not on my (R1) copy of the movie. I wish I had an old VHS copy to compare!

18th November 2003
dhua666

yea i remember that scene.

18th November 2003
aeon (Darwin, NT)

hmm.. that rings a bell as well.

18th November 2003
PeterB (Australian)

I hadn't noticed it missing, but I do recall that scene.

20th November 2003
Monkeyboy (The Inner West)

Although I?m sure I?ve seen both the egg scene and a shot of the Monkeys brain...

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
My friend, Indy's brother, your quips were already quoted above.;) Do they really need to be repeated again?

"That's the rumor....."
"If there is any truth to this,..."

While your suspicions are understandable, believe me, they are misplaced. An egg scene WAS there in the print that I saw in May '84!:)

Well I wasn't trying to cast any doubt on the matter, but until it's resolved definitively, it wouldn't be prudent for me to make any statement to the certainty of this clip; having never seen it myself. Until it's been resolved with indisputable proof, I remain neutral on it's existence. I do not doubt the honesty of the claims, even if I'm not a full believer. Let's just say that I hold an agnostic view of the eggstra scene. Consider me a cheering section for you treasure hunters! ;)

Mickiana

I can't recall seeing the egg scene in the '84 theatre release here in Oz, nor on video release afterwards. You have to count me in as a doubter. You guys are counting your chickens before they're hatched!:p

Pale Horse

Staff member
There just might be a reward in this with visual proof ... provided for all to see. Imma doubter too.

Indy's brother

Regarding what I said earlier:

Indy's brother said:
Back in the 80's I saw many deleted scenes that were included for tv airings of films. I used to know why they used to do that, but I've long since forgotten.

After consulting a mystifying oracle known cryptically as an "Internet Search Engine" I re-learned the answer:

A scene made for a work (not planned, but actually made at least in part), but not included in the final release. These are often put back in special editions or included on the DVD release. They are also sometimes included in heavily-cut broadcast TV versions of films to stretch them back to a reasonable length.

The above quote was culled from this link, which also includes a few examples under the heading "TV Screening Additions".

Of course this could explain why some may have seen this scene on television.

Last edited:

InexorableTash

Meh, I "remember" seeing the scene in Raiders where Indy lashes himself to the periscope with his whip.

Like similar claims about having seen the Star Wars "Biggs Scene" in the theaters back in '77, this is far more likely to be a demonstration of memory plasticity than a grand conspiracy distort and conceal cinematic history. This almost certainly stems from having the Marvel Comics adaptation of Raiders, although I didn't even know I had owned them until a few years ago (when helping my parents sort out stuff during a move).

That said... I also remember a Frosted Mini-Wheats television commercial where the mascot proclaims "She'll be my love slave forever!". Hardly appropriate commentary from a breakfast cereal, I had convinced myself that this was also a false memory until I ran across it on an old video tape (and there's independent corroboration on the Internet). So strange memories of media are sometimes valid!

Sharkey

Just finished screwing myself...

Your testimonials are as valid as those for ancient aliens.

Stoo, you personally said you would post written and photographic evidence YESTERDAY, so give the Sharkey demands crap a rest.

Testimonials from other crackpots doesn't cut it. You may as well apologize to Matt deMille now and get it over with. With every post in this thread you become more like him.

Take the high road and save some dignity. Show us this proof and THEN we'll talk.

Stoo

Sharkey said:
Stoo, you personally said you would post written and photographic evidence YESTERDAY, so give the Sharkey demands crap a rest.

Take the high road and save some dignity. Show us this proof and THEN we'll talk.
Evidence that the scene was filmed (in direct response to JuniorJones' question, post #59), not proof that I, or anyone else, saw it.

I'll post the stuff when it's fully prepared. Even so, you probably won't believe anything until you actually see the scene for yourself. In the meantime, omelette you in on a secret: Real men don't eat quiche! (Anyone old enough to see "Raiders" in the theatre might remember this book.)

ts

Sharkey said:
Testimonials from other crackpots doesn't cut it. You may as well apologize to Matt deMille now and get it over with. With every post in this thread you become more like him.
Heh heh. There is a resemblence so I might as well go all out, eh?:p

On 3 seperate occasions, I have seen a giant chicken. At different houses, different ages. The first time, I was 3 years old and the giant chicken was outside. The 2nd time, I was aged 5 and the giant chicken was inside the house. The 3rd time, I was aged 10 and it was in my room. There is nothing in life that can prepare you for looking into the eyes of a giant chicken. It will blow your mind.

Since these encounters, I developed the power to break eggs whenever I get angry. One time, my friends and I were playing a game of Pirates & Poontangs at a friend's place when I had a hissy-fit and an egg that was on the table cracked without anyone touching it. Another time, I had a hissy-fit in the dairy section of a grocery store and dozens of eggs exploded. There were several witnesses. Over the years I've been subjected to a battery of psychological tests and the results show that I'm compeletely sane.

I don't go to poultry museums because they are filled with lies. I've been inside a chicken coop at a poultry farm but don't like to talk about it because of a bad experience I had at that farm.

Like I said, I have seen a giant chicken at the ages of 2, 6, 9 & 11 but I am NOT am abductee even though I vanished into thin air for 3 hours when I was in the 4th grade.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Heh heh. There is a resemblence so I might as well go all out, eh?:p

On 3 seperate occasions, I have seen a giant chicken. At different houses, different ages. The first time, I was 3 years old and the giant chicken was outside. The 2nd time, I was aged 5 and the giant chicken was inside the house. The 3rd time, I was aged 10 and it was in my room. There is nothing in life that can prepare you for looking into the eyes of a giant chicken. It will blow your mind.

Since these encounters, I developed the power to break eggs whenever I get angry. One time, my friends and I were playing a game of Pirates & Poontangs at a friend's place when I had a hissy-fit and an egg that was on the table cracked without anyone touching it. Another time, I had a hissy-fit in the dairy section of a grocery store and dozens of eggs exploded. There were several witnesses. Over the years I've been subjected to a battery of psychological tests and the results show that I'm compeletely sane.

I don't go to poultry museums because they are filled with lies. I've been inside a chicken coop at a poultry farm but don't like to talk about it because of a bad experience I had at that farm.

Like I said, I have seen a giant chicken at the ages of 2, 6, 9 & 11 but I am NOT am abductee even though I vanished into thin air for 3 hours when I was in the 4th grade.

So Stewie, did your dad have to fight the chicken to make it go away?

Family_Guy%20Peter%20and%20The%20Chicken%20Fighting,Blind%20Ambition.gif

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
So Stewie, did your dad have to fight the chicken to make it go away?
NO, unfortunately, because my family didn't see it.:(

By the way, the first Seder of Passover is 6 days away. A symbolic egg will be on the plate before Easter!:whip:
Indy's brother said:
This thread is getting so hot you could fry an egg on it!
Over 600 hits in the last couple of days. HOT, indeed.:)

Last edited:

Stoo

Back to the Egg

There is just w-a-ay too much to reply to in this thread so let's take things one at a time...First & foremost is JayDee!
JayDee said:
AWESOME!(y) In North America, it's not easy (impossible) to get copies of 25-year-old TV specials. Count yourself lucky! Whether it has the egg scene or not, it will be a cool rarity! (If you don't have a YouTube channel, I would gladly upload it for you...)
Indy's brother said:
Of course this could explain why some may have seen this scene on television.
Sorry, Indy's brother, but...NO. Erase this thought from your mind. Yes, indeed, sometimes network broadcasts would show extra stuff but if you read the testimonies, the egg was seen in the theatres.:gun: (Back in the day, I never watched "Doom" on TV because I had the VHS to watch at my own leisure.)

1) Our affiliated Raider.net website has VERY comprehesive pages about Indy DELETED SCENES but there is NO article about the egg scene in "Doom"...Curious, no?

2) Earlier in this conversation, I copied & pasted some posts from another website. One of the people linked to a Raven thread (c.2003 or earlier) which is now unretrievable. What was it?:confused:
mabster (18 November 2003) said:
This is the only page I've found that mentions the scene in my google searches:

http://www.theraider.net/theraven/p...p?threadid=4921

(do a 'Find' for the word 'egg' on that page)
CALLING Moedred, any idea?:confused: (I can't do a search for "egg" because the word is too short.)

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Sorry, Indy's brother, but...NO. Erase this thought from your mind. Yes, indeed, sometimes network broadcasts would show extra stuff but if you read the testimonies, the egg was seen in the theatres.:gun: (Back in the day, I never watched "Doom" on TV because I had the VHS to watch at my own leisure.)

I'm not disputing that it may have been a scene that was shown in theaters. However, there is no dispute that it was deleted from the theatrical version at some point if it did exist, otherwise everyone would remember it. That would make it a deleted scene. I guess what you are saying is that there is a specific definition of what constitutes a traditional "Deleted Scene" and this doesn't fit the bill? If The egg bit is not a deleted scene that was used for a television airing, then why should JayDee bother to obtain it? I don't understand your argument.