Young Telegraph newspaper comics

BrodyIsDead

Treaure of Monte Cassana up!

The UK rare comic "Indy & The Treasure of Monte Cassina" is on my fan page now:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy :whip:

As I've said elsewhere, apologies for # 4 which I realise now is a little blurred (had to use my digi camera to take photos of the pages rather than scan as the infernal machine's gone on the blink!) - I WILL retake the pic for #4 over the weekend and repost next week, but didn't want to keep anyone waiting more than they had to! Think it's still readable anyway (y)

Enjoy, y'all! Have a good weekend...

ps I've also realised my confusion over the Monte Cassino/Cassina spelling extends to me not reading it properly - it's actually "Cassana", but I'll sort out the spellings on the page properly next week too!

Stoo

A Gift From the Gods

Fantastic, BrodyIsDead! To date, this must be the rarest Indy comic out there.
Thanks a million times over.:D (y)

DIrishB

BrodyIsDead said:
The UK rare comic "Indy & The Treasure of Monte Cassina" is on my fan page now:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy :whip:

(y)

As I've said elsewhere, apologies for # 4 which I realise now is a little blurred (had to use my digi camera to take photos of the pages rather than scan as the infernal machine's gone on the blink!) - I WILL retake the pic for #4 over the weekend and repost next week, but didn't want to keep anyone waiting more than they had to! Think it's still readable anyway (y)

Awesome. #4 is very readable (especially when I print it out). Though a cleaner picture would be appreciated!

Enjoy, y'all! Have a good weekend...

ps I've also realised my confusion over the Monte Cassino/Cassina spelling extends to me not reading it properly - it's actually "Cassana", but I'll sort out the spellings on the page properly next week too!

I noticed that too. I'll do some research when I get home (at work now) to see if there are any real life historical references that might help pin down the chronology of it (when it takes place). If not, I assume it was a mistake or intentional change on behalf of the writer/editor.

Thanks BrodyIsDead...really, thanks a lot, man. This is great!

Stoo said:
Fantastic, BrodyIsDead! To date, this must be the rarest Indy comic out there.
Thanks a million times over.

Indeed. Nowhere was this available in present day before now, even on the internet. Brody is definitly the Indy of rare Indy tales. ;)

DIrishB

So, after reading the story and doing a bit of research, I think the best time to place the Monte Cassana tale is January, 1944. The reason for this is because January marked the beginning of the Battle of Monte Cassino (the real life location is referred to as Monte Cassino...the Indy version is Monte Cassana...not sure why) started in January of that year. But, on January 17, the monastary (where I presume this tale takes place) was destroyed by American planes (they assumed the Axis powers were using it as a base). Since Indy enters the monastary in this tale, I think the best timeframe is sometime in early or mid January, but before January 17.

God...I need to become less obsessed with timelines and chronologies.

;)

Stoo

BrodyIsDead said:
And I've got no problems with the scans being cleaned up if you have the time to do that and then send me them -
can you do that through PM here? If not I can PM you my email addy...
Below is a example of what I had in mind. It's reduced in size but I have a larger one that matches the
dimensions/resolution of Rob Dangerous' images and minus your original scan. (Added just for comparison.)
If this meets your approval, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the others when done.:D

901020_MountainsSuperstition03ab.jpg

DIrishB

Stoo, that looks amazing! I am very impressed. I thought it might bring the color back a little...but that looks like its brand new. Wow...it even got rid of the minor creases! Amazing, man!

Stoo

Thanks, DIrish. The "it" is yours truly, heh heh.:D I painted over the creases and had to enhance the blacks & whites of
each individual panel, balloon, etc. What am I using? Photoshop. (Been working with it for 15 years.:eek:) Some of the other
pages have creases but not as large as this one so they'll be a bit easier to do. If I tweak Rob Dangerous' scans then the
whole collection could look pretty uniform.

It's too bad the comic changes format midway through. Weeks 1-6 are 2 strips of panels while 7-12 increase to 3 strips.
It would be cool to make a little mini-comic book of this!

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Thanks, DIrish. The "it" is yours truly, heh heh.:D

No offense meant. When I said "it", I meant the program you were using. Photoshop is awesome!

I painted over the creases and had to enhance the blacks & whites of
each individual panel, balloon, etc. What am I using? Photoshop. (Been working with it for 15 years.:eek:) Some of the other
pages have creases but not as large as this one so they'll be a bit easier to do. If I tweak Rob Dangerous' scans then the
whole collection could look pretty uniform.

It's too bad the comic changes format midway through. Weeks 1-6 are 2 strips of panels while 7-12 increase to 3 strips.
It would be cool to make a little mini-comic book of this!

I agree. Still, it looks really, really good. I can't wait to see the rest of the strips once you've "fixed" them up some.

ResidentAlien said:
Just read this strip this morning. Thanks to all involved for providing this; I enjoyed it immensely.

Agreed. Thanks again to BrodyIsDead for sharing these rare Indy tales with us...and for Stoo for taking it upon himself to touch them up a bit. You guys are great!

Johnny Jones

Stoo said:
Below is a example of what I had in mind. It's reduced in size but I have a larger one that matches the
dimensions/resolution of Rob Dangerous' images and minus your original scan. (Added just for comparison.)
I wouldn't mind if it was kept smaller. The old ones were filling up my entire screen and then some (but maybe it's my monitor being stupid?). And WOW, that is just incredible what you did. It looks like someone actually recolored it. BrodyIsDead, thank you for getting the ball rolling, and please let Stoo clean up the rest of them too. :eek: (Pretend this smily is gaping in astonishment and not screaming in terror)

BrodyIsDead

"All Things Indy" fan page updated - with ALL Young Telegraph comic strips!

Hi, everyone,

sorry it's been an age since I said I'd get the two remaining Young Telegraph comic strip adaptations of Young Indy & The Plantation Treasure and Young Indy & The Princess of Peril up on my Indy fan page, but finally I'm pleased to report they're up there now - here's the link again:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy :cool:

Enjoy, y'all! Hopefully this'll help to fill a gap till Rob MacGregor is able to release his Staff of Kings book! :p

I've also added a few photos onto my page now of my various encounters with Indy so far...

Just like to give a big shout out to DIrishB for hooking me up with the US copies of the new Indy "Lost Adventures" books (y)

Take it easy, everyone!

BrodyIsDead (aka Chris A. from the UK)

BrodyIsDead

Updates done properly - oops!

BrodyIsDead said:
Hi, everyone,

sorry it's been an age since I said I'd get the two remaining Young Telegraph comic strip adaptations of Young Indy & The Plantation Treasure and Young Indy & The Princess of Peril up on my Indy fan page, but finally I'm pleased to report they're up there now - here's the link again:

Enjoy, y'all! Hopefully this'll help to fill a gap till Rob MacGregor is able to release his Staff of Kings book! :p

I've also added a few photos onto my page now of my various encounters with Indy so far...

Just like to give a big shout out to DIrishB for hooking me up with the US copies of the new Indy "Lost Adventures" books (y)

Take it easy, everyone!

BrodyIsDead (aka Chris A. from the UK)

Hi, again, everyone,

apologies to anyone who visited my fan site and found there to be some skewy page formatting and the odd link that didn't work - they're all fixed now, though, so enjoy the read... :hat:

If there's anything else that anyone comes across that looks wrong/doesn't work, let me know either here on this thread or via the email link on the page:

http://b.c.carden.googlepages.com/allthingsindy

Stoo

BrodyIsDead said:

Chris/BrodyIsDead, I cannot thank you enough! Your generosity is UNREPAYABLE and all lovers of rare Indy tales owe you their deepest thanks.:hat: I didn't realize you actually had the missing pages for these other 2 tales so this is a wonderful surprise. Now we have all 3 stories - COMPLETE! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

BrodyIsDead said:
I second the motion. DIrishB is a true dude.:cool:

Jono11 said:
Stoo, did you do restorations like that for all the pages?
No, but this update is a definite inspiration to finish off the rest.;)

AnnieJones

Rob Dangerous said:
The Indy Comics were part of the Young Telegraph's second run, which started in October 1990. The release days were all saturdays - I'm not sure if that means the Young Telegraph was part of saturday issues of the Daily Telegraph or part of the Sunday Telegraph.
I don't know about where you live,but around here Sundays are in color and Monday through Saturday are usually in black and white.

BrodyIsDead

All Things Indy down temporarily

Hi, everyone,

just thought I'd better let you know that my Indy fan site with the scans of the Young Telegraphy comic strips mentioned above is down temporarily as I experience some "technical difficulties" with GoogleSites - formerly GooglePages which I was using to host the pictures of the strips...

I'll do my best to restore them soon! And will post on this thread again when it's all sorted (y)

Happy New Year, y'all ;)

cool indy

The Young Telegraph & IJ Adventure Club Magazine

If anybody has all the issues of Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition, Plantation Treasure, Princess of Peril,and Indiana Jones and the Treasure of Monte Cassana, the Sword of Excalibur,and be willing to sell them cheap, please tell me?:D :confused: :dead: :eek: :( :eek: :mad: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :gun: :sick: