Guess the year Indy V will be set

What year do you think Indy V will be set?

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 4 11.4%

Votes: 6 17.1%

Votes: 9 25.7%

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Raiders90

Now that we know Indy V will be set in the 1960s, guess the year.

My guesses, in order of what I think is likely:

Randy_Flagg

Indy got his first real six string, bought it at the five and dime. He played it til his fingers bled, it was summer of 69. He and some guys from school had a band and they tried real hard. Shorty quit, Willie got married. Should have know they'd never get far....

(Okay, I got the obligatory Bryan Adams reference out of the way... carry on.)

Face_Melt

RaidersLovers said:
1970, if we make the same between the crusade and the skull.

A. Steven Spielberg just confirmed it would be set in the late 60?s.

B. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out in 2008 and was set in 1957, Indy 5 hits theaters in 2020. So 12 years between the films = 1969.

Raiders90

It's gonna be so weird seeing "1967" "1968" or "1969" in the opening.

I really hope they don't push a feminist agenda, wherein Indy is portrayed as a sexist dinosaur and his young female assistant knows more about archaeology than he ever could and takes the spotlight from him every step of the way.

Walecs

Raiders112390 said:

I really hope they don't push a feminist agenda, wherein Indy is portrayed as a sexist dinosaur and his young female assistant knows more about archaeology than he ever could and takes the spotlight from him every step of the way.

You forgot misogynist :hat:

Gwydion

Raiders112390 said:

And then he shags her.

Gear

Late '60s? Hmm, the era of a new age search for spiritual enlightenment, submerged remnants speculated to be Atlantis make headlines, activist groups in the West become more militant, cults, imfamous conspiracies, LSD used as a sort of new kind of "Blood of Kali"?... etc.

If written well, could be.. pretty far out.

Joe Brody

Given Ford's age, I went late '60's and picked '68 because it was the most historically significant. Just ask Jaromir Jagr.

Raiders90

If it does take place in 1968 that would actually be cool. Indy would have had a full 60 years of adventures under his belt, taking into account the Young Indy series (whose first adventure is set in 1908) and we'll be exactly 30 years from Last Crusade. A 60 year adventuring career. Not bad.

Udvarnoky

Gear said:
Late '60s? Hmm, the era of a new age search for spiritual enlightenment, submerged remnants speculated to be Atlantis make headlines, activist groups in the West become more militant, cults, imfamous conspiracies, LSD used as a sort of new kind of "Blood of Kali"?... etc.

If written well, could be.. pretty far out.

INDIANA JONES AND THE LORD OF SUMMERISLE

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I sounds like Spielberg says "It'll be in the sixties, something late in the sixties" but I'm not totally sure.

Gear

Sounds non-committal from Steve.

That being said, as much as I love the Beatles, if they go with the 'meeting topical figures' route, like YIJC and LC and aesthetically and musically KotCS, , they shouldn't pass up the opportunity for a Doors pass by, somehow. If they're gonna go that route. And, of course, if it fits in. You guys know why it could be great.

Break on Through the Fourth Wall (?)

DoomsdayFAN

1969 seems appropriate. Plus, if you factor in other events in the world at the time, I think it could make things interesting.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Using math:
Let us assume that sequels to Raiders of the Lost Ark that come out x years later, are set x - 6 years after it. According to this method, Indy 5 will actually be set 34 years after Raiders, marking it firmly in 1970. Apollo 13, Kent State, the Beatles breaking up ? whichever screenwriter eventually writes the final draft would have a lot to work with.

However, we can go further. Using a linear regression model, I attempted to plot the pace that time passes in the Indiana Jones universe compared to our own. With x being years since Raiders in the real world, and y being years since Raiders in Indy?s world, I found that the line of best fit for Indy-time came out to y = 0.818024x - 1.87695. (That?s right: Indiana Jones only ages 82 percent as fast as we do.) Under this model, Indy 5 will be set in 1966: the height of the British invasion, the escalation of the Vietnam War, the last year of legal LSD.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
Using math:

However, we can go further. Using a linear regression model, I attempted to plot the pace that time passes in the Indiana Jones universe compared to our own. With x being years since Raiders in the real world, and y being years since Raiders in Indy?s world, I found that the line of best fit for Indy-time came out to y = 0.818024x - 1.87695. (That?s right: Indiana Jones only ages 82 percent as fast as we do.) Under this model, Indy 5 will be set in 1966: the height of the British invasion, the escalation of the Vietnam War, the last year of legal LSD.

I'm delighted by this approach.

Forbidden Eye

Moedred said:

Are we forgetting he drank from the grail?

Lets just have that be the reason to explains he's alive and well in the 21st century. Lets just make a hilarious modern-day slapstick comedy starring Indiana Jones! Can you imagine Dr. Jones reacting to an iPhone? It'll be hysterical! And in touch with the millennials! Gotta make sure that generation doesn't find themselves out of their comfort zone!

TheFirebird1

Forbidden Eye said:
Are we forgetting he drank from the grail?

Lets just have that be the reason to explains he's alive and well in the 21st century. Lets just make a hilarious modern-day slapstick comedy starring Indiana Jones! Can you imagine Dr. Jones reacting to an iPhone? It'll be hysterical! And in touch with the millennials! Gotta make sure that generation doesn't find themselves out of their comfort zone!
First off, I know you're joking there, but the Grail's effect's immediately diminish once Indy passes the Great Seal. And why the fear of millenials? They went in droves to see Crystal Skull, so why won't they go see Indy in the 60s? It's starting to become more than a little nonsensical.
Addendum: You might be referring to "Gen-Z" when you talk about millenials. I've made that mistake before, but the iPhone generation (as you allude to) is mostly made up of those born after 1994 into 2004.