Indy 5 news 2017

Moedred said:
Jim Broadbent?

Mark Hamill is willing too.
Edit: jump to 1:26:05.

Found these in a listicle of all places.

I could see both of them being included. Jim is a given because without John Hurt he has no other connection back to campus. Mark because he didn't see Harrison and Mark together in Force Awakens. It would be distracting to have them both in an Indiana Jones film though.

curmudgeon

WB's film panel at San Diego Comic Con (Saturday the 22nd) is scheduled to have both Ford (for 'Blade Runner 2049') and Spielberg (for 'Ready Player One') attending.

Hopefully, we can get some quotes out of them in some post-panel press interviews.

Face_Melt

Bummer about no Indy 5 news at D23. However they did give lots of cool news and updates on 2019 Disney films which to me says next year we will get Indy 5 news. They even showed a live action lion king trailer even though the film has barely been filming and doesn't come out until 2019.

Plus, Harrison looks great literally fighting and running in the newest Blade Runner trailer.

Just hang in there guys! We are only 1 year away from real juicy Indy 5 news and maybe MAYBE set photos and conception teasers.

Hanselation

Face_Palm said:
Bummer about no Indy 5 news at D23. However they did give lots of cool news and updates on 2019 Disney films which to me says next year we will get Indy 5 news. They even showed a live action lion king trailer even though the film has barely been filming and doesn't come out until 2019.

Plus, Harrison looks great literally fighting and running in the newest Blade Runner trailer.

Just hang in there guys! We are only 1 year away from real juicy Indy 5 news and maybe MAYBE set photos and conception teasers.

There is so much silence in the Disney's Indy marketing. Meanwhile I think after a success of Blade Runner 2049 H. F. will retire. He did all his famous roles from the 1980th after a couple of years again: Indiana Jones 2008, Han Solo 2015, Rick Deckard 2017. - LET IT GO!
But of course I would like to see him in a new Indiana Jones anyway....

Face_Melt

Hanselation said:
There is so much silence in the Disney's Indy marketing. Meanwhile I think after a success of Blade Runner 2049 H. F. will retire. He did all his famous roles from the 1980th after a couple of years again: Indiana Jones 2008, Han Solo 2015, Rick Deckard 2017. - LET IT GO!
But of course I would like to see him in a new Indiana Jones anyway....

In recent interviews Harrison Ford confirmed he plans to never retiring from being in movies.

Silvor

Yeah it was disappointing with no Indy 5 news at D23. Hopefully somebody will ask Ford and or Spielberg (if he's there) about it during San Diego Comicon this weekend.

Raiders90

Question is, when should we start expecting to hear REAL Indy 5 news around? I mean things such as rumors about what the script is about, stuff about pre-production etc? When do you guys think the rumor train will hit high gear?

Udvarnoky

A lot depends on whether the postponing of the release date means a postponing of the start date (originally said to be summer '18 by Spielberg). It probably does, but I am hoping they are less reckless about Ford's age than that and prioritize the project over Edgardo Mortara accordingly.

Koepp was hired in the spring of 2016. If two full years isn't enough to write and refine a good script then they've just been screwing around. Period.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A bunch of generic news sites are parroting that it's coming in 2019 again. I'm beginning to suspect these stories are completely assembled by bots.

IndyForever

Udvarnoky said:
A lot depends on whether the postponing of the release date means a postponing of the start date (originally said to be summer '18 by Spielberg). It probably does, but I am hoping they are less reckless about Ford's age than that and prioritize the project over Edgardo Mortara accordingly.

Koepp was hired in the spring of 2016. If two full years isn't enough to write and refine a good script then they've just been screwing around. Period.
I think they have the exact same problem since 2008....finding something which works cinematically which they have not done before. They probably have the genre & main idea but getting Indy A to B & throwing some cool new stuff into that mix has always been the problem. Lucas was always the ideas man that's why he took years to research relics (actually Deborah Fine @ Lucasfilm did on his behalf!). Its uncertain if Lucas will even spend any worthwhile time on this as he is retired & Lucas clearly does not care about another Indy movie.

When Koepp was hired in 2016 he was probably tasked with looking at all the existing story material from the Lucasfilm archives with a view to pulling some decent stuff out to re-use (like they did on Indy 2,3 & 4!) then trying to make it all fit together & still keep it fresh & make it seem like its worth filming. Disney will also insist on several younger audience friendly characters & sequences so they can market globally as Ford & Spielberg alone will not be enough for Disney to give them $200M (without Ford & Spielberg salaries!) to make the movie as its going to be costly due to the time period & massive CGI work required to alter locations. We all know they have plenty of existing material like the Chris Columbus story & several false starts on KOTCS generated several ideas as well.

This needs to start filming 2018 or early 2019 if its going to make the new release date without any rush so Spielberg can polish it like the hope diamond ;)

Udvarnoky

Spielberg has historically been very good with tight production schedules. It's the script-writing phase that needs time to percolate, but two years should be more than enough if they're actually working on it.

Trying to liken it to how the previous film came together probably isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. The development of Indiana Jones 4 seemed to be less about scripts being rejected for quality reasons than being rejected because Spielberg and Lucas kept shooting down the other's story idea. if you break down the development timeline, each individual screenwriter was handed a story outline and had a pretty reasonable period of 12-18 months on the project during which they turned in a couple of drafts, usually under the direction of one of the Beards.

With the exception of the first incarnation (which was written by Stuart then passed to Boam), each screenwriter was association with a single incarnation of Indy 4's story. When Boam turned in his final draft that satisfied Lucas, Spielberg did not turn it down because he thought it sucked, but because he didn't think the approach was valid after Independence Day. It's worth noting that Stuart and Boam worked pretty much exclusively under Lucas (possibly because Spielberg still had the "I'll just be a producer" attitude toward the project during that initial phase).

A few years pass, then Lucas comes up with the Chariots of the Gods approach. Story conferences are held, Lucas and Spielberg hire Darabont. Darabont works on his drafts for a year or so almost exclusively under Spielberg (possibly because Lucas was knee-deep in the Star Wars prequels), and turns in a final draft to Spielberg's satisfaction. Lucas shoots it down for reasons unknown.

The project is reset again. Jeff Nathanson is hired and more story conferences are held. Unlike his predecessors, Nathanson toggles between Spielberg and Lucas when he writes his drafts, which Lucas tellingly admits caused the screenwriter to be caught between him and Spielberg and probably doomed his version.

Project reset again. Koepp is hired. He doesn't want a repeat of what happened to Nathanson, so he insists on working directly under Spielberg. A year and a few drafts later, the script finally get everyone's approval. Was it a matter of quality, or was everyone's resistance just knackered by attrition at that point? At any rate, that's how things ended up for the fourth movie.

When you look at that pattern, you don't so much get the impression that the writers were doing poor work but rather that Lucas and Spielberg kept disagreeing with each other's ideas - the screenwriters were just the operatives hired to flesh those ideas. With Lucas seemingly not involved with Indiana Jones 5 in a creative capacity, the project shouldn't be dealing with that issue. I think with Indy 5, it's simply a matter of whether the project is actually getting attention. If Spielberg and Koepp have been really focusing on this project, they should already have something solid that they are polishing to a shine. If not...

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
Spielberg has historically been very good with tight production schedules. It's the script-writing phase that needs time to percolate, but two years should be more than enough if they're actually working on it.

Trying to liken it to how the previous film came together probably isn't an apples-to-apples comparison. The development of Indiana Jones 4 seemed to be less about scripts being rejected for quality reasons than being rejected because Spielberg and Lucas kept shooting down the other's story idea. if you break down the development timeline, each individual screenwriter was handed a story outline and had a pretty reasonable period of 12-18 months on the project during which they turned in a couple of drafts, usually under the direction of one of the Beards.

With the exception of the first incarnation (which was written by Stuart then passed to Boam), each screenwriter was association with a single incarnation of Indy 4's story. When Boam turned in his final draft that satisfied Lucas, Spielberg did not turn it down because he thought it sucked, but because he didn't think the approach was valid after Independence Day. It's worth noting that Stuart and Boam worked pretty much exclusively under Lucas (possibly because Spielberg still had the "I'll just be a producer" attitude toward the project during that initial phase).

A few years pass, then Lucas comes up with the Chariots of the Gods approach. Story conferences are held, Lucas and Spielberg hire Darabont. Darabont works on his drafts for a year or so almost exclusively under Spielberg (possibly because Lucas was knee-deep in the Star Wars prequels), and turns in a final draft to Spielberg's satisfaction. Lucas shoots it down for reasons unknown.

The project is reset again. Jeff Nathanson is hired and more story conferences are held. Unlike his predecessors, Nathanson toggles between Spielberg and Lucas when he writes his drafts, which Lucas tellingly admits caused the screenwriter to be caught between him and Spielberg and probably doomed his version.

Project reset again. Koepp is hired. He doesn't want a repeat of what happened to Nathanson, so he insists on working directly under Spielberg. A year and a few drafts later, the script finally get everyone's approval. Was it a matter of quality, or was everyone's resistance just knackered by attrition at that point? At any rate, that's how things ended up for the fourth movie.

When you look at that pattern, you don't so much get the impression that the writers were doing poor work but rather that Lucas and Spielberg kept disagreeing with each other's ideas - the screenwriters were just the operatives hired to flesh those ideas. With Lucas seemingly not involved with Indiana Jones 5 in a creative capacity, the project shouldn't be dealing with that issue. I think with Indy 5, it's simply a matter of whether the project is actually getting attention. If Spielberg and Koepp have been really focusing on this project, they should already have something solid that they are polishing to a shine. If not...

Spielberg didn't even want to do a fourth film by his own admission. He was more than content to have Last Crusade be the final film, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming both by Lucas' prodding and the fans' desire to helm KOTCS. Why would he place a fifth on any high level of priority? It's probably more of a pain in the ass to him than anything else. The film is vaporware. It'll be cancelled (at least in its current Ford-led form) by the end of next year. Mark my words.

Silvor

Raiders112390 said:
Spielberg didn't even want to do a fourth film by his own admission. He was more than content to have Last Crusade be the final film, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming both by Lucas' prodding and the fans' desire to helm KOTCS. Why would he place a fifth on any high level of priority? It's probably more of a pain in the ass to him than anything else. The film is vaporware. It'll be cancelled (at least in its current Ford-led form) by the end of next year. Mark my words.
Somehow I doubt it, seeing as he actually was really keen on making the fifth one with Ford.
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a676667/steven-spielberg-has-a-fervent-hope-that-indiana-jones-5-will-happen/

Udvarnoky

Spielberg did not want to make Indy 4 initially, but his investment in the project fluctuated over the years - which is pretty reasonable because there were fifteen of those years and many different iterations. It sounds like he was pretty excited about Darabont's version. I think by the end he was interested in the project based less on the material and more on it representing a reunion with old friends and a valentine to the fans. Actual fan reaction nonwithstanding.

Z dweller

Which is why I'd much rather have a whole new team on board, with the beards in some kind of EP role only.

New blood, more energy and full commitment is what we need for the series at this stage.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
Which is why I'd much rather have a whole new team on board, with the beards in some kind of EP role only.

New blood, more energy and full commitment is what we need for the series at this stage.

I want one last Spielberg/Ford film to make up for KOTCS and close the book properly on his Indy, and then move on. Ideally with a prequel, not a reboot. I'm very interested to see what a Spielberg Indy without Lucas' input will be like.

IndyBuff

It's been clear to me for years that Spielberg doesn't hold Indy in as high a priority as he used to. If this film, along with KOTCS, had really been a priority then we would have had them many years ago.