The Disneyfication of Indiana Jones - Due 7/18/18!

Indyologist

Hey guys, I know I promised this article a while back, but I haven't delivered. Sorry about that. I am going to do my level best to have this article posted here in "Indy Fanwork and Activities" by 12 noon, Wednesday, July 18th. Please hold me to this, cheering me on and giving me much encouragement, because my free time is short (working full-time now, M-F 3p-11p and every 4th/5th weekend or so), and my motivation, self-discipline, and drive is all rather low. I have always had problems meeting deadlines, which is not good if you are a freelance writer. I have been professionally published in the past in a newspaper, several poetry volumes, and won first prize on an essay on Irving Berlin when I was in high school. I have a BA in English/Liberal Arts. I am also trying to get back into journaling for my emotional/mental health, but that hasn't worked out very well because of the reasons I stated above.

However, I am dying to get back into my craft, and I would love to write for Indymag. Junior Jones is looking forward to this, God bless him for the opportunity, and I hope I can please both him and our dear Indyfans. If you believe in prayer, please say some for me regarding my writing, that I would be faithful and disciplined and creative. Regarding my writing (as questionable as it may be), please only post encouragement and cheer me on regarding this Indiana Jones article. Please, no subtle put-downs, negativity or flaming. I don't need this. It doesn't exactly spur on creativity and good feelings, m'kay?

I have a lot of research to do regarding this article, and I'm looking forward to writing it very much! Overall, I am pleased with my level of my craft. I personally feel I have great talent and I would love to share this gift with others, informing and encouraging them. I originally wanted to be a librarian and I took a few classes towards my Masters of Library Science, but due to financial difficulties, it didn't work out and my heart was broken. I love connecting people and information and I love assisting and serving others in whatever way I can. But life goes on and continues, and I look forward to every moment. Thank you in advance for your love and encouragment regarding my Indy article and my writing in general. I love you all. :hat: Whew! Glad I got all that off my chest! :whip:

Last edited:

Indyologist

Help Re: Research

As Indyfans, I'd like to know what your questions and concerns are regarding the "Disneyfication" of Indy. What are your expectations? Your fears? Your positive and negative questions and observations? For example, think about and try to answer these questions:

1. Under Disney, how much do you feel Indy's character/personality/motives change?
2. How will Indy be depicted?
3. How do you think the Beards (Lucas, Spielberg) & Ford will think of Indy's depiction? What do you think they would like to see?
4. What would like to see changed? What wouldn't you want to change about Indy?
5. Indy is a man of action and, yes, let's face it: a man of violence. Will Indy use anything (his gun, a chair leg, etc.) to kill a man again? Or will Indy be more of a pacifist? What is your opinion should this change occur?

Here, ask your own questions and salient comments on the issue of the "Disneyfication" of Indy's lifestyle, motives, and personality... thanks so much for your input!

TheFirebird1

Indyologist said:
1. Under Disney, how much do you feel Indy's character/personality/motives change?
Although there's been nothing solid so far in terms of Indy merchandise/films, I heavily doubt his character will change at all. He's simple as far as a lot of characters go. A professor with a roguish streak who attempts to place artifacts into museums and preserve history. There's not much of a way to screw that up, and I doubt Disney will consider changing his character whatsoever. (For example, Han Solo in The Force Awakens remained pretty true to his original character, and Disney handled it quite well.)
Indyologist said:
2. How will Indy be depicted?
At the moment, Spielberg seems to have complete directorial control over the project, so my answer would be just like the other four films. Whether we see a lighter portrayal (a la TLC and KOTCS) or darker portrayal is up to the screenwriters, and seeing the films they've made (Jurassic Park, Solo, KOTCS), it's possible that we'll see a more fun Indy.
Indyologist said:
3. How do you think the Beards (Lucas, Spielberg) & Ford will think of Indy's depiction? What do you think they would like to see?
I'd imagine they want to see a true to form version of the character, and given that they have pretty independent control over the production, that'll be what we receive.
Indyologist said:
4. What would like to see changed? What wouldn't you want to change about Indy?
I'd like the film to be a little more intense than the previous installment. The action could be definitely more imaginative, even with Harrison's age. I wouldn't, of course, want the action to be watered down.
Indyologist said:
5. Indy is a man of action and, yes, let's face it: a man of violence. Will Indy use anything (his gun, a chair leg, etc.) to kill a man again? Or will Indy be more of a pacifist? What is your opinion should this change occur?
Of course, we don't know for certain about any of these questions, so I can't answer definitively, but I don't think audiences are going to enjoy seeing Indiana Jones do absolutely nothing in terms of action for the movie, so again I'm going to doubt the probability of a drastic change like that.
In the end, I think a lot of concerns about Indy's supposed "Disneyfication" are unfounded, to say the least. As mentioned before, there's absolutely zero evidence that they'll attempt to sanitize his character, and given how the film seems to be relatively outside the tight control of Lucasfilm and more in the Beards' hands, it's safe to assume that Indy 5 will be just like any other Indy film. And I'm excited for it! (y) Will be sure to check out your article when it comes out, I'm interested.

Indyologist

Firebird, you are indeed an intelligent thinker. Great insights, dear. Everybody else, please post. I'm dying to know what the rest of you think and the information/insights you give me is valuable research information which I will be using in my article. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts... :hat:

Indyologist

Computer Issues Put Article Deadline in Jeopardy...

Hi guys. I hate to disappoint you all, but I may miss the deadline for my article. Unfortunately, I'm having issues with my stupid computer and the problem seems to be getting worse. Here is the issue I've been having as told to my computer guy, Shaun, in an e-mail I sent to him recently, including my personal comments to this e-mail.

"Hey Shaun:

For the past few months, I'll log in to my computer and start using it as usual and then suddenly, in the middle of my work, my screen "blacks out" and it will stop responding no matter how many times I click my mouse buttons, press "esc" or hit my power button.* The screen will eventually come back on after hitting all these buttons, and I'll be back where I left off whether I'm on the internet, typing on my word processing program, etc.* BUT, eventually it "blacks out" again and I have to repeat the process.* I end up having to log back in several times to go back to my work and it's aggravating as hell.* The screen also remains "blacked out" when I boot up my computer and the only way I know it's actually on is by looking for the little light on the side of my computer that indicates it's on.* I don't think it's an electrical issue because my computer does not shut off when it "blacks out," but I don't know what this issue could be.* What are your ideas?* How much will this cost me?* Should I bring my computer in for you to look at?* Thanks for any information you could give me."

My comments to what he told me: "7/13/18: Spoke to Shaun on the phone today and he said he sent me 2 e-mail replies to the above regarding my issue, but I never received them. Anyhoo, he said that I should bring my computer in and he will have to test it to see what the problem is. He has no idea how much it will cost to fix it. I told him I will bring in my computer sometime during the week next week at noon when they open. How the hell much is this going to cost me?! Brother... I HATE the thought of being without my damn computer!!!!"

So that's my issue, my dears. It's aggrevating as hell, and I don't know if I'll be able to finish my article on time if this keeps happening. I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything. Sorry guys. We'll see if this works out. Either way, I've GOT to bring my computer in to the shop this coming week. I can't stand having my computer act up like this anymore... stupid piece of crap... :mad: My sincere apologies in advance for this situation. Thanks for your understanding... I love you all. ~Indyologist

Falcon

Is there any way you can get your hands on another monitor to test it, or hook your computer up to your TV if your video card has an HDMI port? At least that way you could determine if the problem is your monitor or your computer.

Indyologist

Falcon said:
Is there any way you can get your hands on another monitor to test it, or hook your computer up to your TV if your video card has an HDMI port? At least that way you could determine if the problem is your monitor or your computer.

Nope, Falcon, no can do. I've got a laptop. Anyhoo, I've done some research about this problem online (apparently it's a common one with Windoze 10) and sometime tomorrow or the next day I'm going to (ulp) attempt to fix this problem myself to save precious time without my computer and (possibly) a s--tload of $$. Wish me luck. Hopefully, everything will be alright. I mean, I'm not a big-time computer geek (well, kinda), but hey-- I'm pretty freakin' smart, I have good common sense and I can read. So... here goes. :gun: