Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

DIrishB

Lord_glavin said:
rumor from the gamestop expo that a new trailer for staff of kings is going to be released next week

source: 1up.com

hopefully they are right, I'm dieing for some news

That will be nice. I'm looking forward to it.

The Tingler

This goes with the prediction (which could well have been made by me guessing wildly) that LucasArts would get The Force Unleashed out the way and then starting hyping their next game, Indy Sok. It would also make sense if they're planning on releasing the handheld version alongside the Indy IV DVD release...

Irfaan

The Tingler said:
This goes with the prediction (which could well have been made by me guessing wildly) that LucasArts would get The Force Unleashed out the way and then starting hyping their next game, Indy Sok. It would also make sense if they're planning on releasing the handheld version alongside the Indy IV DVD release...

I hope they at least do that. I would buy it for psp (since its the only hanheld i have) and for xbox 360 when that version finally comes out. It would be really good for me.

HovitosKing

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) read that the game might be released to coincide with the KOTCS DVD later this year...which would suggest to me that the game is going to suck (the lack of closing speed suggests the same). Big games get big lead-ins, with tons of articles, reviews, etc. written about gameplay and graphics. I haven't heard anything about the game's development, gameplay, multiplayer/online functionality, etc. in a long time, and that's never been much more than speculation based on a couple of minutes' worth of videotaped gameplay. I think this game is going to be a bomb. My prediction is that it doesn't even try to set any standards, it's just going to rely on brand recognition to sell a basic number of units and turn a small profit (although with all the time spent developing it, that might be tough to do). The reviews I've seen for Force Unleashed aren't very impressive, and that's a product hailing from the cashcow Star Wars franchise.

indyclone25

The Tingler said:
Don't worry, that website's only had the 360 and PS3 versions confirmed since 2006 - before that video came out! There is going to be a PS2 version.
--- i'm glad they will be releasing it on ps2 cause i have yet to buy a ps3 and i have a wii so either system is what i want the new indy game to be on

DIrishB

HovitosKing said:
I recently (about 2 weeks ago) read that the game might be released to coincide with the KOTCS DVD later this year...which would suggest to me that the game is going to suck (the lack of closing speed suggests the same). Big games get big lead-ins, with tons of articles, reviews, etc. written about gameplay and graphics. I haven't heard anything about the game's development, gameplay, multiplayer/online functionality, etc. in a long time, and that's never been much more than speculation based on a couple of minutes' worth of videotaped gameplay. I think this game is going to be a bomb. My prediction is that it doesn't even try to set any standards, it's just going to rely on brand recognition to sell a basic number of units and turn a small profit (although with all the time spent developing it, that might be tough to do). The reviews I've seen for Force Unleashed aren't very impressive, and that's a product hailing from the cashcow Star Wars franchise.

I think you're being overly cynical and honestly unrealistic.

The KotCS DVD will be out in a month...you think you'll see this game released within the next couple months to coincide with that release? Because I don't...there's no way.

I think the estimates of an April or May, 2009 release are a bit off as well. I honestly think this game probably won't be out until later next year, due to additional development time.

As for there not being much news surrounding it, thats because Lucas is keeping it locked down for several reasons: 1.) so as not to draw attention away from the current cash-cow video game SW - The Force Unleashed (its stupid to have your own products competing); 2.) With no firm release date in mind yet, it'd be premature to start releasin detailed info, especially given the fact we were first told about this game in 2006...they probably want a product ready to put on shelves (or close to it) before releasing info on the game so as not to repeat that mistake; 3.) Lucas is a master at advertising and merchandising his properties...you'll definitly start hearing about this game in the months leading up to its release (the only reason more info hasn't been released is probably because production on the game has been delayed, or is expected to delay its rumored Spring 2009 release).

I think its best not to jump to conclusions just yet, at least until we actually start seeing some gameplay, etc. Of course, that might be awhile, yet.

IAdventurer01

DIrishB said:
I think its best not to jump to conclusions just yet, at least until we actually start seeing some gameplay, etc. Of course, that might be awhile, yet.

Of course, they showed actual gameplay, what, two years ago now? Just throwin' that out there.

DIrishB

IAdventurer01 said:
Of course, they showed actual gameplay, what, two years ago now? Just throwin' that out there.

Hehe...I mis-spoke.

I should've said some new gameplay. A trailer, maybe? Which hopefully, we'll have sometime this week.

HovitosKing

Maybe the article I read was unrealistic in its assertion that the game would be released to coincide with the DVD, but I don't think I'm being unrealistic. The game has been in development since 2006, with tentative release dates having been set for almost every quarter since that time. Still no actual end in sight. It just doesn't bode well, imo. The last Indy project that went through development hell turned out to be garbage (KotCS).

Also, I think the game title is corny at best.

DIrishB

HovitosKing said:
Maybe the article I read was unrealistic in its assertion that the game would be released to coincide with the DVD, but I don't think I'm being unrealistic. The game has been in development since 2006, with tentative release dates having been set for almost every quarter since that time. Still no actual end in sight. It just doesn't bode well, imo. The last Indy project that went through development hell turned out to be garbage (KotCS).

Except for the gameplay trailer released in 06, really no news has been released concerning this game. Thats why I'm optimistic...Force Unleashed is out, and the development team is familiar with that program now. I expect that to be advantageous to Staff of King's development, as well as the fact that its now Lucasarts main focus. Despite the lay-offs at LA and extreme delay in this game's release, I think we're in for something special with Staff of Kings. We've waited 3 years for this game (and will be waiting awhile longer), but I don't see the logic in predicting doom for the game when we now know that its their main focus. Especially with the glut of associated Indy merchandise planned for early next year to coincide with the release of this game.

Will it come out on time? Probably not.

Will it come out at all? Probably.

Will it be any good when (and if) it does come out? I think so.

Also, I think the game title is corny at best.

Dewy9 said:
Most Indy titles are a little on the corny side, which I love!

Have to agree with Dewy. I like the title, and think it fits the generally corny approach to Indy adventure titles.

Say "Temple of Doom" in your head and tell me that doesn't sound corny.

San Holo

After playing Force Unleashed, I feel confortable that Lucasarts will get this right. The story and gameplay are awesome in Unleashed, and that engine will work very well in Staff of Kings.

Indy's brother

I am soooo there. I bought a wii for the ole lady, but there are no other next gen consoles in our home...yet. With this and the price drop on the 360 I'm all out of excuses.

If purchasing an xbox 360 needed a reason...it must be Indiana Jones.

muttjones

So from this....

Paying tribute to some of the most memorable scenes ever plastered on the silver screen, you'll be in pursuit of the motorcade in Raiders of the Lost Ark, at the helm of the winding mine-cart from The Temple of Doom and embroiled in the free-for-all aboard the tank in The Lost Crusade.

...and this...

Embark upon thrilling chase sequences popularized in scenes from the legendary Indiana Jones trilogy

...I gather that you get to play the chase scenes from the trilogy as an extra bonus feature of the game. Correct?

Alos this is a PS3 game as well right?

DIrishB

muttjones said:
So from this....

...and this...

...I gather that you get to play the chase scenes from the trilogy as an extra bonus feature of the game. Correct?

Alos this is a PS3 game as well right?

I assume so, since the summary concretely places the game in 1939 despite the production photos of him looking at the Golden Gate bridge being constructed which in the real world was finished in early 1937...either they screwed up the timeline or they cut those scenes, etc.

I hope the classic chase scenes thing is just extra content instead of the story re-hashing existing story material from the movies. But I won't mind much either way...can't wait for this game.

And yes, I'm pretty sure this will also be out for the PS3.

AWESOME!!! I'm still not sure this game will be out by March 1st.

What I don't understand is if this is an original story by George Lucas, why does it say that you'll be doing the exact same chase sequences? I think that is a typo actually since the LucasArts webiste used to say that the chase scenes will be similair to those three chase scenes. Just a typo I'm sure. Can't wait to hear more about this game and I love the fact that it looks like the artifact is of "biblical proportions". Back to old style Indy is what we need.

AWESOME!!!