Trilogy on Blu-Ray

DoomsdayFAN

Are there any extra special features on the blu ray set that the DVD set doesn't have? I currently own the DVD set of the OT (and BD of KOTCS) but I was wondering if I needed to upgrade? I love special features and if the BD set has more, maybe I'll pick it up. If not, I probably wont bother (unless the picture quality and sound are tremendously better).

I have this:
51Y9N6Q32TL.jpg

vs

But do I need this?
12-06-26-indiana_jones_box_art-e1340766680951-533x670.jpg

DoomsdayFAN

Dr.Sartorius said:
The picture quality is a lot better than the DVDs (especially Raiders).

Nice. I may consider the double dip then. How is the sound?

But the Special Features are what I'm really looking at? Between the two sets, are the special features exactly the same, or does the BD set have more?

Dr.Sartorius

DoomsdayFAN said:
Nice. I may consider the double dip then. How is the sound?

But the Special Features are what I'm really looking at? Between the two sets, are the special features exactly the same, or does the BD set have more?

I don't have the best ear for sound quality but its good. There's not a whole lot of new extras but there's a new (for the time) HD doc on Raiders, and some extras that were released online during the time KOTCS was released. There's an HD doc on KOTCS that I think isn't as comprehensive as the old DVD one? I can't recall its been a while since I watched it. A lot of the KOTCS extras were axed from this release if I recall too.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah agreed- KOTCS in the bluray set has far less special features so I actually recommend keeping your original KOTCS bluray. As for the rest there's some great new stuff for the original trilogy. And yeah the original films look and sound so much to me anyway.

Indy86

I also have the one you have Doomsdayfan, but the dvd boxes inside are way thinner. And I have steelcase edition of KOTCS. I always have been doubting of how and when to replace the dvd's with the Blu-ray release. Now I'm not even sure if I'm ever gonna because I have ToD signed by Ke Huy Quan now. Maybe I'll buy it if I ever can get my hands on the tv-series. I just do this thing by seperating the tv-series from my movies and if there are movies and a tv-series from a certain franchise like Indy or Terminator I keep both of them seperately. So my Terminator movies and the Sarah Connor Chronicles are kept together in the tv-series section of my collection.

It's getting more tempting to replace the boxes with blu-rays since they're getting smaller and thus you'd have more space in the end. I'd really like to buy Back To The Future or Jurassic Park (probably only the trilogy) because they're the size of one dvd now, I'll be getting so much more space than.

KarmicCurse

I like special features too, and I looked a lot into what's on the new set and what isn't.

This page tells you a lot about what's on there. Scroll down to "The Supplements".

Basically everything on that fourth disk in your original set is on the blu-ray set. When the movies were released individually in 2008, they added more features on the new disks as well as new introductions with Spielberg and Lucas. Some of that content is included in the blu-ray set, but not all. For example, the introductions are not there.

There are two nice documentaries on the first disk (DVD) of KOTCS, only one of which is on the blu-ray set. Most of KOTCS's second disk of features has been cut down or left out entirely on the blu-ray set.

There are two new documentaries on the blu-ray set, which (if I recall) are more like on-the-set during production, following the cast and crew. No interviews, but it's nice watching like you're there, and it includes some peaks at deleted scenes.

I hate the Spielberg/Lucas approach to releases: holding back some features, making some available only on sets or individual releases. I find it greedy and manipulative. Same thing with the various Star Wars releases. I don't feel like rewarding them with buying incomplete things repeatedly - and I'm sure they're not done. There will be UHD sets, there will be all inclusive sets, there will be Star Wars theatrical HD sets, and there will be Spielberg commentaries no matter what he says now. As long as people pay. They also keep retailers from dropping prices and punish those who sell used. (Disney is far worse at that.)

What I did was buy the 2008 individual releases, the two-disk DVD of KOTCS, and found the very nicely done 4th DVD disk of features individually on ebay. (I didn't get a blu-ray player until 2011). So I have all non-blu-ray features. Then I checked out the bluray set from the public library to watch the new features. I will get the blu-ray set used when it gets inexpensive. Check ebay, amazon, or your local FYE store for used.

Hope that helps.