Indiana Jones: Playboy, Loser in Love or Both?

Stoo

There is an image of Indy that he is a bit of player when it comes to the ladies.
No doubt he attracts them but could it be that he is not fit to keep these women
(even though he wants to)?

Was he dumped by Willie and then again a year later by Marion? Did infidelity or
the lack of commitment play any part in the break-ups or was it the love for his
"hobby" that caused Professor Jones to walk?

Are these questions one and the same?:confused:

The Man

He scored three times during the most stressful periods of his life. That's quite impressive.

|ZiR|

Indiana Joes was conceived as a playboy but somewhere along the way this was dropped, like his alcoholism. I think they wanted Jones to be more of an everyman the audience could identify with, than some hot shot James Bond type.

Stoo said:
Was he dumped by Willie and then again a year later by Marion? Did infidelity or
the lack of commitment play any part in the break-ups or was it the love for his
"hobby" that caused Professor Jones to walk?

I don't believe there's a definite answer to those questions. For his relationship with Willie, I think that once they got back to the States they just slowly drifted apart, she pursuing a career in show business, and he with his teaching and archaeology. Personally, I don't see Willie as the type to plop on a pith helmet and join Indy out in the field.

As to what happened to Marion... who knows? Maybe there was too much history there. I do seem to remember reading something about Indy helping her set up a new bar in NYC (The Raven's Nest) and them parting ways shortly after that, but I can't confirm if that's canon, or even recollect where I heard it, so there's a good chance I'm just talking out my ass here.

Crack that whip

The idea of Willie and Indy in a lasting relationship doesn't exactly naturally leap to mind, does it? I think the main question is what happened with Marion between when they went for that drink and when Indy finally caught up with the Cross of Coronado.

I'd speculate, but I think there's a fair chance we'll find out in less than three weeks now :eek: exactly what happened anyway, and I'd rather not 'coax' spoilers out of the spoiler-savvy crowd here, some of whom seem entirely too willing to dispense spoilers hither and yon as it is...

Stoo

|ZiR| said:
Indiana Joes
Never tasted them. Are they anything like Sloppy Joes?:p
|Zir| said:
was conceived as a playboy but somewhere along the way this was dropped, like his alcoholism. I think they wanted Jones to be more of an everyman the audience could identify with, than some hot shot James Bond type.
Good observation, and one I agree with.
|ZiR| said:
I do seem to remember reading something about Indy helping her set up a new bar in NYC (The Raven's Nest) and them parting ways shortly after that, but I can't confirm if that's canon, or even recollect where I heard it, so there's a good chance I'm just talking out my ass here.
Well, you remember well because that storyline is from the Marvel comics.
(I was trying to keep this to just the movies but in issue #23, Marion splits!)

|ZiR|

Stoo said:
Never tasted them. Are they anything like Sloppy Joes?:p

They're like a manlier version of manwich. Side effects include stubble growth and an insatiable lust for artifacts from the past.

Well, you remember well because that storyline is from the Marvel comics.
(I was trying to keep this to just the movies but in issue #23, Marion splits!)

Ha, I must've read someone on the forum post about that issue before, 'cause I've never read any of the comics. So credit goes to whomever that was!

oki9Sedo

Its clear Indy's very, very good with women when he wants to be. No problems there whatsoever.

As for why Willie and him split, that's obvious. Indy and Willie were never going to last, and they both knew it. They were physically attracted to each other and had good banter, but were not compatible in personality and life ambitions for a long-term relationship, and would drive each other crazy in the long-term. They were happy to ride a wave together until it subsided, just have fun together until they wanted to part ways. I'm sure they're split would have been amicable, as both would have understood it couldn't last but that they'd had great fun along the way.

Marion and Indy? We'll find out for sure, or at the very least have some idea.

Why did Indy split up with Elsa again? Oh yeah, allegiance to Nazis and all-consuming obsession with the Holy Grail and all that. Sleeping with his father probably didn't help matters. Neither did dying, now that I think of it. I can see how all those might be issues for Indy.

The Man

oki9Sedo said:
Its clear Indy's very, very good with women when he wants to be. No problems there whatsoever.

As for why Willie and him split, that's obvious. Indy and Willie were never going to last, and they both knew it. They were physically attracted to each other and had good banter, but were not compatible in personality and life ambitions for a long-term relationship, and would drive each other crazy in the long-term. They were happy to ride a wave together until it subsided, just have fun together until they wanted to part ways. I'm sure they're split would have been amicable, as both would have understood it couldn't last but that they'd had great fun along the way.

Marion and Indy? We'll find out for sure, or at the very least have some idea.

Why did Indy split up with Elsa again? Oh yeah, allegiance to Nazis and all-consuming obsession with the Holy Grail and all that. Sleeping with his father probably didn't help matters. Neither did dying, now that I think of it. I can see how all those might be issues for Indy.

Elsa is not dead - she's merely still falling..

Stoo

|ZiR| said:
Ha, I must've read someone on the forum post about that issue before, 'cause I've never read any of the comics. So credit goes to whomever that was!
Here's my reply to Violet in another thread. Maybe it was this? Post #23.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12234&page=2

You should mention the Indiana Joes Manwich in the Collecting Indy forum.:D

oki9Sedo said:
While everything you say is absolutely true & justifiable, have you ever entertained
the fact that Willie may have ruined her vocal chords from all the screaming she did
in India, thus putting a damper on her singing career? She may have latched on to
Indy as her next provider...

Dr.Jones

Personally, I think he kinda gets the ladies by accident. He tries to save them from the perils on the journey, and then they swoon for his gentlemanly and courageous ways. It is the fact that he can make them fall for him that is admirable.

tupogirl

It seems to be a matter of time and place for him. He lives very much in the moment, so go for it while you can. And if we go by his past experiences with women, if he does things the 'right' way and woos them, things tend to blow up in his face.

No Ticket

It's pretty simple that Jones is a loner at heart and probably is more used to doing things his own way... on his own... and in the end the women probably feel neglected or something along those lines and leave. I doubt it was infidelity. I think he attracts women, wants to keep them... but his work which has him traveling all over the world combined with his loner personality makes it where those relationships do not last.

It's a double edged sword. His loner personality and world-weary travels make him interesting and are also what have him wind up alone.

MR Round

No Ticket said:
It's pretty simple that Jones is a loner at heart and probably is more used to doing things his own way... on his own... and in the end the women probably feel neglected or something along those lines and leave. I doubt it was infidelity. I think he attracts women, wants to keep them... but his work which has him traveling all over the world combined with his loner personality makes it where those relationships do not last.

It's a double edged sword. His loner personality and world-weary travels make him interesting and are also what have him wind up alone.

You make a very good point:hat:

T

tp2005

The Man said:
He scored three times during the most stressful periods of his life. That's quite impressive.

He never tapped Willie, and wasn't Else using him to get to the grail? Only Marion counts.:gun:

eroc

tp2005 said:
He never tapped Willie, and wasn't Else using him to get to the grail? Only Marion counts.:gun:

How do you know he never tapped Willie. It was a long way to Delhi, you know?

DrHapgood

eroc said:

And from what I hear it's a short trek into Willie's pants. You don't even need to hire a Sherpa. (y)

MolaRam2

IndySeven said:
That's what I always hope when I watch LC. Elsa didn't deserve to die at all!:(

She was a Nazi.

The only reason he got it on with Elsa so easily (so James Bond like), was because Elsa was doing whatever she could to help the Nazi agenda of getting the grail.

He never has any James Bond like successes with women. His relationships seem to have rough edges to them.

No Ticket

eroc said:

I'd say it's safe to assume he "got it on" with her at least once. Although I'd find it kinda funny if situations continued to arise that prevented it from ever happening.

Indy86

Women think highly of Indy no doubt and I think he knows and might enjoy it too. But I don't think he's the kind of man that would sleep around with everyone. If there is a woman in his life he would stay with her. And sometimes there's only that one person. In his case, Marion.