Soundtracks?

lairdo

As I recall, that intro jazzy tune was composed for the show as an original. You think I would remember as I ghost supervised that episode. (You can blame me for any sfx your don't like.)

The TV end credits do not list a piece a music in any regard.

Laird

Stoo

Possible Inspiration?

Could part of Joel McNeely's composition, "Lover's Farewell" (used in "Paris 1916" and the bookends to "Paris 1908"), have possibly been inspired by the trio of "Gymnopédies" by Erik Satie?:confused: I certainly think so because Satie was a Parisian piano composer at the time that those 2 episodes are set and the similarities in sound cannot be ignored.

Listen to the last half of "Lover's Farewell" on the CD soundtrack, Volume 1 (or at the very end of "Demons of Deception" on DVD ), then listen to "Gynmopédie No. 1". The tempo and instrumentation clearly reflects one with the other.

Possible inspiration? I think it's probable.

---
Now, you may ask, what the hell is a "gymnopédie"?:confused: Well, gymnopaedia involves an athletic display of young, naked boys in ancient Greece. That's where the word, "gym", comes from!:eek:

Stoo

Opera in 1919 Paris?

"Paris, May 1919" is one of the chapters with the least amount of identified & available music.

I'm trying to find the name of the opera which Indy, T.E. Lawrence & Gertrude Bell are watching. The excerpt is recognizable but I can't identify it. (Haven't watched this episode in a long time and had totally forgotten about this bit.) Does anyone know?:confused:

P.S. Tash, you're not related to Gertrude in any way, are you?;)

MDew

Stoo said:
I'm trying to find the name of the opera which Indy, T.E. Lawrence & Gertrude Bell are watching. The excerpt is recognizable but I can't identify it.

I think I found it, it is "Meditation" from the opera Thaïs by Massenet. I knew it sounded familiar, it's a popular wedding song.

Stoo

MDew said:
This just puts me in the mood to watch some Young Indy:
Mozart's Clarinet Concerto K622 (Used in Oganga & John Barry's score for Out of Africa)
Sweet piece.:) (Incidentally, I *think* John Barry re-used parts of his score from "High Road to China" when he did "Out of Africa".)
MDew said:
I think I found it, it is "Meditation" from the opera Thaïs by Massenet. I knew it sounded familiar, it's a popular wedding song.
That's it! BRAVO!:hat: I was thinking it might be from Puccini's 1918 opera, "Sister Angelica", which is about a dying nun but you totally nailed it, MDew. You're a superstar.(y)

InexorableTash

MDew said:

Awesome! Added to http://www.youngindianajonesmusic.com/cue-lists/19-winds-of-change

Stoo said:
P.S. Tash, you're not related to Gertrude in any way, are you?;)

Nope!

While I'm here, I'll tease y'all with news that a trinket has fallen into my hands that will be of interest to many here. Not new music, sadly. I just have to figure out how to best share it.

Hawaii_Jones

So, does anyone have a link for a rip of the Volume Three soundtrack that they would like to PM me? I'm throwing a 1920's themed party soon and I would love it if I could have the music from Scandals and Mystery of the Blues playing in the background, amongst other 20's themed soundtracks I have. I know they have it on Amazon, but I really would prefer not to spend $40+ on this one CD. I would really appreciate it!

InexorableTash

InexorableTash said:
While I'm here, I'll tease y'all with news that a trinket has fallen into my hands that will be of interest to many here. Not new music, sadly. I just have to figure out how to best share it.

So... there's more to this than meets the eye, but I had to share this trinket that landed in my inbox.

cover%20sketch.jpg

I'm interested to hear what you all will make of it.

MDew

Very nice! I'm guessing this is a custom cover for the 16 minutes of additional unreleased Oganga music? :cool:

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
So... there's more to this than meets the eye,
Well, the signature resembles Matthew Peak's to a certain extent but a few clues tell me that it's probably not genuine.

Could this work be from our own fellow Ravenhead, JuniorJones?:confused:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Well, the signature resembles Matthew Peak's to a certain extent but a few clues tell me that it's probably not genuine.

Could this work be from our own fellow Ravenhead, JuniorJones?:confused:

Yep, you nailed it.

Glad you spotted the signature, even if you saw through the deception so quickly. Our esteemed colleague sent it in to inspire further effort in this area. We'd love to see what others like MDew can do given for custom covers given the general template.

Stoo

I figured it was our buddy, JJ!;) Those illustrations are his usual top-notch. He's definitely an inspiration.

Since you mentioned a template, I was thinking how nice it would be for each of our fan volumes to have liner notes that match the legit releases. If you (or someone else) feels like writing some text on each compilation, it could put inside with photos.

The covers for Volume 0 are still not finished but I've been planning on putting in liner notes and text for the actual disc. If so, then we could have a template for the complete package.

kongisking

Stoo said:
I figured it was our buddy, JJ!;) Those illustrations are his usual top-notch. He's definitely an inspiration.

Since you mentioned a template, I was thinking how nice it would be for each of our fan volumes to have liner notes that match the legit releases. If you (or someone else) feels like writing some text on each compilation, it could put inside with photos.

The covers for Volume 0 are still not finished but I've been planning on putting in liner notes and text for the actual disc. If so, then we could have a template for the complete package.

Stoo, could you clean out your PM inbox? I'd like to talk to you about something, but can't until there's room in there for my message. Thanks. :hat:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:

Sure, I'll spin something up on the site. (And anyone who wants write access just needs to ask.)

InexorableTash

Stunning, MDew! Vlad's face is spot on (and creepy as ****!), and the image selection and composition is well done.

If I can make a few suggestions:

* The hard background transitions between the girl and the guys, and the Hagia Sophia and Vlad's castle (mostly hidden behind the logo) are a bit jarring. Looking at other cover/poster art, going with more abstract and continuous backgrounds rather than trying to perfectly capture the source would avoid this.

[EDIT: I realize now that it's the edge of a dark cloud behind the logo, not an "edge". Let me tweak the feedback to suggest that the area behind the logo should be as plain as possible to avoid that impression!]

* The smaller faces look a bit flat and cartoony. I'm not an artist, so I haven't got any great suggestions other than aiming for more subtle shading and coloration. A rough sketch can be more pleasing to the eye in its abstract form before it is inked and colored. I think that is one of Peak's skills - subtle coloration and shading.

But still: awesome! I'll try and get those track lists/liner notes up as inspiration.

Also... Is that logo by any chance from the comics? I did a cleaned up scan of the logo from one of the CDs and it has subtle differences.

MDew

Thanks for the feedback, Tash. I know what you mean about the background areas not blending well together, which I think is mostly due to my sloppy Photoshop coloring skills. :( I almost need somebody with a painterly touch who can better blend it together. I'm still able to go back and tweak the original drawing, so I might try to make some of the changes (as they are bothering me too). Here's the original pencil drawing:
sur0.png

The logo was a scan from a book or magazine, not sure where I got it but it was just a two-tone that I changed to closer match the one on the soundtracks.