Indy 4 Lovers Thread

Goodeknight

kongisking said:
The film is flawed, but fun.

That shall be my opinion 'till the day I myself venture forth into the Great Unknown Mystery.

You mean, the Space Between Spaces? What the heck is THAT?? That's still a mystery to me.

Raiders112390 said:
Bump. I wish this film wasn't so hated. It feels awkward liking a film most despise.

I'd say the only thing to feel awkward about is wanting to only like movies that everyone else likes. Toughen up and like what you want.

Let me start: Vibes is an awesome movie. (y)

indyrcks

I have to say that after rewatching Indy 4 I think it is a great film in my honest opinion and I love it more and more. :) :)

Henry W Jones said:
What do you like better?

There's a great deal of "lazy" in both, but for me LC takes the cake because it seemed like an unnessecary apology for TOD.

"Sorry about the dark one, here's the half-assed "Raiders 2" we think we all wanted." - Steven Spielberg

Most of the problems I have with KOTCS are just a continuation of problems started with LC.

Henry W Jones

featofstrength said:
There's a great deal of "lazy" in both, but for me LC takes the cake because it seemed like an unnessecary apology for TOD.

"Sorry about the dark one, here's the half-assed "Raiders 2" we think we all wanted." - Steven Spielberg

Most of the problems I have with KOTCS are just a continuation of problems started with LC.

I think LC is a far better film but agree it is where the series started to lose it's touch.

Udvarnoky

Last Crusade definitely gets no points for originality and maybe the set pieces started feeling a little bit tired (obviously excluding the superb tank chase which more than makes up for it anyway), but it nonetheless works, and works so well that I don't really see how Crystal Skull sustains a comparison. Last Crusade is exciting, it moves, the leads have great chemistry, and the thing actually coheres. Are any of those things true of Crystal Skull?

The Reaper

Add me to the list of Crystal Skull lovers! It ain't perfect but it's a fun adventure film and it is so nice to see Ford in the role again, I'll take whatever we get. I've never understood the hate it gets.

Raiders90

With 7 years of hindsight, it was a great sequel. A B rated film in a series of A to A+'s. That doesn't make it a failure, but there was NO way an Indy 4 could've lived up to the original 3. Not with the massive amounts of hype and anticipation surrounding it. People were expecting a film that would outdo Last Crusade or even Raiders, to be something that epic. What we got was more Temple of Doom. It is a great film and works as a nice epilogue to Jones' career. If a reboot is done hopefully the creators don't go out of their way to declare KOTCS "non-canon". I don't think it deserves to be considered "one of the worst films ever made."

I thought it was on par with Temple not sure anymore, probably the
Weakest of the 4. It's a good film, the problem is it could have been a great film.

With A few changes, George should have given Steve much more control on it, that would have made it a strong sequel!!

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
...there was NO way an Indy 4 could've lived up to the original 3.

...What we got was more Temple of Doom.
Huh? You say that there was no way Indy 4 could've lived up to the original 3 (which I agree with) yet you imply that it's on par with "Temple of Doom"? How does that work?:confused:
Raiders112390 said:
People were expecting a film that would outdo Last Crusade or even Raiders...
Who were those people?:confused: Anyone who thought Indy 4 would "outdo" Raiders must have been either incredibly naive or extremely stupid.:eek:
Lambonius said:
Please don't compare KOTCS to the masterpiece that is Temple of Doom.
Too right!:hat:

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Huh? You say that there was no way Indy 4 could've lived up to the original 3 (which I agree with) yet you imply that it's on par with "Temple of Doom"? How does that work?:confused:
Who were those people?:confused: Anyone who thought Indy 4 would "outdo" Raiders must have been either incredibly naive or extremely stupid.:eek:
Too right!:hat:

Meaning, like, the expectation was for something on par overall with the original three, but we got something different. When ToD came out it got flak for being different. To the extent that Spielberg made LC much more akin to Raiders to "apologize" for Temple. KOTCS to me is a film that will in time get the credit it deserves, similar to the way Temple of Doom has.

I'm sure if I was to dig around I could find people who before KOTCS came out were expecting something mega epic on par with like, Fate of Atlantis.

KOTCS and ToD are for me on the same level of quality. I thought you liked KOTCS, Stoo?

Dana Scully

Add me to the ever growing list of KOTCS fans! Yes, I realise it has it's fair share of flaws (CGI gophers, dumb Tarzan swinging vines sequence, e.t.c) but that doesn't ruin my overall enjoyment of the film. I was born in the mid-80's so I missed out on seeing any of the original trilogy on the big screen and experiencing 'Indymania' the first time round. I was 22 when KOTCS was released and the first time I saw it on the big screen with a bunch of friends (who were also Indy fans) was probably the most fun I've ever had at a movie theatre. That lovely sense of nostalgia still gets me whenever I rewatch it now over seven years later.

Unlike a lot of the film's critics I actually enjoy the sci-fi/alien (sorry, 'interdimensional beings' :p ) angle, I think the fact that the movie is clearly an homage to the 50's style b-movie (just as the original trilogy was an homage to the 30's style adventure serial) is a clever way of moving the franchise forward and actually works. I love lots of things about the movie - Harrison Ford's great performance as a more mature Indy, the legend of Akator and the crystal skull itself, the references to previous adventures and characters, seeing Marion again (although I do wish she had been utilised better), the epic score by John Williams and the character of Irina Spalko, who I shall reflect on in more detail in another thread.

I agree with a previous comment in this thread that said that there are plenty of KOTCS fans out there, it just sometimes doesn't feel that way because the 'haters' tend to be a lot more vocal and ... vociferous, shall we say? ;) I, for one, immensely enjoyed this film and it's great to read this thread and find that I'm not the only one.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Meaning, like, the expectation was for something on par overall with the original three, but we got something different. When ToD came out it got flak for being different. To the extent that Spielberg made LC much more akin to Raiders to "apologize" for Temple.
It's always bizarre how Indy fans born in the '90s (or later) try to matter-of-factly explain reception of the sequels as if experienced firsthand. When "Doom" came out, I don't recall the "flak for being different". It was criticized for being too violent & gory...but being different from "Raiders"?*

*That point could be argued but this isn't really the thread for it.

You wrote, "What we got was more Temple of Doom" (as if it's an automatic, universal opinion) when you probably meant "What YOU got." Apart from its sci-fi/alien angle, "Crystal Skull" is no different from "Raiders" or "Crusade". It's the same ol' bag...set by "Raiders", repeated in "Crusade" and regurgitated for "Skull".

What I'm sayin' is try to hold back on the "we" business, my friend.;)
Raiders112390 said:
I'm sure if I was to dig around I could find people who before KOTCS came out were expecting something mega epic on par with like, Fate of Atlantis.
Sure you could dig around but you don't.:p

"Mega epic"?:rolleyes::sick: Like I said, those people were "incredibly naive or extremely stupid". Anyone who thought Indy 4 was going to live up to the original trilogy was living in a dream world. It's rare for a 4th entry in a series to equal or surpass the former output. We're talkin' naive, baby. Super Naive.

And?hey?since when was "Fate of Atlantis" part of the "original 3"?:confused:
Raiders112390 said:
KOTCS and ToD are for me on the same level of quality. I thought you liked KOTCS, Stoo?
Put it his way, I don't HATE "Crystal Skull" but it's last in line, right behind "Crusade".

Last edited:

Raiders90

Just wanted to bump this and see if there is anyone else besides me on here in 2016 who really enjoy(ed)s this movie?