Customizing Indy Figures

glorbes

iLUVINDY said:
Does anybody know what kind of paint (also where i can buy it) I could use to paint a red arm band on the Col. Vogel Figure???

Use acrylics of some type...I know Tamiya and Model Master make model acrylics. I use cheapo stuff from Wal-Mart called 'Folk Art' for my custom work, and they seem to work great. Be prepared to add multiple coats of red though...red paints of all kinds have terrible coverage, so you'll need about 4-8 thin coats to get a nice, even paint job.

Do NOT use Testors model enamels on figures though...it will never ever dry properly and it'll stay sticky and collect dust.

Just to clarify; you CAN use Testors Model Masters Acrylic paints because they are water based. Testors Enamels are Oil-Based and will not dry properly and actually accelerate the breakdown of certain plastics. Always use acrylic water based paints on figures and seal with a clear coat to preserve the paint from flecking off.

iLUVINDY

Agent Spalko said:
Just to clarify; you CAN use Testors Model Masters Acrylic paints because they are water based. Testors Enamels are Oil-Based and will not dry properly and actually accelerate the breakdown of certain plastics. Always use acrylic water based paints on figures and seal with a clear coat to preserve the paint from flecking off.

So i do several layers of the red paint, and then seal it with a layer of clear paint???

iLUVINDY said:
So i do several layers of the red paint, and then seal it with a layer of clear paint???

Yes water down your paint and apply a layer evenly and let it dry before applying another layer. You don't want to put it on too thick. When you have covered it evenly you can finish with a clear coat to prevent it from washing or flacking off. Looks just like it was factory painted when you are done.

iLUVINDY

Agent Spalko said:
Yes water down your paint and apply a layer evenly and let it dry before applying another layer. You don't want to put it on too thick. When you have covered it evenly you can finish with a clear coat to prevent it from washing or flacking off. Looks just like it was factory painted when you are done.

OK, Thanks, what do you mean by "Water down your paint'???

You want to mix the paint and water to a thinner consistency like milk. You might want to get a mixing board or some small jars so you can prepare your paint consistency before you begin. You can paint straight from the bottle but it usually applies too thick. Your results will look better if you water down your paint and apply in even layers.

iLUVINDY

Agent Spalko said:
You want to mix the paint and water to a thinner consistency like milk. You might want to get a mixing board or some small jars so you can prepare your paint consistency before you begin. You can paint straight from the bottle but it usually applies too thick. Your results will look better if you water down your paint and apply in even layers.

Oh, OK thanks so much for the help :hat:

glorbes

Another thing to keep in mind is to use a flat or mat finish clear spray. Krylon Matte is the one I use...avoid gloss or satin because they'll give the figure a shiny finish...unless that's what you want (but I'm assuming its not).

The_Raiders

I always use Delta Cream Coat acrylics, most the time I don't even need any clear coat or anything over it to protect the paint from chipping off or anything. And it's pretty cheap too. I have already used it on some of my Indys and alot of my star wars fiugres and it works great! (y)

glorbes

This is a whip I made for my deluxe horse Indy figure. This was by far my favorite Indy on the pegs when they were initially released, and I wanted him to have a whip accessory:

2008_0625indywhip0005.jpg
2008_0625indywhip0001.jpg

Its made from braided, cotton covered wire, with some floral tape wrapped around the lower part to form the handle. I brushed on some brown and copper acrylic paint to give it a worn leather look. I also coated the handle in tamiya clear acrylic gloss to protect the paint from rubbing off on his hands. Its fully poseable, but perhaps a tad oversized.

The best part is, it can be coiled and hooked on his belt:
2008_0625indywhip0007.jpg

Dandiana Jones

Hey everybody! First post here, and I wanted to share a custom Mola Ram from the bridge scene that I just finished today. He's 6" scale and made from Jakks WWE Ruthless Aggression figures and a bunch of clay. Enjoy:
MolaRam001.jpg

MolaRam005.jpg

MolaRam006.jpg

MolaRam007.jpg

MolaRam008.jpg

MolaRam009.jpg

MolaRam004.jpg

glorbes

Dandiana Jones

That Mola Ram looks pretty sharp! Great job on the very clean paints...reds are always tricky, and it looks like you got a nice, even coat. The necklace looks good too. What kind of clay did you use to sculpt with?

Dandiana Jones

glorbes said:
Dandiana Jones

That Mola Ram looks pretty sharp! Great job on the very clean paints...reds are always tricky, and it looks like you got a nice, even coat. The necklace looks good too. What kind of clay did you use to sculpt with?
Thanks, glorbes! Glad you like it. I used Aves Apoxie Sculpt on the robe. You have a limited amount of working time with it, but it air dries hard as a rock. I love the stuff. (y) Also, for the red, I learned that red goes on much more easily if you put down a coat of gray first, then apply the red over it. It still needed a few coats, but it definitely did help.

Sorcerer009

Dandiana Jones said:
Thanks, glorbes! Glad you like it. I used Aves Apoxie Sculpt on the robe. You have a limited amount of working time with it, but it air dries hard as a rock. I love the stuff. (y) Also, for the red, I learned that red goes on much more easily if you put down a coat of gray first, then apply the red over it. It still needed a few coats, but it definitely did help.

Dandiana...your Mola Ram looks AMAZING! Just out of curiosity, how much time do you get in molding with Aves Apoxie before it air dries?

glorbes

Dandiana Jones said:
I used Aves Apoxie Sculpt on the robe. You have a limited amount of working time with it, but it air dries hard as a rock. I love the stuff. (y) Also, for the red, I learned that red goes on much more easily if you put down a coat of gray first, then apply the red over it. It still needed a few coats, but it definitely did help.

Ah yes, Aves is indeed excellent stuff. I've used it for many a project...also, I've used plumber's epoxy putty for similar applications (shorter working time, but its good for quick n' dirty projects). And good call on the grey basecoat/red topcoat...it really does cut your work in half. Any plans for more characters in this scale?

Errex

The Mola Ram is great. His physique makes me think of how the Indy figures would have turned out, had Hasbro restarted the line back in 1995, along with the Power of the Force Star Wars figures.

glorbes

Finally picked up the Map Room Indy and Ark, mainly with the intent to customize the figure into a Cairo Indy using parts from the Deluxe Temple Trap figure (I also very much wanted the Ark). But, since I had the Temple Trap figure, robes, and head left over, I figured I might as well make a decent Map Room Indy as well:

2008_0721arkindyupgrades0001.jpg

Basic head swap was in order. I removed the oversized sash, glued the robe in certain places to make it fit the body better, coated the whole thing in white glue, positioned the robes around the pose of the figure, and took a blow dryer to the whole thing. Next, I did a tan colored wash over the robes, then a white wash, and then drybrushed white over him. The new sash is a strip of material.

2008_0721arkindyupgrades0003.jpg

The Staff of Ra is a piece of styrene rod, and the headpiece is styrene sheet. I repained the face, and sliced out some plastic below the chin, to make the draping of the head wrapping more accurate. And that's it!

bonoferox

Good Lord, Glorbes.......That is just too cool :)

I'd love to see how you'd tackle a German Uniform Jones or Concept Sketch Toht. (Saw some of your other work from customcon and was amazed by it as well)

glorbes

bonoferox said:
I'd love to see how you'd tackle Concept Sketch Toht

You read my mind...I've already got the recipe planned out in my head...I just need two Colonel Vogel figs (one extra for the custom) and I'll be in business...which is really seeming unlikely at this point.