Temple of the Forbidden Eye

dr.jones1986

Does anyone know if Indiana Jones licensed merchandise will still be available to purchase at other stores in the park? Being from NY, I don't frequent either of the resorts often but the Disney parks seem to be the only stores that sell Indiana Jones merchandised licensed by Lucasfilm. For example I have not seen any Indiana Jones tshirts sold in stores that sell novelty shirts (Kohls, Hot Topic etc). I know Indiana Jones is not as big as Star Wars, but they sell tshirts from other films/film series (Jaws, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future etc, Goonies). Many of these series don't have a film out now and are not more popular/beloved than Indiana Jones but they still sell merchandise. Even the Funko pops of Indiana Jones were park and convention exclusives. While I wouldn't expect a bevy of options like you have with Star Wars, it still seems strange that Disney has released almost no merchandise at all since purchasing Lucasfilm. I don't think there is any licensing hangup considering Lucasfilm always maintained the rights to licensed material for their movies.

JasonMa

I know at Disney World you can get some (most?) of the Indy merchandise they have at the Studios near the Indy attraction also at various stores at Disney Springs and I think also in places like Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. I would be its the same at Disneyland if not more so as the Indy attraction is a "bigger" attraction there. I'd check the Emporium and whatever World of Disney type store they have in their Downtown Disney area.

Z dweller

Le Saboteur said:
It's easy to blame Disney, but the ridiculous encumbrances placed upon the series can't be ignored. The blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. They very clearly have zero interest in the further exploits of Dr. Jones, but are unwilling to let anybody else play in their sandbox.
Getting the band back together is the worst possible thing Disney can do.
OT, granted, but I wholeheartedly agree.

TheFedora

JasonMa said:
I know at Disney World you can get some (most?) of the Indy merchandise they have at the Studios near the Indy attraction also at various stores at Disney Springs and I think also in places like Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. I would be its the same at Disneyland if not more so as the Indy attraction is a "bigger" attraction there. I'd check the Emporium and whatever World of Disney type store they have in their Downtown Disney area.

Yeah it does kind of give that question as to the distribution of the merchandise in the stores in Disneyland. I honestly wonder if some of it might not be put to the back of stores in Main street, etc. And havent been to Downtown Disney in a while but I can always try to check next time

JasonMa

You can also order many of the items through their shopping app/website. There are 15 items listed under Indiana Jones in the app you can order plus 6 others that are In-Store only (the bank, bigfig, cel, Mickey plush, and two pins).

Le Saboteur

Was this ever posted? No, doesn't look like it. I went back a few pages and it was suddenly 2013!

Anyway.

The Mouse held a Twentieth Anniversary Panel for the Indiana Jones Adventure in 2015 featuring Tony Baxter and Disney Historian Tim O'Day @ the dearly departed Big Thunder Ranch.

The embedded video is from a closer spot, but this one is much clearer (and manages to keep Baxter in frame.).

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i9vNxngOGac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
Its one of my goals to eventually have the money and the room to buy one of my own.

I used to have one in my room.

JasonMa said:
Adventureland's traffic patterns have been broken for years and it desperately needed help. Looking at that video that is way too much space to take up for largely junk merchandise. Get rid of the plastic snakes, cheap swords, etc., minimize the room the hats and fedoras are taking up, condense the shirt racks a bit and you could have the good stuff in a corner of one of the other stores jut as easily.

Adventureland has been largely neglected post-Temple of the Forbidden Eye's opening. Sure, they built Aladdin's Oasis (it doesn't belong in Adventureland) and did a horrible overlay of the Tree House when they should have been working on something that unifies the theme in terms of tone and expectations. This, for my money, has helped to exacerbate the traffic flow through Adventureland. Rather than have a collection of things to grab your attention, it's primarily a place to walk through on the way to elsewhere. Frontierland shares this problem too. Perhaps more so.

Oh, and you can lose most of the apparel in the Outpost. Most of it was off brand apparel you could find at PacSun like Quiksilver and O'Neill. I can't imagine they ever sold much, if any, of it. Not at Disney's prices.

TheFedora said:
Yeah it does kind of give that question as to the distribution of the merchandise in the stores in Disneyland. I honestly wonder if some of it might not be put to the back of stores in Main street, etc. And havent been to Downtown Disney in a while but I can always try to check next time

Mice Chat is reporting that the entire front section of the Bazaar is now comprised of Indiana Jones merchandise. Scroll down about three quarters for a coupe of pictures. The rest of the construction is supposed to be open again on Friday.

IMG_6114-610x813.jpg

The Bengal Barbecue is also getting new food options according to the Disney Parks Blog.

Rachel Bshero said:
In the heart of Adventureland at Disneyland park, it’s hard to miss Bengal Barbecue. The smell of fire-cooked meats and vegetables lures explorers to its thatched roof. Today, I’m excited to share new menu items that are now available at Bengal Barbecue.

Ahi Poke Spring Roll – Marinated Ahi tuna with crisp lettuce, carrots, daikon, pickled cucumber, cilantro, Thai basil, mint, sliced jalapeños and creamy wasabi mayo rolled in a rice paper wrap. Served with a delectable side of ginger dipping sauce.

RachelBshero said:
Hummus Trio – Three delicious house-made varieties of hummus, jalapeño, black bean, red pepper and feta are served with an assortment of fresh vegetables.

Jungle Julep – A tropical slush with grape, orange, pineapple and lemon. This drink is sure to take your taste buds on a tropical vacation!

dr.jones1986 said:
Does anyone know if Indiana Jones licensed merchandise will still be available to purchase at other stores in the park? Being from NY, I don't frequent either of the resorts often but the Disney parks seem to be the only stores that sell Indiana Jones merchandised licensed by Lucasfilm.

As previously mentioned, Florida still has an Adventure Outpost as does Paris. Despite the name, however, Paris felt like Indiana Jones was an afterthought; it had more The Jungle Book and The Lion King merchandise, and this video seems to confirm that it's still that way.

They gave me a good deal on a King Louie!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JsBtVHMczL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Florida doesn't look much better either.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-QRA8cAKRFM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Z dweller said:
OT, granted, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Shh! Though, to be perfectly fair, unless something drastic happens, I have no interest in the future of the series.

TheFedora

Le Saboteur said:
I used to have one in my room.

Mice Chat is reporting that the entire front section of the Bazaar is now comprised of Indiana Jones merchandise. Scroll down about three quarters for a coupe of pictures. The rest of the construction is supposed to be open again on Friday.

IMG_6114-610x813.jpg

[/SIZE]

Well thats good to hear that they still have a place for the Indy merchandise in the park. If/when I eventually get the chance to go to Disneyland again, I'll have to check it out for sure.

IndyBuff

I'm glad to see the Indy merchandise hasn't completely been abandoned. The Outpost used to be absolutely amazing about 10 years ago. It's a shame to see what it devolved into, along with the Indy shop at Disney World.

Le Saboteur

I can't tell if the Bengal Barbecue et al has reopened as scheduled or not (none of the usual suspects have uploaded anything), but I did find a couple of really, really inadequate pictures. The only real thing I can tell from this... revamp is that it was done on the cheap (as is to be expected given the turnaround).

fetch

fetch

TheFedora

Le Saboteur said:
I can't tell if the Bengal Barbecue et al has reopened as scheduled or not (none of the usual suspects have uploaded anything), but I did find a couple of really, really inadequate pictures. The only real thing I can tell from this... revamp is that it was done on the cheap (as is to be expected given the turnaround).

fetch

fetch
For a revamp, I honestly expected a lot better. Disappointed in this. Although to be honest, I never ate anything here, I don't know if its any good.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
TheFedora said:
For a revamp, I honestly expected a lot better. Disappointed in this. Although to be honest, I never ate anything here, I don't know if its any good.

Well, it is the summer, and the traffic through the Adventureland corridor is fairly awful. (Things wouldn't be so bad if that half of the park didn't shut down for Fantasmic once or twice a night, but I digress.) No assurances of quality from WDI, but perhaps it'll be revisited at a quieter time of year.

The skewers aren't bad, as I recall.

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:

It is good, but only if you can stomach the price. Five bucks for two to three bites of meat is steep.

Conceptually the Bengal Barbecue is supposed to be street food. You can find grilled meats on a stick throughout... well, the majority of the world. Disney drenches theirs in a vaguely exotic sauce. Zulu! Polynesian! Hot n' spicy! The rest of the menu is rather forgettable, but people are talking up the new hummus trio and the ahi poke roll.

This popped up a few hours back, and it does give a nice overview of the changes.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I82csoiu8K8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The changes look better in the video than the photos, but it shows that the revamp was really done on the quick. Without up close looks at the pictures I can't say for certain, but it does look like any explicit reference to Indiana Jones has been erased from the former Outpost.

The amount of merchandise that was transferred to the Bazaar appears to be minimal, but referencing the Caribbean is really odd. Adventurelaand doesn't need any more confusion.

Attila the Professor said:
Well, it is the summer, and the traffic through the Adventureland corridor is fairly awful. (Things wouldn't be so bad if that half of the park didn't shut down for Fantasmic once or twice a night, but I digress.) No assurances of quality from WDI, but perhaps it'll be revisited at a quieter time of year.

I haven't been back that way in about five years, but after watching some videos it looks like that Disney has been running overflow stroller parking right down the middle of the path. That can't be helpful.

There's also a rumor that this decision isn't final. While the Outpost is gone for good (probably), the space might get converted back to retail or some other attraction (if possible).

The number of people @ Disneyland who think they're on an expedition to darkest Africa is hilarious.

Le Saboteur

The amount of vloggers covering the Disney Parks is absolutely astounding. I'd be surprised if there was a niche left to exploit in order to standout from the rest of the herd.

Anyway.

Here's one more look at the Adventureland revamp. Fast forward to the ~9:00 mark. Even with all the extra seating it looks crowded, and lot of the Adventureland Bazaar is still full of off-brand merchandise. All of the Indiana Jones stuff looks to be stuck into the front corner, but none of it looks particularly appealing.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s31DEeN12V8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ned.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
The amount of vloggers covering the Disney Parks is absolutely astounding. I'd be surprised if there was a niche left to exploit in order to standout from the rest of the herd.]

Sort of sickening. Here's a tip. Learn how to edit.

I'll go before August and give a raven review of its warranted.

IndyBuff

Pale Horse said:

Sadly, that's the drawback of YouTube and social media. Anyone can do it, which means people no longer care about good audio, solid editing, and decent lighting.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:

It's what the kids like, man. It's real! And unfiltered! Not that overly produced corporate nonsense you olds watch, bruh.

YouTube removing time limits was a bad idea.

I don't think a review is necessary. We can see the big changes -- that's obvious -- but I'm sure a few members would like to know if all reference to Indiana Jones has been obliterated from the former Outpost. An idea of what type of merchandise remains in the Bazaar could be useful for some too.

Drab Sab Blabs said:
If Temple of the Forbidden Eye gets removed, then what do you replace it with? What fits the theme of Adventureland?

I had an idea: Mystic Manor*. Not the manor specifically, but taking the idea and the supporting Society of Explorers & Adventurers would lend itself fantastically to Adventureland.

* - Don't watch the ride video unless you really, really have to. The finale with Sun Wu Kong really should be seen in person first. It's amazing.

894a0674014d84a57a77262bf14e7b15--disney-concept-art-disney-art.jpg

Le Saboteur

I learned something new today: the original and current voice for Mara was none other than Darth Vader himself, James Earl Jones. I was surprised. I never even thought about it, but it was confirmed all the way back at the ride's opening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BXr_FkuBN6c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dr.jones1986

Le Saboteur said:
I learned something new today: the original and current voice for Mara was none other than Darth Vader himself, James Earl Jones. I was surprised. I never even thought about it, but it was confirmed all the way back at the ride's opening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BXr_FkuBN6c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its funny I saw this video a few weeks ago and didn't know that either. As a huge Indiana Jones and Star Wars fan, not to mention someone who has been to Disneyland I was shocked to say the least.

InexorableTash

Oh, which thread to post this in. Jungle Cruise? Enchanted Tiki Bar? Indyland? Summer of Mysteries? (Or just Left Coast supremacy?)

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...scovered-in-adventureland-at-disneyland-park/

Disneyland's Aladdin's Oasis (site of the Indy "Summer of Mysteries" live show) is getting removed and turned into what looks like a new food and entertainment venue in Adventureland (a.k.a. Indyland?). This harkens back to the site's original use as the (Tiki-adjacent) Tahitian Terrace restaurant. The details are slim but the blog post seems to hint at rubbing shoulders with cast members (Jungle Cruise skippers?) in that newfangled immersive way that parks are aiming for.

Think they'll serve adult beverages?