Is it just me or do I like least of all, LC?

Montana Smith

Vance said:
*whap*

It's a thiny-veiled way of seeking affirmation.. a 'hope', if you will, for someone to pipe up and say 'no, it's not just you. You're okay and there are others like you out there'.

To that I say "Screw it. You're a freak, on the internet, afraid of being alone in your thoughts. Welcome to life, deal with it." :)

It's not just me then! ;)

Temple Raider

Montana Smith said:
Is it just me or has has anyone else noticed that preceding a question with "Is it just me..." has become prevalent on message boards recently?

It's probably just used since some fans are in a minority when it comes to their views on certain films, like thinking of TLC as the weakest Indy film, which isn't a popular opinion.

I always enjoy hearing different perspectives on the series and other movies, always interesting to hear why someone feels differently :)

Temple Raider

Today I watched TLC again (felt up for watching it for some reason) and one thing that also now has it as my least liked is how Indy himself is sometimes made the butt of jokes in it. I still detest the moment where he disguises himself trying to break into the castle and when he and Henry, Sr. are in the revolving fireplace. Moments like that take me out of the film sometimes when I watch it. I also dislike how clumsy Indy comes off in it in some moments, which he never came off as in the other three.

I wonder if others dislike the bits I mentioned? None of it is enough to make me dislike the film because as I said, I still love it very much. But seeing the main man himself used for silly moments of humor like what I mentioned are some of the things that place TLC at the bottom of the four for me these days. Seeing Indy along with Sallah and Brody sometimes used for over the top humor, it's not my preference in an Indy film.

Mickiana

Temple Raider said:
Today I watched TLC again (felt up for watching it for some reason) and one thing that also now has it as my least liked is how Indy himself is sometimes made the butt of jokes in it. I still detest the moment where he disguises himself trying to break into the castle and when he and Henry, Sr. are in the revolving fireplace. Moments like that take me out of the film sometimes when I watch it. I also dislike how clumsy Indy comes off in it in some moments, which he never came off as in the other three.

I wonder if others dislike the bits I mentioned? None of it is enough to make me dislike the film because as I said, I still love it very much. But seeing the main man himself used for silly moments of humor like what I mentioned are some of the things that place TLC at the bottom of the four for me these days. Seeing Indy along with Sallah and Brody sometimes used for over the top humor, it's not my preference in an Indy film.

I agree. I prefer a steely Indy who is capable even if he doesn't come out on top in his adventures. I particularly find that scene where he falls backwards down the secret stairs crying "Dad!" cringeworthy.

AndyLGR

Temple Raider said:

I find that the comedy turn from Marcus in the tank much more annoying.

I suppose they were trying to recover after some of the comments made at TOD. They wanted to make something more lighthearted and closer to ROTLA, but I think overall TLC takes the comedy angle a bit further than Raiders ever did.

Temple Raider

Both moments are definitely cringe-inducing for sure, forgot about both. And as excellent as Connery was, he had more than a few bad moments in the film that weren't right for his character.

Stoo

Temple Raider said:
And as excellent as Connery was, he had more than a few bad moments in the film that weren't right for his character.
I don't understand what you mean by this, Temple Raider. How can there be out-of-character moments when the 1 hour of screen-time that Henry Sr. has is exactly what establishes his persona in the first place?:confused:

---
In '89, one of the reasons "Crusade" disappointed me is because Indy didn't sport his standard look for most of the film.

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
I don't understand what you mean by this, Temple Raider. How can there be out-of-character moments when the 1 hour of screen-time that Henry Sr. has is exactly what establishes his persona in the first place?:confused:

---
In '89, one of the reasons "Crusade" disappointed me is because Indy didn't sport his standard look for most of the film.

That bugged me too. Also, I thought the jokes were excessive and didn't like Marcus as a fool. And named after the dog bothers me still.

Temple Raider

Stoo said:

I meant his moments when he comes off as like a buffoon, like the umbrella bit. We're to believe he's a wise man and yet he comes off with silly moments like that.

Henry W Jones

Temple Raider said:
I meant his moments when he comes off as like a buffoon, like the umbrella bit. We're to believe he's a wise man and yet he comes off with silly moments like that.

So, causing the birds to fly into the plane makes him look like a buffoon? How does that work? He saves himself and Indy in the scene when they seem oht of options. How is saving themselves unwise?

Vance

Temple Raider said:

Er.. he downed a German fighter by scaring birds into it - the 'silly' lasted as long as the first bird hitting the propeller. I can't see how this bit would be 'unwise'.. Were you really just expecting Connery to do his "James Bond" bit here?

Henry W Jones

Vance said:
Er.. he downed a German fighter by scaring birds into it - the 'silly' lasted as long as the first bird hitting the propeller. I can't see how this bit would be 'unwise'.. Were you really just expecting Connery to do his "James Bond" bit here?

Either
A) Thanks for repeating my post

Or......

B) You are childishly ignoring/blocking my post

Either way.............

p.s. Temple Raider, don't disagree with Vance. He does not like that.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Henry W Jones said:
Either
A) Thanks for repeating my post

Or......

B) You are childishly ignoring/blocking my post

Either way.............

p.s. Temple Raider, don't disagree with Vance. He does not like that.

I think Vance was just putting his opinion of the matter out there as well. Nothing wrong with that. And, I agree with him and you both. Senior saved the day there. Indy was outta ideas. Luckily Senior remembered his Charlemagne.

Henry W Jones

The Drifter said:
I think Vance was just putting his opinion of the matter out there as well. Nothing wrong with that. And, I agree with him and you both. Senior saved the day there. Indy was outta ideas. Luckily Senior remembered his Charlemagne.

I'm fine with that. Its just Vances attitude towards me has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Sincerely Vance, in this instance, I apologize and will try to let past instances interfere in future conversations.

Stoo

Temple Raider said:
Being a buffoon IS part of Henry Sr.'s personality. These "bad/silly moments" are "right for the character" because that's the way he is. Unlike Marcus' case in "Crusade", he was never shown being serious in a previous film so, in 1989, there was nothing to compare with (unless, of course, your first introduction to Henry Sr. was via the later TV series, where he is younger and displays no buffoonery).

From his very first scene, Henry Sr. is portrayed as a goofball when he is more concerned about the broken vase than with his own son's head! Then he throws the vase to the ground, making even more noise, which is followed by this:

Henry Sr.: "But I thought you were one of them."
Indy: "Dad, they come in through the doors."
Henry Sr.: "Good point."
Indy: "D'uh!":rolleyes:

Later on, he ineptly drops the lighter and stupidly makes the fire worse by blowing on the flames from a distance. Is that a wise thing to do when you're trying put them out? Plus, Indy tells his dad to fire the machine gun at 11 o'clock and the old coot doesn't understand the meaning. Not to mention the daffy professor shoots their own plane and won't admit it.

Henry Sr. may be intelligent but he is an accident-prone buffoon. (That said, his character is not what makes "Crusade" my least favourite of the original 3.);)

Temple Raider

I just feel it was silly. I expected the man who's the father to such a skilled, intelligent and resourceful man like Indy to not come off that way.

I forgot about the whole dog bit, too. Even as a kid, I always thought that was odd that Indy's name came from the dog.

Stoo

Temple Raider said:
I just feel it was silly. I expected the man who's the father to such a skilled, intelligent and resourceful man like Indy to not come off that way.
Understood, Temple Raider, but your objection that Henry Sr.'s actions "weren't right for his character" is based on your own pre-conceived notions. (Back in the '80s, I never even thought of what Indy's parents would be like, so seeing his father in "Crusade" came as quite a surprise and I took him for what he was). The contrast between father & son is the MAJOR, driving force of "Crusade" and one of the only elements that establishes it from NOT being a rehash of "Raiders"!;)

Temple Raider, when did you see "Crusade" and how old were you at the time? Which Indiana Jones film was your first and at what age?:confused:
Temple Raider said:
I forgot about the whole dog bit, too. Even as a kid, I always thought that was odd that Indy's name came from the dog.
If you "forgot about the whole dog bit" then I don't really know what else to say to you, Temple Raider. (The "dog" reference is a commonly known THING amongst Indy fans). Even so, what is ODD about Indy being named after the family dog?:confused: Is this minor detail really a factor that makes "Crusade" your least favourite?:confused:

Temple Raider

I first saw TLC when I was about 8 or 9, caught it on the USA Network. I saw TOD first when I was probably just a year or two old and ROTLA not long after that. I'd spent my childhood with ROTLA and TOD, and didn't even know TLC existed until I caught it on USA. Imagine my surprise when I found out about another IJ film existing.

I understand what you mean that being that TLC was Henry, Sr.'s first appearance in the series that we had no idea of what he was like. What I should've been more specific about was I just didn't feel the more silly moments his character had didn't fit because I would've expected the man who's Indy's father to come off as far more noble and intelligent, and in many ways an older version of Indy himself whom was a mirror image in some ways.

About the dog moment, it's not that I forgot about it in the film, I just forgot to mention it before in the discussion. It doesn't really bother me per say but it does strike me as a little odd that Indy's namesake comes from the family dog of all things, but it's actually not a negative for me, mind you. Just something I find bizarre.

RKORadio

Sean Connery fitted Henry Jones Sr. like an ill-fitting suit.
Maybe 20, 30 years earlier he could have done it, but in 1989? No.

Temple Raider

I think he fitted the role very well and did great as Henry, Sr. He just had a few buffoonish moments I think should've been omitted.