View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
TheDutchGhost
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
Hey Dutch Ghost.

Glad to see someone else on here who is trying to get through the Hohlbein novels!

So far I quite liked Erfenis van Avalon and Gevederde Slang. Het Godenschip left me a little underwhelmed.

When I have read the other Hohlbein novels I will have read all the Indiana Jones books.

But the worst I personally indeed find the Army of the Dead.

Apologies for not responding, I don't visit this forum very often and I forget that this forum does not give any update when there is a response to a thread I participated in.

Yeah Ship of the Gods was rather disappointing for me as well like I described in the post. Feathered Snake was okay but never really lived up for me so far I can recall.
I think the last one I read was Secret of Eastern Island. After that I just lost interest in reading more of Hohlbein.

From how you write I assume you find it a challenge as well to get through these books? I hate to say it but I found some rather underwhelming or even boring.

Recently I have been checking out stories of a pulp hero somewhat similar to Indiana Jones called Athena Voltaire. It is not as strong as the Indy stories when they are on their best but it is a good alternative if you have read all the Indy comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirebird1
Army of the Dead can't be as terrible as the Rinzler story Mystery of Mount Sinai, could it?
The story's main villain was a poorly-written, hilariously stereotypical Nazi who shot lightning from his arm. At a certain point, it felt more like a terrible Star Wars novel that stuck Indy in it before it was vomited out onto shelves.

I actually kind of liked Mephisto even if he is over the top, I found him a lot more iconic than a lot of the other villains in the books even if he is a cartoonish stereotype.
The arm is rather Science! than real science but I could accept it.

The plot was indeed a retread of elements from KOTCS regarding by suggesting aliens/advanced alien technology again, and even a little Fate of Atlantis regarding the metal or material the Nazis were looking for, this time a source of anti gravity instead of energy.

Still I would not mind if Indy faced Helmut von Mephisto again.

In general I enjoyed the Scholastic Young Adult books more than a lot of the regular books.
TheDutchGhost is offline   Reply With Quote