16 year cycles...

bdt5528

If Indy 4 arrives in theaters in the summer of 2005 (which all signs seem to currently point to) then there will have been a 16 year gap between Last Crusade (1989) and Indy 4 (2005). Consider these other film franchises for a moment: Godfather III (1990) was released 16 years after part II (1974) and is widely considered the weakest of that trilogy. The Phantom Menace (1999) was released 16 years after Return of the Jedi (1983) and is widely considered the weakest Star Wars Film.

Is this 16 year trend a bad omen for Indy 4? If nothing else, you must admit that it is remarkable that each of these major film franchises has a 16 year gap between films!

00Kevin

Indyfan
it's not so much a 16 year gap that is the problem

when you get a sucessful series going, It's only ganna be gold for the first few years

bond: connery days were golden, but neither moore nor brosnan era's could match up to the bond craze in the 60's

SW: origonal trilogy Vs. prequels, enough said....

godfather as you pointed out

also, as creaters turn older, their creations don't seem as origonal anymore..............mel brooks, his 70's films were the BEST, the 80's and 90's films were okay, but never as good as blasing saddles and young frankenstein

bdt5528 said:
If nothing else, you must admit that it is remarkable that each of these major film franchises has a 16 year gap between films!

yes, that is kind of strange..........BTW:

Welcome to the Raven, Where Paths Cross ;)

monkey

Hmmmmm, time cycles.....hmmmmm

OK, here's something to think about:

By the Asian calendar....

Raiders of the Lost Ark was made in 1981, the year of the Rooster,

Temple of Doom was made in 1984, the year of the Rat,

Last Crusade was made in 1989, the year of the Snake,

If Indy IV is released in 2004 that is the year of the Monkey,

Monkey? Hey, that's great!!

Do you see a pattern here?....... Neither do I.

00Kevin

Indyfan
monkey said:
By the Asian calendar....

Raiders of the Lost Ark was made in 1981, the year of the Rooster,

Temple of Doom was made in 1984, the year of the Rat,

Last Crusade was made in 1989, the year of the Snake,

If Indy IV is released in 2004 that is the year of the Monkey,

Do you see a pattern here?.......

hmmmm, these creatures have played a role in indy films befor:

snakes-phobia scene in raiders and the main phobia in the series

rats-phobia in LC

monkeys-raiders.....uh...I guess marion's ganna have a phobia of monkeys now that that one betrayed her (and did the hail hitler salute)

roosters....hmmmmmmmm

So, I can see Indy 4 now:

Indiana Jones................4

Phobia Scene:

Indy enters the barn in Ohio "Well, there's nothing scary about-wha? ahhh....ahh! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" (runs outta barn)

"THE ROOSTERS ARE GANNA EAT US!!!! EVERYONE RUN FOR YOU LIVES!!!!!"

sallah, shorty, indy, henry, marcus, marion, willie, Elsa's corpse........are all chased by a stampeed of roosters hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Indy Smith

I think however, they're being a bit more careful of Indy 4 than they were of Godfather 3 and TPM. They have more than one guy working on Indy 4. Although Frank Darabont is writing it I'm betting steven, george and Harrison are giving their own good criticism into it. Other people can spot the flaws more easily than yourself.

wolfgang

I trust that won't happen to indy. I dont mean to be selfish, but id I like indy 4 while the rest of the world considers it a bad movie I won't care. If I don't like it, I'll just consider it not a part of the indy triology. But I've been waiting for it for about 4 years now (though i had to catch up since i couldn't use mu comp much this year)and I'm convunced I'll like it

monkey

So Indy IV won't be released until 2005?

Well then there you go....Year of the Rooster again. Just like Raiders.

Indy Smith

wolfgang said:
If I don't like it, I'll just consider it not a part of the indy triology.

Well when Indy 4 is released it won't be a trilogy anymore. There will be four movies and will never be knwon as the Indy Trilgy. A fourth part cannot be a part of a trilogy. A trilogy is three

bob

The difference between Indy IV and the other movies is that Indy IV will be a sequel rather than a new chapter in franchise (or desperate money making exercise). This raises many problems of course but as they arent going to break the mold they will just be giving us ANOTHER Indiana Jones film and really how badly wrong can you get it?

Randy_Flagg

bob said:
The difference between Indy IV and the other movies is that Indy IV will be a sequel rather than a new chapter in franchise

How do you know this? Couldn't Indy IV just be another one of Indy's adventures? Yes, it will inevitably take place after the others, but Last Crusade took place after Raiders, and I didn't really think of it as a sequel, it was just another isolated adventure.

(If Lucas or Spielberg said something about this that I'm not aware of, let me know... I really thought nothing was confirmed yet.)

Indy Smith

well, the new one will be different in that Indy will be a lot older so we'll have this as a theme for the new movie which wasn't present in the other movies.

wolfgang

Well Randy, I know originally last crusade takes place after raiders, but to me, i personally think in mu independent head, that temple happened after raidrs since it was the second movie. its what makes sence to me. In this i am also saying that I think indy 4 won't be a sequel (supporting your idea i hope) ;)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I would be very surprised if it was a sequel. While some characters from the other films might return or show face, it won't carry on from the other films, like most sequels do.

Adventurer

"16"

thats SIXTEEN!
IT MUST BE A CONSPIRACY!!!

And it gets even better! Look at the last digit of every year an Indy film appeared on screen: 1981, 1984, 1989.

Which makes:
First (1) Movie 1981 = 1 ; Second (2) Movie 1984 = 4 ;
Third (3) Movie 1989 = 9

Code:
         +3  +5  +7   
Year:  1   4   9   16
Movie: 1   2   3   4

The fourth film, in the sixteenth year. Perfect predictable. And it was right before our eyes! I can´t believe it!

And i can even predict when we will see INDY 5!!!
Code:
         +3  +5  +7   +9
Year:  1   4   9   16   25
Movie: 1   2   3   4    5

Believe it or not. Indy 5 will be in theaters May, 2030!!!!
Trust Me. Or no one.

Btw, anyone seen Mulder lately? I have to tell him some very important thin...[*CLAP*] Uh-oh. What was that? ...[*SOUNDOFGUNRELOADING*] Nooo! They´re here! I have to esape, i can´t stay any lon[*BLAMM*] Waaaaaaaaah!!!.....

;) :D

swords

Interesting.

You guys sound like my mother. We're about to watch a piece of historical significance on July 4th, and your talking about the bogeyman. Besides, you know what cautious fellows Spielberg and Ford are...

NileQT87

1930--ahk!!!

harrison would be 88 and sean would be 100.

dont think so buddy.

actually if it follows the pattern...

indy IV - 2005

indy V - 2008

indy VI - 2013

they should film them all at once so they come out 2005, 2006 and 2007!

Canyon

Adventurer said:
"16"

thats SIXTEEN!
IT MUST BE A CONSPIRACY!!!

And it gets even better! Look at the last digit of every year an Indy film appeared on screen: 1981, 1984, 1989.

Which makes:
First (1) Movie 1981 = 1 ; Second (2) Movie 1984 = 4 ;
Third (3) Movie 1989 = 9

Code:
         +3  +5  +7   
Year:  1   4   9   16
Movie: 1   2   3   4

The fourth film, in the sixteenth year. Perfect predictable. And it was right before our eyes! I can´t believe it!

And i can even predict when we will see INDY 5!!!
Code:
         +3  +5  +7   +9
Year:  1   4   9   16   25
Movie: 1   2   3   4    5

Believe it or not. Indy 5 will be in theaters May, 2030!!!!
Trust Me. Or no one.

Btw, anyone seen Mulder lately? I have to tell him some very important thin...[*CLAP*] Uh-oh. What was that? ...[*SOUNDOFGUNRELOADING*] Nooo! They´re here! I have to esape, i can´t stay any lon[*BLAMM*] Waaaaaaaaah!!!.....

;) :D

Oh boy, I didn't realise we had John Nash here on the board...:D