Customizing Indy Figures

inky_skin

Errex said:
Most impressive truck conversion!

On an unrelated note, Can the mask on the Cemetery Warrior be removed using acetone?, I know dunking the head in acetone would completaly remove the paint but, Will it also dissolve the glue that holds the mask in place?

Hmmm. Tricky one. The face has eye and eyebrow details under the mask, so you might lose those using acetone. I resorted to cutting the sides with a scalpel - you can preserve the facial features that way. Incidentally, the jaw of the mask is sculpted onto the face - you'd be left with that to deal with even if you removed the upper portion. I don't know who the face under the mask is supposed to be - kinda looked like an aborted Satipo sculpt to me.

lao che & sons

I was just wondering if anyone can possibly try to make club obi wan figures:eek: . Also does anyone know any other action figure lines that are compatable with the hasbro IJ line and that have suits and regular clothing:confused: , I'm thinking I may try a club obi wan Indy:whip: :gun:

Lance Quazar

lao che & sons said:
I was just wondering if anyone can possibly try to make club obi wan figures:eek: . Also does anyone know any other action figure lines that are compatable with the hasbro IJ line and that have suits and regular clothing:confused: , I'm thinking I may try a club obi wan Indy:whip: :gun:

There are a number of possibilities for characters with suits, jackets, etc.

Check out this thread I made back in the fall. In fact, I'm certain I posted these images somewhere in the distant past of this very same gargantuan thread.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3409085&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

This is just the beginning, there are many other suitable possibilities out there, but not all are easy to come by...

JgonzalezNJ

Perhaps you could use the Henry Jones figure body for the whole body and paint it accordinly, white jacket, shirt, black tie, vest and paints.;)

inky_skin

lao che & sons said:

I made this one last summer. It's a KOTCS (jacketed) Indy with a little sculpting for the vest, collar and tie...combined with a cut-down jacket from Sirius Black (Harry Potter line).

indy_club-obi-wan.jpg

indy_shave.jpg

It was my first experiment with acetone (to remove his stubble), and I've subsequently narrowed his stance to make it less action-orientated. Ah, happy days...when I made this I still thought I'd be replacing it with an official Hasbro version by the end of 2008.

I don't know where you'd score a Sirius Black jacket these days. Hopefully when the new movie comes out, whoever bought PopCo will re-release the line.

lao che & sons

Thanks for your help guys! this can also help me in making 2 russian kgbs to complete my campus car chase!:whip:

INKY SKIN-I love that club obi wan figure! did you say that was a seriuous black jacket?;) Also I know the chances are slim and I completely understand if you don't want to sell this but if you did how much would my wallet be hurting?;) :whip:

inky_skin

lao che & sons said:
Thanks for your help guys! this can also help me in making 2 russian kgbs to complete my campus car chase!:whip:

INKY SKIN-I love that club obi wan figure! did you say that was a seriuous black jacket?;) Also I know the chances are slim and I completely understand if you don't want to sell this but if you did how much would my wallet be hurting?;) :whip:

Thanks man. Yes, it's a Sirius Black jacket with about 1/3 of its length removed. Thanks for the offer to buy (I'm flattered), but this one is staying in my collection and I'm shortly retiring from the customising scene for a while.

Lance Quazar

Well, I've finally gotten off my ass and have taken some pictures of my long since complete Belloq custom.

Though I was inspired immeasurably by the incredible talents on this fantastic board and am a mere guppy compared to the customizing GIANTS in this thread, I believe my customs is, to date, unique. Many of the features are familiar to other Belloq customs with one exception - I have used the thighs from the (relatively) new Admiral Thrawn comic pack figure.

Though I have made a few customs over the years, this is easily the most ambitious custom I've ever attempted. Let me know what you think!

Belloq1.jpg

Belloq2.jpg

Full recipe:

Head: IJ Belloq
Torso: IJ RPG Indy
Arms: IJ T-Shirt Mutt
Pelvis & Thigs: SW Comic Pack Grand Admiral Thrawn
Lower Legs: IJ German Soldier
Gun belt: IJ Dovchenko
Hat: GI Joe Comic Pack Red October Figure (can't remember the name)

Luke Sprywalker

WOW, I don't stop by for a day and you guys have turned out some awesome work.

Dark Horse - that is a great idea to turn the cargo truck into the tanker truck. You have done an awesome job piecing everything together. Are you going to make the swing arm on top of the truck as well?

Lance - Great looking custom man. Looks like the painting is top notch don't sell yourself short. All the colors and skin tones match up so I love it. The only thing I see is that the hat is a little big for his head. Many safari hats are big but just my thoughts. I love the set pieces you have in the scene. Where did you get those? The scale is just right.

Dark Horse

Lance - Nice work! Good to see a custom from you!

Here's some updates on my truck. Still having trouble matching the paint.
(Luke - not gonna bother with the swing arm - this is gonna be for refueling ground vehicles I think. The reel and nozzle should be ok for that imo. :) )

100_6339.jpg

100_6336.jpg

100_6335.jpg

Luke Sprywalker

OH HOLY CRAP! I didn't realize the tank was removable! Now we can all try this and don't need a second truck. Everyone should try to make their own version of this style truck. Someone could do the top swing arm if they wanted. This is another great vehicle Dark Horse, very inspiring. Sadly I think I have a can of paint in my shop that will match it much better. Check out Montana Cans, they sell Graffiti paint in all colors under the sun.

Now for an update...

I am calling this one 99% done. All I want now is a cast of my skeleton to add the second one to the scene. If anyone that does casting is interested in having one I would love to send it to you and get the original and 1 cast in return. I have had this little fire bucket made for 2 weeks and finally got some glass paint to make the flames. Here are the latest photos...

DSC_0001-14.jpg

DSC_0002_2.jpg

DSC_0002_3.jpg

DSC_0003_2.jpg

DSC_0010-7.jpg

DSC_0011-9.jpg

Alternate blood stained head on Mola Ram.

DSC_0003-10.jpg

DSC_0002_2-1.jpg

DSC_0002-9.jpg

DSC_0007-9.jpg

DSC_0005-12.jpg

DSC_0015-4.jpg

I went with the red effect on some pics so they would look more like the film. Also a big thanks goes out to a friend, you know who you are, that helped me get the alternate head for Mola Ram and the second blood cup, I made the third skull in the back as it looked different from the rest.

Dark Horse

More great work from you, mate!

A good source of flames is to cut them from a clearenced Human Torch figure. They're everywhere! :D

Lance Quazar

You guys are amazing! Luke, LOVING the new pictures of your gorgeous diorama!

And you put the voodoo doll in there!! Brilliant!!!

Dark Horse, the gas truck is looking sensational!! Phenomenal work, keep it up!

Thanks for the comments on Belloq, you guys are my idols!

Luke, I just got lucky with the colors, the skin tones just happened to match fairly well, I did no painting beyond the outfit on this figure. The neck is a little darker than the head, though. But I chalk that up to the fact that his massive hat ( ;) ) probably keeps his head well shielded from the sun, but not so much his neck.

That said, the hat size doesn't bother me much. I agree it's a little big, but it doesn't seem too far off. I'd rather have it a little big than a little small. I think it looks more noticeable in the first picture with the low angle looking up at it. But I appreciate the honest feedback and I don't want to sound defensive! (y)

As for the egyptian obelisks - I bought those at a hobby store. Prior to that, though, I had been meaning to buy very similar items on ebay, but when I saw them in a store, I snatched 'em up to save on shipping.

All you have to do is put "egyptian obelisk" into an ebay search and many similar items will come up. They're fairly reasonable, don't pay more than $10 to $12 (at the most) a piece.

I still owe you some other pics!!!

Luke Sprywalker

Thanks guys. The flames are made with hot glue, then painted with glass paint. I figured it out years ago when making flames for Jabba's cooking pit. That didn't turn out as good though. I just use the low setting and shape the glue like flames as I apply. I also blow on it as I go to help it cool faster. It looks a mess as you do it but all the strings pull off easily in the end. I didn't think of taking a pic before paint. The fire bucket is a McDonald's condiment cup, I have about 20 of them, with lids. Also I stole the rocks/fake coal from the bottom of my gas log fireplace.

lao che & sons

does anyone know if the star treck action figure heas can be used on indiana jones figures:confused: ? I wan't to us sulu to make a lao che(y) or wu han(y)

Dark Horse

Here's some more progress on the truck- Humbrol Olive Drab FTW!

100_6350.jpg

100_6351.jpg

100_6352.jpg

Just gotta add the decals (that should have arrived days ago) and it's done!

lao che & sons

does anyone know if the star treck action figure heads can be used on indiana jones figures:confused: ? I wan't to us sulu to make a lao che(y) or wu han(y)

sebillba

lao che & sons said:
does anyone know if the star treck action figure heads can be used on indiana jones figures:confused: ? I wan't to us sulu to make a lao che(y) or wu han(y)

To quote tnswman from page 76 of this very thread:

"I just got the entire Star Trek line today at Wal-Mart ( look on the endcaps in big shelf stands )..They do NOt have the appropriate heads..The heads and necks are attached like theold SW figures and NOT ball / swivel heads."

inky_skin

Couple of new customs figures for you. If you've been over at Cool Toy Review during the blackout here, you may have already seen them...

Marion: Raven Bar

Marion_Front.jpg
marion_braid.jpg

Indiana Jones: Jim Steranko Concept Art

steranko_indy2.jpg