What Fedora Do You Own?

Which Fedora Do You Own

• Total voters

indytim

Glenville86 said:
Honestly, I wear a 7 1/4 in almost every hat. Translates to a 58 European. I always just order my size whenever I commission a custom fedora or buy one off the rack. When I joined the Army years ago, that was when I found out my real hat size vice the small, medium, large and X-large that many cheaper hats use.

I would suggest just going into a store and trying on a few to get the right size. Most of the custom Indy fedora preowned ones I picked up were from people who used a tape measure and the measurements were off. They ended up with hats that did not fit. I think they would have been better off just ordering their normal hat size. Some makers like Penman just wants the tape measure but you can just convert your size into the measurement he wants.

You don't want a snug fit. The sweat will conform to your head after you wear it some. Anything can be placed behind the sweat band (spacers) if it is slightly loose. I order cork strips off a guy in Canada but even just folding a paper towel to fit behind the sweat works fine.

That is just my opinion and some might recommend a tape measure vice just trying on some quality hats to get the right size.

This information is very much appreciated. I'm now going to go around a few hat shops to try on their wares to see if a common size that fits me well presents itself. Getting a hat that is too tight is my main concern.

Glenville86

As I said, I wear a 58 or 7 1/4. I will not hesitate to buy a 7 3/8 (one size up) if it is a screaming deal. I just use those cork spacers behind the sweat and everything is good. ;)

Blackadder

If it is a little tight there are methods to stretch it up a bit, but yeah always go with a size up if you are between sizes.

Blackadder

So , couldnt resist pulling the trigger on this when I saw it was my size , an Adventurebuilt Crystal Skull in beaver made by Steve Delk (heard he was going to retire soon ?). A whole league of difference from my AdVintage , much nicer color and the feel on the head is great. Happy to own something made by the same hands that made the hat for Harrison.

AB.jpg

ab310.jpg

ab210.jpg

Glenville86

Glenville86 said:
Just scored a nice condition Penman Raiders in rabbit on the Fedora Lounge for a little over 200 USD. Not bad as they go for 375 if you order one and then the wait time.......Also have one of Everyman" 80/20 bashed into a Raiders I picked up on EBay pretty cheap.

Some folks order their custom/semi custom hats and they receive ill fitting ones. Not sure if it is the maker or the wrong measurements but I have scored about 4 Indy ones overs the last few years on the cheap.

Ended up changing the bash on the rabbit Penman into a teardrop one. Lowered the height a little. Also changed the tight pinch into a looser pinch. Have never been a big fan of the Raiders pinch.........:eek:

Drones33

Looks good. I did something similar with my Christy`s Adventurer; the crown was just a touch too high I felt. The teardrop lowers it a bit.

This is my current collection;
hats_1_by_00177840-dbtbxor.jpg

Top left, Akubra Fed IV in carbon grey(a nice representation of the Raiders clipper fedora)
Top right, Advintage Junior. My favourite, and the one Ive had longest. Great colour.
Bottom, Christy`s Adventurer with a touch of Fullers.

Krash1974

Hello!
First time posting and I'm happy to say that I ordered a Fed IV today and it has just started shipping!
I'm super excited!:D

fabiovenhorst

My vintage Borsalino "Castoro". it's a late 40's beaver hat, with the all right dimensions of the Raiders hat. The felt on the crown is amazing, easy to hand crease so I store the hat open crown and put the crease on it each time I wear the hat. The ribbon is not the "Indy color" but I do not intend to modify the hat because I love it exactly as it was made.

Last edited:

fabiovenhorst

Drones33 said:
A Before and After shot of my reshaped Coyles.
coyle3_1_by_00177840-dap0e1b.jpg

And the finished article. Nice looking fedora, probably closest to the Raiders hat in terms of proportion. Very stiff felt, almost cardboard-like, even after the steam treatment. Much prefer my Advintage fedoras for an everyday hat, probably use this for fancy dress/cosplay etc...
coyles4_1_by_00177840-dap0fin.jpg

The new ribbon and the bow I made turned out well .
Nice work.
I had a Coyle's Downtowner for 6 years and the felt color faded a lot. It was brown, now it's khaki.

fabiovenhorst

I have a small collection of fedoras and other hats too. All vintage.

Mallory (60's)

Mallory Ten Pliafelt (40's)

Chapéus Cury (brazilian) (60's)

Ramenzoni (brazilian) (60's)

Sombreros De Luca (Argentina) (60's)

Melton & Co. top hat (1930's)

Brunetto (brazilian) (40's)

Tress & Co. bowler (1920's)

Last edited: