LOTS of new books just announced

kongisking

walker said:
Wow! I wasn't expecting to see this. A week or two back I mentioned that there were two new Indy books, one available now (Indiana Jones Biografia - now available at Powell's Books online site) and another entitled The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, due sometime in early 2008. Now I just found another dozen or so additional books. Lucasfilm must really be ramping up the licensing efforts. I found a number of these on Amazon's Canadian site, so I'm uncertain if they'll be available here in the U.S.

Here's the complete list:

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON.CA (CANADA)

1) Indiana Jones: Last Crusade Novelization by Ryder Windham (pubbing on 4/1/2008)

2) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark Novelization by Ryder Windham (4/1/2008)

3) Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom Novelization by Ryder Windham (4/1/2008)

Since there have already been novelizations written for the three movies, I think the listings above are a little deceptive. Ryder Windham writes a lot of books for DK Publishing, and they specialize in very heavily illustrated, hardcover "behind the scenes" movie tie in books. I suspect these are the books the Lucas mentioned a month or two ago which document the making of the original films.

4) Indiana Jones 4 Movie Novelization by James Luceno (4/1/2008)
Scholastic is publishing this for the young adult set (ages 12 - 16). This makes sense as Luceno has a history with Indy, having written the YA novel that was adapted from two episodes of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. (Most of the other YIJ books were for younger kids, like the one below.)

5) Indiana Jones 4 Movie Reader by Ben Harper (4/1/2008)
This is another Scholastic title, but geared toward intermediate readers (ages 8 - 11).

6) Indiana Jones Scrapbook (no author listed; 4/1/2008)
ANOTHER Scholastic title, but I have no idea what this one is about.

7) The Adventures of Indiana Jones by Cambell Black, James Khan and Rob MacGregor (2/26/2008)
This looks like a bind up of the three original Indiana Jones movie novelizations as it's listed as being 720 pages in length.

AVAILABLE FROM AMAZON.COM (U.S.)

1) Glow-in-the-Dark Indiana Jones Ultimate Sticker Book by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
This is strictly for kids and is only 16 pages in length.

2) Indiana Jones Ultimate Stick Book by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
Another one for kids.

3) Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide by DK Publishing (3/17/2008)
Amazon notes that this book is also for kids, but is pretty substantial at 144 pages. I have no idea what it could be. Sounds cool though.

4) The Adventures of Indiana Jones by Cambell Black, James Khan and Rob MacGregor (2/26/2008)
This looks to be the same as the bind up listed on the Canadian site, so at least we know that one will be easy to get.

So there you have it. Looks like we may have some fun stuff to look forward to. I really hope they bring out some new original stories as well and not just adaptations of the various films. Keep your fingers crossed.

walker

Beautiful...I think I'm gonna cry, I am so happy. One-volume reprints of old Indy novelizations? DK Indy "Ultimate Guide"? Indy 4 junior novel? It's too much Indy goodness to believe. I am going to shop my arms off next year. These books are going to be GREAT! Thank you, thank you, thank you Walker! Just be sure to tell us when we are gonna get new "choose your own adventure" books and who the Indy 4 adult novel will be written by!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's the trilogy of novelizations...
51yjBd4S8KL._AA240_.jpg

But would they really release the Indy 4 junior novelization on April 1? Sounds like a major spoiler for the kiddies. I sorta doubt it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah, April 1st... a bit strange. But then again, my brother got one of those junior novels for Spiderman 3, which was based on Harry as the Green Goblin and it didn't really spoil anything other than Harry becoming the New Goblin but we kinda expected that. And that was released a couple of weeks before the movie. So is this a full junior movie adaptation or is it only an adaptation of a character or aspect or part of the movie?

I must say I'm really glad about the Adventures of Indiana Jones book. I have always wanted to read Black's and Khan's takes on the novelisations. I have read MacGregor's, but will be awesome to finally have a copy of all three. Very exciting stuff all round.

Niteshade007

If I had to guess, since it's a junior novel, it'll be about Shia's character, and not really spoil too much. That one makes the most sense logically at this point.

xfkirsten

Would love to see a relaunch of the original novels! One of my jobs is working in a used bookstore, and I've had quite a few customers come in asking for them, particularly Rob MacGregor's stuff.

As far as the DK books go - very cool!! I really love their guides! But I would imagine that they'll be current through KOTCS... and coming out two months before the movie, how much will it spoil? I know those books really can spoil... when the Pirates of the Caribbean one first came out early last year (before the second film), I saw it in a bookstore and started flipping through it... only to be spoiled for Dead Man's Chest!

mfisher

I cant wait for the DK Indy books with all the gear photos !! Those will be must haves for my reference library I use to build custom figures

Matthew

I would be worried if they released the first 3 movie books together or a 'making of book' that included the first three but not kotcs, that's like a subconcious but blatant statement at the franchise level that kotcs is so bad it's not to be juxtaposed with the other films.. if this is how they release the books.

all kotcs info. keeps me on a vicious cycle of doubt and worry - and back to hope and excitement

fixer79

Adamwankenobi said:
I hope that DK guide includes information about Young Indy as well. :)

Sadly, I kind of doubt it... Maybe a page or two, just to mention the series...

In fact it would be great to have a seperate DK Ultimate guide about the Young Indy series... More than enough interesting material to fill a seperate book!
Maybe when the DVD sets sell really well they'll consider it...

xfkirsten

A quick Amazon.com search for Indy just showed a date change - the Luceno KOTCS novelization now shows a May 22 release date. The Rollins novelization, however, still seems to be set for the 20th! :)

Many of the other books seem to have been pushed back by about a 2-4 weeks or so, as well.