The Fedora Despensable?

Indy Benson

My beloved baseball cap has been washed a few times. I have one of those hat washer frame-things that you place your hat in, then you put it in the dishwasher. It works well, keeping the original shape of the cap intact.

Johan

Even If Indy didn't mind replacing his hat, don't you think he would have kept his first one as a keepsake?

Johan

That hat ought to look a little worn out in the fourth movie...inless he replaced it!

IAdventurer01

I think that while techincally all items are replacable, Indy goes through great lengths to NOT lose anything, especially his hat and whip. However, regarding...

Renderking Fisk said:
All this is thrown out the window when speaking about Jones who kept his fedora on through out most of Raiders of The Lost Ark, when Jones had to leave it behind when the German sub caught up with him.

But let's think for a moment HOW they got off that island. They came by sub and the only way off was by sub, or using the sub's radio to call in help. Maybe he radioed the ship he was on to help and he got his hat back. Just a thought. :)

IndyBuff

Wow, this is a neat discussion. I can't believe I never bothered to search for it before.

This topic is ultimately a case of opinion and personal taste. While the movies, novels, and games never state that Indy loses or replaces any of his items, it also doesn't prove that he never bought something else to replace them either. In my opinion, I like to believe that the hat, jacket, bag, etc. are always the same and that they can simply be found or cleaned if there's a problem. Still, I don't think there's any right or wrong answer and it's simply a matter of taste.

By the way, the line about "it's replaceable" is from The Seven Veils novel and I always had the impression that Indy said that to make the guide who was burning his hat feel better and to warn him to be more careful. To me, this is an issue just like the Indy timeline: everyone has their own opinion and preference and I don't think there's any right or wrong answer.:)

qwerty

This might be a little off the topic but I have to say that fedora is very unpractical in advantuers. That is at least today so.

Let's name a few problems:
- wind
- hairstyle under the hat
- fedora becomes a thing more that you have to think about
- police

This last one is the definite problem. I wore a ferdora on my last trip and wherever I went there was always a cop around ready to call backup and run after me. I do not know why but everywhere I went there was a policeman (or a policewoman) checking me out and waiting for me to make a mistake.

For that reason I do not sugest wearing a fedora to advantures. Leave that thing to Indy.

Gustav

Well I was actually joking, buyt I did do something equally as stupid when I was little. Remember that part in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Judge Doom slips on the ping pong balls or golf balls and he falls down hard like a loony toon? I tried re-enacting that with some round dog food pellets and it worked a little too well.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm a fan of Roger Rabbit too!!:D But, I never tried re-enacting that scene. I always tried to run through walls like Roger Rabbit after he goes nuts from a drink at Maroon's office and smashes through the window when I was real little. I was a rather bizarre child.

Gustav

I love that part! Roger goes crazy and then we find out it wasn't even alcohol. I always laugh at how the window has a hole in it the exact shape of Roger. I have been trying to procure that soundtrack for quite some time to no avail. I thought I had it one time when I won it on Ebay and it never came! Now I make sure I have the seller's email address and their home address before I bid. The same thing happened with a '33 King Kong poster. I have checked every store that sells CDs to see if they can order The Roger Rabbit soundtrack but it's an elusive creature.
The film does a great job at capturing the essence of the 1930's. At least that's what my idea of the 30's looks like.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndyJohan said:
How in the WORLD did this turn into a Roger Rabbit Thread?

Sorry, got carried away with the mention of it. I'll set up a thread for it and see if anyone's interested.;)

Johan

Back on topic......
Fedoras were not as popular in the 50's, I'm wondering if the charachter would look way too out of place in the surroundings of Indy 4