Best Planet Of The Apes sequel?

Which is the best?

• Beneath The Planet Of The Apes (1969)

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Escape From The Planet Of The Apes (1971)

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes (1972)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Battle For The Planet Of The Apes (1973)

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

CasualJeff

I hated Burton's remake. And the Ape-braham Lincoln "twist" was absolutely laughable.

...and yet, I would watch a sequel. I like the idea of a Planet of the Apes movie where the ape society has modern-day technology.

Stoo

CasualJeff said:
Then I finally see the second one and find out that, while it was very good--Cornelius and Zira have pretty much no part in the story,
Some people may not know but Roddy McDowall was not in "Beneath" which is most likely why where their roles were so small.
Apparently, Roddy hated wearing the makeup and didn't want to do a sequel. I gue$$ he didn't hate it enough by doing 3 more
films & the TV series.

Resident Alien said:
This is really a question of which was the least awful. And to that, I'd have to say Escape. It caused me the least pain, certainly.
So, did "Escape" get your vote then because it's now leading by a head. I see 2 people voted for "Battle". Step forward, people!
Who are you Battle-lovers? (It bugs me that you can't see who participated in a poll after voting.) The extended cut of that one
makes it better.

Goonie said:
I wonder if anyone will come forward and make a sequel to Tim Burton's remake.
I would looooove for this to happen.:D The ending is a the perfect setup for an interesting sequel.
The film itself was a major disappointment but it does have some appealing aspects which is why,
like yourself, I own the 2-disc DVD. It's a guilty pleasure.:eek: Rick Baker rocks.
CasualJeff said:
I hated Burton's remake. And the Ape-braham Lincoln "twist" was absolutely laughable.
...and yet, I would watch a sequel. I like the idea of a Planet of the Apes movie where the ape society has modern-day technology.
Every person I know who saw it thought it was terrible. To me, it was disappointing but was pleased that it
wasn't a re-do of the classic and took the concept in a new direction. Ha ha, "Ape-braham". Too funny, Jeff!:D

For ape society with modern-day technology:
- the animated series "Return to the Planet..." (to a certain extant)
- an early '90s comic series, "Ape City", has a society similar to where M.Wahlberg winds up.
- the video game (2001) by Ubi Soft from before the new film. It's different from the original & the Burton take. Gloomy & scary!
- the original, Pierre Boulle novel, "La Planete des Singes". (Same man who wrote Bridge on the River Kwai.) Directly translated it
would be "Monkeys" but look for the paperback in English with the title we all know. I'll try not to reveal the ending.;)

Stoo said:
So, did "Escape" get your vote then because it's now leading by a head.

That it did. I still found myself screaming at the film for all of its inconsistencies and improbabilities... but it was much more plausible (hah) than the others.

|ZiR| said:
Is implausibility such a terrible thing?

In the case of the Ape sequels...

...yes. I mean, they completely ignored their own time line through much of the sequels. By the time we got to the final film, there were so many paradoxes and script contrivances, and the time line had been so shortened and neglected that it stopped making any sense at all. It was purely an issue of easy $$$. Sad.

phantom train

Just a comment on the Tim Burton 2001 "re-imagining" POTA film. I may be one of the few who thought this film was excellent (I saw it three times in the theatre). And, I liked this film better than the last three original POTA movies.

The ending, where the astronaut landed on a "parallel Earth"? and found that the Apes had evolved in his absense (at least that's one explanation) was actually one of the best endings of a sci-film I've seen.
Even if some didn't like this ending, it's worth noting that this was
very similiar to the ending of the original "Planet of the Apes" novel by Pierre Boulle (originally published in 1963), and was an obvious homage to the book.

Montana Smith

I loved the original Apes movies and TV series (in varying degrees), and even prefer the original make-up to Tim Burton's more realistic approach.

The original Mego 8" figures (which I received second hand) were amongst my favourite toys as a kid. Although the stories weren't all that great (especially with the TV series) I find myself on a huge nostalgia trip when I see the originals, which Burton failed to capture for me.

The one good thing in Burton's version was the running on all fours.

I voted for Beneath, but Escape would be a close second, followed by Conquest. Battle was my least favourite.

RA commented on the paradoxes and inconsistencies, and I spent many an hour in my youth trying to figure out how it would all fit into a timeline. The stories are really the chicken and egg syndrome.

Montana Smith said:
I loved the original Apes movies and TV series (in varying degrees), and even prefer the original make-up to Tim Burton's more realistic approach.
Tim Burton should be ashamed of himself.

Montana Smith said:
The one good thing in Burton's version was the running on all fours.
I appreciate the concept, the execution looked as bad as the Morlocks in the most recent "The Time Machine" whose upgrades were for the most part well done. But the acting, "sigh".

Montana Smith said:
I voted for Beneath, but Escape would be a close second, followed by Conquest. Battle was my least favourite.
I agree. You cannot duplicate the impact, (and Serling feeling) of the original. Brent was fine and it was great to see Heston again. Amazing that even though they made money they continued to cut budgets for each subsequent film.

Montana Smith said:
RA commented on the paradoxes and inconsistencies, and I spent many an hour in my youth trying to figure out how it would all fit into a timeline. The stories are really the chicken and egg syndrome.
Seeing it as a child introduced these concepts as you say and we debated it out with our friends to make sense of it!

I recently showed my kids 8 and 11 the Tim Burton one and they panned it praising the original! God I love em!(y)

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I recently showed my kids 8 and 11 the Tim Burton one and they panned it praising the original! God I love em!(y)

That's really neat that they should prefer the original. Tim Burton's version seemed to be a cold remake, without any passion. Maybe that's something they picked up on when comparing with the originals. The originals were a passionate plea for racial tolerance at a time when the issue was still very raw.

Montana Smith said:
That's really neat that they should prefer the original. Tim Burton's version seemed to be a cold remake, without any passion. Maybe that's something they picked up on when comparing with the originals. The originals were a passionate plea for racial tolerance at a time when the issue was still very raw.

The original was stark, oddly familiar yet alien. I don't think they picked up on racial overtones. I think, for them, they are aware of animal testing far more then racism. But it's just another metaphor that they can consider down the road when they encounter it. That's one of the superior aspects of the original. The themes were more powerful than the effects. Taylor was philosophical...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The original was stark, oddly familiar yet alien. I don't think they picked up on racial overtones. I think, for them, they are aware of animal testing far more then racism. But it's just another metaphor that they can consider down the road when they encounter it. That's one of the superior aspects of the original. The themes were more powerful than the effects. Taylor was philosophical...

Well said, Rocket. The original Apes films were a plea against all forms of cruelty and intolerance. I remember as a kid being quite upset by some of the stories (there was one such in the original annual). Whilst Burton is a master film-maker in his own right, I find his films a bit too theatrical for their own good (too many claustrophobic covered sets in many of his films), and His version of POTA seemed to lack the power of the originals, regardless of their superior effects.

Stoo

Hooray! It's OFFICIAL

Stoo said:
Oh, YES! Please, G_d, please let this happen...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=26801
Not too crazy about the CG apes but I'm sure the gang at WETA will do a decent job. It would also be nice if the title was "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" but I'm not going to complain because in my book, more "Apes" is a good thing.:D

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118018873.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=mv

From Variety: Posted: Thurs., May 6, 2010, 2:45pm PT

Fox sets release for 'Apes' prequel
Rupert Wyatt to direct 'Rise of the Apes'
By Pamela McClintlock

Twentieth Century Fox will release prequel "Rise of the Apes" on June 24, 2011, with Rupert Wyatt confirmed to direct.

Title is tentative.

Studio is partnering with Peter Jackson's visual effects company WETA Digital on the film, which relaunches the "Planet of the Apes" franchise.

Chernin Entertainment is producing.

Wyatt will direct from a script by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who also are producing with Chernin Entertainment's Peter Chernin and Dylan Clark.

"Rise of the Apes" is an origins story set in present-day San Francisco. The film is a reality-based cautionary tale, where man's own experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

WETA will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

BLASPHEMY!

Planet of the Apes was largely responsible for the make/ prosthetic effects revolution... and they're going to dishonor that fine heritage with CGI apes?

:sick:

Montana Smith

Posters from the 2012 section of www.mondoarchive.com:

apesansinarchive_thumb.jpg

apestaylorarchive_thumb.jpg

apeskellyarchive_thumb.jpg

apespccarchive_thumb.jpg

apesflorianarchive_thumb.jpg

apesedmistonarchive_thumb.jpg

Stoo

I like them all, except the ones for "Escape" and "Battle". The one for "Planet" is superb!(y)

The "Go Ape!" poster is, essentially, a straight copy of one from 1975, when all 5 movies were re-released, but it's still a great image. (In my Apes collection, I have a couple of vintage, promo TV commercials from that time that use the slogan, too.)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I like them all, except the ones for "Escape" and "Battle". The one for "Planet" is superb!(y)

My thoughts exactly.

Escape is wishy washy, and Battle looks like it's taken from another composition, but I can't place it.

Stoo said:
The "Go Ape!" poster is, essentially, a straight copy of one from 1975, when all 5 movies were re-released, but it's still a great image. (In my Apes collection, I have a couple of vintage, promo TV commercials from that time that use the slogan, too.)

Here's a soldier pointing his Ford finger:

Go_ape.jpg

I had such fond memories of this annual...

Bandw_annual75.jpg

...that when I couldn't find it a year or so ago, I had to track another one down.

I loved Beneath because the tone was similar, until we got into the forbidden zone.

Great to see Taylor again and the end was great...an end.

Now Escape was great because they flat out addressed all the ideas hinted to in the first two.

Though I always wished they had a better explanation for the repair of the ship than Milo was a genius!:rolleyes: