The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Adamwankenobi

Don't get me wrong, I like the Harrison Ford bookends a lot! It was cool to see him back in the role. But, maybe because I'm aware of the production background of those bookends (shot at the last minute, made up of some of George Hall's dialogue), they just give off a very hurried and forced vibe.

Flannery10

Adamwankenobi said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the Harrison Ford bookends a lot! It was cool to see him back in the role. But, maybe because I'm aware of the production background of those bookends (shot at the last minute, made up of some of George Hall's dialogue), they just give off a very hurried and forced vibe.

True, that's what always thought, but they have a lot more action that all the other George Hall bookends together, which is why they are so unique.

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
I might get some tomatoes thrown at me for saying this but,
Flannery10 said:
"Throwing Tomatoe at Adam!"

True, that's what always thought, but they have a lot more action that all the other George Hall bookends together, which is why they are so unique.
Oh, yeah! Several tomatoes, a pumpkin and a couple of rotten eggs!:p :D Adam, you've gone loco, buddy!
The Ford bookends have Ford, a new sidekick, a new villain, a new artifact, a new vehicle chase & a new look for Indy.
Despite the cheesy ending, they're better than all the G.Hall ones combined (to me, anyway).
Don't get me wrong as I do love the interplay between young Spikey-boy and Grandpa Jones.
I think my favourite line is, "You don't need a fuse to play the blues!"

As for the same dialogue between Carrier/Hall and Ford/Hall...that Old Indy, he just keeps
tellin' the same story over and over the exact same way like one of my grandparents did.

My version for Part 6 is almost done and the image/audio quality is very good.

Blue Jay

Stoo said:
Thanks for the link, Flannery. Yes, mine are better quality (but not 100% perfect).
I like these bookends a lot and will most likely post mine but am leaving for Berlin tomorrow!(y)
Will write more when I get back!

Indeed, and as Flannery noted, the narration in "My First Adventure" is almost identical.

Uhh someone from The Raven finally coming to Berlin :D

PM me, if you are still in Berlin.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Despite the cheesy ending, they're bette than all the G.Hall ones combined (to me, anyway).

Wow, I would have never expected you to say that! :eek: ;)

The George Hall bookends are just more fun to me. I like all of his goofy mannerisms and things like that. :p

Stoo said:
My version for Part 6 is almost done and the image/audio quality is very good.

:D

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
Well, good luck on your trip! How long are you gonna stay there? It's a great city indeed and you can spend a lot of time there without getting bored.
Only went for the weekend but saw a lot. Some great architecture along the river near the Reichstag!:cool:
BlueJay said:
Uhh someone from The Raven finally coming to Berlin

PM me, if you are still in Berlin.
Dang! I came back on Monday. It would have been cool to meet up. I was at the Park Inn Alexanderplatz.
You have a fine city!:)
Adamwankenobi said:
Wow, I would have never expected you to say that!

The George Hall bookends are just more fun to me. I like all of his goofy mannerisms and things like that.
"You'll find I'm full of surprises.":)

Seriously, I love the old codger, but he was an acquired taste. It took a few episodes for me to start wanting to see him.
The opening Ford bookend is still as thrilling today as it was in '93. The music, the point-of-view shot of the road, Harrison
behind the wheel in a snow-bound, 1950 car chase! Unique and (canon-wise) uber-important.

Old Indy's goofy mannerisms are fun and very consistent thanks to George Hall.
I really love when he angrily yells at Spike after he says, "Grandpa, not another story."
"I've been listening to you! Now, you listen to me!"

My favourite of his mannerisms is when he jerks his head back before launching into one of his tales.
A good example of this happens in the jail cell for the "Germany" episode. He's a feisty ol' bugger!

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Seriously, I love the old codger, but he was an acquired taste. It took a few episodes for me to start wanting to see him.

Agreed. I thought he was pretty bizarre at first (didn't hate him, but didn't love him), but eventually grew fond of him. :)

Stoo said:
My favourite of his mannerisms is when he jerks his head back before launching into one of his tales.
A good example of this happens in the jail cell for the "Germany" episode. He's a feisty ol' bugger!

Or in "Verdun", when his finishes his story... before he finds the man asleep.

fommes

Stoo said:
The music, the point-of-view shot of the road, Harrison
behind the wheel in a snow-bound, 1950 car chase!
You gotta love that Ford sequence; I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it (I was quite young).
What always intrigued me was the music in that sequence: there's a Williams theme in there from Raiders if I'm not mistaken (it's been a decade since I saw it at least, I can't remember which right now).

Junior Jones

Stoo, a question for you.

I was re-watching your Old Indiana Jones Chronicles on Youtube. I noticed that some of the episodes have location and date titles, but not all. For example, just before we see Old Indy fishing around in the mailbox for his lunch, it says "Trenton, September 1992".

My question, since I don't remember these being on the original episodes at all: Were these on every episode, and they got cut out when you edited them together for Youtube? Or were they only on a few?

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
Stoo, a question for you.

I was re-watching your Old Indiana Jones Chronicles on Youtube. I noticed that some of the episodes have location and date titles, but not all. For example, just before we see Old Indy fishing around in the mailbox for his lunch, it says "Trenton, September 1992".

My question, since I don't remember these being on the original episodes at all: Were these on every episode, and they got cut out when you edited them together for Youtube? Or were they only on a few?
These locations & dates are new. I created them to match the original title cards
(which I elminated) since these are the stories of Indy in the '90s. Where it says
"Trenton, September 1992" used to read "Austria, March 1917". The other titles
were dropped to suggest that the mailbox/donut shop/jail all take place in Trenton.

The chronology and dates follow the the original broadcasts and the grouping of some
bookends into chapters comes from how well they fit together logically. Which is why,
for instance, "Philadelphia, October 1992" (Barcelona) is a stand-alone chapter.
The locations are educated guesses based on clues provided within each pair.
(In retrospect, I wish I'd been more precise on Parts 1 & 2!)

The 2 difficult ones will be "Transylvania" & "Peking" since Hallowe'en & Thanksgiving
don't jive with the airdates!:eek:

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
The chronology and dates follow the the original broadcasts and the grouping of some
bookends into chapters comes from how well they fit together logically. Which is why,
for instance, "Philadelphia, October 1992" (Barcelona) is a stand-alone chapter.
The locations are educated guesses based on clues provided within each pair.
(In retrospect, I wish I'd been more precise on Parts 1 & 2!)

It's kind of funny how some of the two-parters were presented as two-hour episodes, while others were kept seperate. I guess it would have been difficult coming up with a proper title (since they always have a pulpy/action element to them) for a "German East Africa" and "Congo" combo... Young Indiana Jones and the Reverance for Life? Young Indiana Jones and the African Adventure? Or of course, Young Indiana Jones and the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life? :p

Crack that whip

I believe George's full intended title is German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life.

It's a great movie / two-part episode, but for anyone who hasn't already seen it, I think I'd recommend waiting until next year's special theatrical presentation of German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life: The Special Edition. Aside from a splendid new audio mix and state-of-the-art new effects, it's supposed to add four minutes of additional footage, and only one of them to accommodate the title.

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
I believe George's full intended title is German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life.

It's a great movie / two-part episode, but for anyone who hasn't already seen it, I think I'd recommend waiting until next year's special theatrical presentation of German East Africa, December 1916 to Congo, January 1917: Young Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. aka Henri Defense, and the Raiders of the Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life: The Special Edition. Aside from a splendid new audio mix and state-of-the-art new effects, it's supposed to add four minutes of additional footage, and only one of them to accommodate the title.

:eek:

I'm sure it will be followed by Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB: Special Edition; a digitally remastered, extended and CGI-enhanced version of Lucas' original student film, finally presented "the way it was meant to be seen" after 41 years. :p

Matinee Idyll

Adamwankenobi said:
:eek:
I'm sure it will be followed by Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB: Special Edition; a digitally remastered, extended and CGI-enhanced version of Lucas' original student film, finally presented "the way it was meant to be seen" after 41 years. :p

:D

Very funny mate! (y)

TalonCard

Been lurking here for quite a while now, waiting for my account to be activated. Stoo, my family and I have really enjoyed the "Old Indiana Jones Chronicles"--adding the places and dates in the titles is extremly amusing. We can't wait for the next installment.

Seeing these bookends at long last has had two major effects on me. For one thing, I look at older people in a different light than I used to--I'm always wondering what it was like for them growing up in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. Turns out they've had some interesting adventures too!

Second, the line "I remember the time when my friend Remy and I..." has become a running joke at my house. "You think you've had a bad day? I remember the time when my friend Remy..." "That reminds me of the time Remy and I..." ;)

TC

Stoo

Part 6

The adventures of Old Indy carry on with our fist glimpse of his life at home
and the introduction of his 1952 Plymouth. These bookends also feature the
sole appearance of grandson, Spike, and a sneak-peek at Indy's daughter.

Others have already uploaded these to YouTube but their quality isn't that great.
So, here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00uVYYvqwLc

Adamwankenobi

Where exactly is Indy's daughter? Is she supposed to be one of the women listening to Indy in the second bookend? I thought those were supposed to be neighbors? I suppose she came outside to see what all the fuss was about or something. :confused:

tupogirl

Stoo said:
The adventures of Old Indy carry on with our fist glimpse of his life at home
and the introduction of his 1952 Plymouth. These bookends also feature the
sole appearance of grandson, Spike, and a sneak-peek at Indy's daughter.

Others have already uploaded these to YouTube but their quality isn't that great.
So, here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00uVYYvqwLc

What does the jar say? I tried pausing it, but I still can't read it. I wonder if it's important;).