Young Indiana's Coin Collection

WilliamBoyd8

Vogel opened a restaurant in Indiana:

post_matchbook_vogels.jpg

:)

Montana Smith

Vogel's in Indiana?

Reminds me of Von Stalhein's interpretation of the tank scene.

325.jpg

There's a page with several postcards of the restaurant.

WhitingIndiana-VogelsRestaurant04-circa1950-SS.jpg

WhitingIndiana-VogelsRestaurant06-circa1950-SS.jpg

Vogel's Restaurant Inc. 1250 Indianapolis Boulevard, Whiting, Ind. In Business Since 1922. Vogel's Restaurant, Inc. Whiting, Indiana. Famous for Fish, Chicken, Steak and Frog-leg Dinners. Catering to Banquets and Parties, Large or Small. Routes 41, 12 and 20. 14 Miles South from Chicago's Loop. Bus Service to Door. Phone Whiting 1250.

Stoo

These coins are from the Indiana Jones "Diary 1990", published by Charles Letts & Co. (The image quality isn't great but is the best that I could get from the low-res image that I found.)

They look similar to a Chinese coin that I have. What do you say, WilliamBoyd?:confused:

1990Diary_CharlesLettsAndCo_4_zps57ab1294.jpg

WilliamBoyd8

These are Chinese copper "cash" coins which were made for centuries in China.

They are found in areas where Chinese people lived, including California.

InexorableTash

The necklace Marion uses for the Headpiece of the Staff of Ra, in Raiders, has what appears to be a "cash" coin as part of the chain. It's most visible when she is first taking the Headpiece out of her shirt. Screen grab, anyone?

WilliamBoyd8

This is the best screenprint I can get of the coin in "Raiders":

post_indianajones_raiders_cashcoin.jpg

The coin does look superficially like a Chinese Cash Coin, but it could be a washer,
or something used to fasten the necklace.

Thanks for spotting it.

WilliamBoyd8

While Young Indy was in Europe just after World War I, he may have met the young American
who carried this small coin collection around with him.

post_disneymuseum_valetcoins.jpg

Walt Disney's coin collection, now on display at the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.

This small museum has quite a display of Disney-related historical items, and is well worth
a visit by anyone interested in the early days of the Disney empire.

Cinemalens

Prop identification

Not coin related, and I hope I don't get in trouble for posting on such an old thread, but does any one know what the long pen-like object is on the DVD menu introduction screen, the one next to the journal? It intriques me, beacause if it is a pen I find the absence of an ink jar in the image strange, and I'm not aware if they had self-contained pens back then.

Allow me to link to the image below so you can see what I mean

http://www.brianrxm.com/posts/post_indianayoung_dvdintro.jpg

Archaeos

It is indeed an pencil, not a fountain pen, and it uses refillable or replaceable lead.

Young Indy's pencil is a period-correct hexagonal metal body pencil with classical or classicist barrel ornamentation, for looks as much as for better holding. During the first two decades of the 20th century, ornamentation was very expressive, and the more expensive the pen or pricey the marque was, the more exuberant the styling became.

The pencil has a round cap and does not feature a pendant ring to attach it to a chain or cord. Instead, it already features a clasp, which you can just about make out on the DVD intro image on the left, next to the compass.

Archaeologists preferred metal pencils for fieldwork, especially basic sketching and site mapping. The British Museum as well as the PEF and the Petrie (all in the UK) have a small collection of them in storage. (y)

They are not rare ? it's an everyday item ? and can be purchased at reasonable antiques prices today. There's a complete Astoria pencil/pen set on eBay right now, with gorgeous florentine ornamentation, which is similar to but a tad more fancy than Young Indy's pencil. It is offered for a rather ambitious price, though. But hey, someone may bite? :gun: :dead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTORIA-MO...KNIFE-PENCIL-SET-W-BOX-1910-20s-/371834089994

Best, Archaeos (back from the dead like this thread) :hat: :cool: