Do you still have vinyl?

Indyologist

Do any of you still have vinyl records? Which ones do you have? This should bring back some fond memories!

I still have quite a few, though I can't remember them all. I probably have about 20 somewhere around here...

Indyologist

Really?! That is so strange to know when people are buying mp3s and stuff. Although many people buy vinyl because they are collectors. What have you bought recently? Why do you buy vinyl?

Indyologist said:
Really?! That is so strange to know when people are buying mp3s and stuff. Although many people buy vinyl because they are collectors. What have you bought recently? Why do you buy vinyl?

I pirate Mp3s. Buying MP3s is like buying air.

Bought some Vangelis, Moody Blues and Talking Heads on vinyl just the other week.

Tennessee Smith

Yeah, lots. About ten years ago some of my older co-workers were talking about their vinyl colections and how they didn't listen to them since they switched to cds. I inquired about them and got close to 500 records for $50. I had already been collecting them for a while but when I got those collections i had become a junkie for the stuff. My only suggestion for anyone out there is to get a good record cleaning kit and a really good stylus (needle). The "needle" is what can make a good turn table great. Plus, CD's/mp3's can't hold a candle next to vinyl, as long as the original audio recording was done analog. There's a lot of bass lost in the translation.

Michael24

I've got plenty of vinyl. Many are my parents' that we've had since the '60s, '70s, and early-80s. Albums by The Beatles, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Willie Nelson, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. We still about half of our collection (we cleaned it out when we moved in 1998), and in the last five years or so, I've been buying some at used record stores around town. We hadn't played records since the late-80s, but I bought a brand new Sony LP player in 2003 for just $90 at Best Buy, and many of our records and 45s still sound great.

I have soundtracks to STAR WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, OUTLAND, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE GODFATHER, and a bunch more than we've had since they first came out. More recently I've picked up the scores for TEMPLE OF DOOM, RETURN OF THE JEDI, LETHAL WEAPON 1 & 2, BLUE THUNDER, BEVERLY HILLS COP 1 & 2, and a variety of others. (I'm still on a crusade of my own to find THE LAST CRUSADE on vinyl to complete my vinyl Indy collection. :) ) Also have an old 45 single of some theme by John Williams credited as "Johnny Williams." :D

I have the record player hooked up right next to the stereo in my room. Of course, majority of stuff I still buy on CD, but I like picking up older records just out of nostalgia because I grew up listening to them. :)

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=April1982BanthaTracksadforRaidersSt.jpg

April1982BanthaTracksadforRaidersSt.jpg

Here is one vinyl I fell in love with when I saw it on the back of Bantha Tracks waaaayy back in 1981...

Michael24

Interesting. So it's basically just the audio from the film?

Too bad they were never able to do Indiana Jones radio drama adaptations like the STAR WARS ones. I'd love to hear that! :D

adventure_al

Indyologist said:
This should bring back some fond memories!

Not necessarily. I too buy vinyl's more often than CD's. I collect them, mostly 7". But they are mostly of fairly modern bands. They have so much more appeal, I have alot of my favourite bands vinyls framed. The sleeves are so much better! I also have rare and signed vinyls. You'd be suprised, If you look many bands still release a fair amount of material on vinyl.

Lao Che Pun

Absolutely.

I still have some even framed on the walls of my guitar room.

A short list:

Aerosmith
KISS
Johnny Cash
Ted Nugent
Waylon Jennings

Gear

adventure_al

Everyone writes them off as out of date or before their time! Im only 20! vinyls are still readily available and theyre awesome! so much nicer than a little file on a pc.

Gear

So right Adventure_Al. Alot of people dont care about the touches of good music; like the album art, ect. and its something that annoyes me. I for one prefer to actualy own a true copy of an album. Burning CDs is all fine and dandy and I do it every so often (I understand that the price of store music is rediculous) but having a true print is nicer, especialy when someone takes the time to buy you one as a gift. Its like reading a book of the internet v.s. having a hard copy...

drjones

Boy, this is a good thread. Brings back memories for me for when I was younger. I remember my mom and dad's old record collection. They had a big collection. Sadly, they had to be given up in the late 90's. I had a small pile myself, mostly John Williams stuff, but I had to sell them, unfortunately. I remember the days when they had actual RECORD stores, like Record Bar and Turtle's. I miss those days. Those days were fun, holding an actual vinyl record in your hands. Maybe I'll get around to starting a collection back up one of these days soon, who knows.

Gear

Yeah, I love "record stores". Anymore they dont sell real records. But still its alot of fun to shop a music store. :cool:

metalinvader

gear guardian said:
Yeah, I love "record stores". Anymore they dont sell real records. But still its alot of fun to shop a music store. :cool:

You can still buy new vinyl at shops..Any independent music store should carry them.

No Ticket

From what I understand... most every big-label album that comes out has a vinyl counterpart, it's just harder to find and more collectible. I have some Weezer vinyls. Also a FOB one. You can find them on eBay if nothing else. I have a lot of older ones too... from the 80s. lol. Europe anyone? Bon Jovi! lol. ... yes, I even have Michael Jackson.

But that being said. I also have a crapload of CDs. I actually rarely download music for free. I usually buy the albums. That may seem odd, but I like to own a physical copy... i like seeing the artwork of the cd and case. And I like collecting them.