More Australian news.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Australian humour is not always known for subtlety. :p It's a long derivative - yank, tank, septic tank, seppo. With degrees of separation like that, many bizarre configurations are possible.

No doubt an offshoot from Cockney rhyming slang.

Mickiana said:
Australian humour is not always known for subtlety. :p It's a long derivative - yank, tank, septic tank, seppo. With degrees of separation like that, many bizarre configurations are possible.
Which is why Cockney Slang was never worth my time, unless you wanted to put the skitters in your Alan Whickers, you plonker.;)

Mickiana said:
ps Watch the Youtube clip (51min) called 'Why They Sank The Titanic". Pretty interesting theory.
It's on the queue...

Montana Smith

Montana Smith said:
Just had a butchers at your Sam Jones pinup. Made my minces hurt.

I figured it would compliment your sweaty Harry Ford pic...trying to make you feel comfortable with your choices.:)

Stoo

Mickiana said:
Jim nearly got the accent right. A bit more of a relaxed drawl would help. Orrlright, maate?
otto rahn said:
Fair suck of the sauce bottle "Mick". You can't expect Seppos to get our accent right !:p
Funny how this recent conversation about "seppos" all stems from a case of mistaken nationality. Jim Carrey is from Ontario and a full-blooded Canadian!:p

What would the Ozzie rhyming slang be for him now?:confused: "Dumpo"? (Canuck > truck > dump truck > dumpo)
goodeknight said:
If anyone recreates the Titanic, my hope would be that it's done right using the same materials and such -- so it's not a cheesy mockup made of plastic. Hence the earlier "too expensive" shutdown. It'll cost a lot to do it right. And they'd have to have "new safety features" noted in every brochure, website, photo gallery, or interview.
Apparently it's going to be very close to the original, except for a few things like more lifeboats, air conditioning, etc. and a helicopter landing pad!

As for the cost, the guy planning it is uber-rich. Here's a decent article from last week:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/26/titanic-2-launch-new-york-replica
The Guardian said:
Palmer founded Blue Star Line just to build the boat and he has ploughed part of his own fortune into it. ?I?ve got enough money to pay for it,? he said when asked if he needed to borrow to raise funds. ?Cost is not what it is all about.?

Mickiana

Stoo said:
Funny how this recent conversation about "seppos" all stems from a case of mistaken nationality. Jim Carrey is from Ontario and a full-blooded Canadian!:p

What would the Ozzie rhyming slang be for him now?:confused: "Dumpo"? (Canuck > truck > dump truck > dumpo)

Good distinction. I keep forgetting Jim is Canadian. But his nickname is now 'Dumpo'!