Ideas For New Indy Actor

Le Saboteur

Iaian Glen. You may not know the name, but he's been burning up the screen as Ser Jorah Mormont in HBO's Game of Thrones adaptation. We have the same problem -- he was born in '61 -- as other notable actors, but could be a strong contender for post-Harrison flicks before Dr. Jones gets booted back to pre-school.

Young Mr. Glen.

iain_glen_1.jpg

tumblr_m3klqj1Ap91r1pxrwo1_500.jpg

The current Mr. Glen.

1892470d-d4a7-4ab6-9c06-89cf62ff4b56.jpg

iain-glen.jpg

RKORadio

Both James Bond and Doctor Who proved that the franchises were more than just one man.

A new Indy without the baggage of four films, might reinvigorate the Indiana Jones series.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
Both James Bond and Doctor Who proved that the franchises were more than just one man.

A new Indy without the baggage of four films, might reinvigorate the Indiana Jones series.

I get that point but I just don't see another actor in the role. In my opinion Harrison made the character what it is. I always have thought it would have been a totally different film is Selleck had got the role. I probably would not be a fan. I didn't like SPF as Indy either. Who do you think could do it?

RKORadio

Someone young enough to be able to do action-adventure fight scenes but old enough to be taken seriously as a hero. Harrison was 39 when Raiders came out so we are looking for someone in their late 30s or early 40s.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
Someone young enough to be able to do action-adventure fight scenes but old enough to be taken seriously as a hero. Harrison was 39 when Raiders came out so we are looking for someone in their late 30s or early 40s.

You don't think it was Harrison's personality that made it work?

River phoenix would have been great at this time, but he died young. even Harrison said he was like him when he was young, Cant think of any other person.

RKORadio

Henry:

Well I don't want the franchise to be lumbered with a "Roger Moore" type - the Bond franchise became way too campy under his reign.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
Henry:

Well I don't want the franchise to be lumbered with a "Roger Moore" type - the Bond franchise became way too campy under his reign.

No suggestions? I think the 70's were more to blame than Moore himself.

Millions

I'd love them to get the guy who played Sawyer in Lost.

He has the looks, and mischievous charm. He has also proved he can take a good on-screen beating. And most importantly, he can play 'the good guy' with just that little hint of ruthless, mischievous cunning.

Now, all he needs to do is get a haircut and work on that awful accent...

Mickiana

The reason Indiana Jones could be played by someone else now is that there is a new generation of movie goers not familiar enough with the original IJ movies to have to need Harrison back again.

Indiana Jones is a character and Harry played him well and had the advantage of putting his stamp on the character. We were very close to having Tom Selleck as our beloved adventuring archaeologist and it would have worked in a slightly different way.

Our experience of having someone else play Indiana Jones is not going to be some insult to Harry's contributions, in fact it will be a damn good challenge to the next actor as Harry did fill the boots so well. But even there, Harry's performances are not so sacrosanct that someone else cannot put their particular stamp on the role.

I understand the Harry worship, but I can't agree with it. There were plenty of good choices for the role when they were first casting for Raiders and I bet there would be even more now.

As for suggesting someone for the role, I am not familiar enough with the current crop of actors. With Disney owning the rights now, who knows if anyone from Lucas, Spielberg to whomever would be involved in a next installment.

Millions

Túrin Turambar said:
The thing is Ford made Indy his, with his looks voice,charisma,personality,presence...You cant just change the actor, this is NOT Bond.:whip:

Okay.....

You have two choices :

1) Indy with a new actor ;
2) No more Indy ever.

Neither is ideal, but I know I want more Indy.

Mickiana said:
Indiana Jones is a character and Harry played him well ;

Our experience of having someone else play Indiana Jones is not going to be some insult to Harry's contributions ;

Harry did fill the boots so well ;

Harry's performances are not so sacrosanct ;

I understand the Harry worship.

Stop calling him Harry. It sounds ridiculous. You're not on some informal first name terms. You're a guy on a message board. Deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy's brother

Túrin Turambar said:
The thing is Ford made Indy his, with his looks voice,charisma,personality,presence...You cant just change the actor, this is NOT Bond.:whip:

The Bond argument frankly pisses me off. If actors and characters are so interchangeable, why not reboot the Die Hard franchise with another actor? Or The Rocky films? Some things are just sacred. Just because the idea of the character was sold to Spielberg by way of Bond, or because the Young Indy TELEVISION SHOW (that was nowhere near the quality of the films) featured another actor playing a DIFFERENT VERSION of the character, it's no reason to serously consider a reboot/recast. It smacks of desperation even more than guys like me that want an Indy 5 and 6 with Ford. No one can do the role justice like Mr. Ford. Period.

Last edited:
The Bond argument

is actually a very good one. When Lucas pitched the idea to Steven, he said he had an idea for his version of Bond - a treasure hunter serial-type series.

Henry W Jones

Millions said:
Stop calling him Harry. It sounds ridiculous. You're not on some informal first name terms. You're a guy on a message board. Deal with it.

Only 23 post and already talking smack. He gets called Harry a lot around here. Deal with it newbie.

punisher5150 said:
is actually a very good one. When Lucas pitched the idea to Steven, he said he had an idea for his version of Bond - a treasure hunter serial-type series.

I think he meant the action character angle, not the recastability. Harry made the films in my opinion and putting another actors in every role and constant reboots are a big reason why Hollywood is becoming a very uncreative place. Reboots are to make money not art. James Bond movies as of lately have been pretty good films but I find myself more and more uninterested in the series as the years go. I think they should wind down the Bond series as well.

Last edited: