The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Demitasse

TalonCard said:
Is it just wishful thinking on my part, or does one of the people at the table look like he could be an older Mutt?

TC

Don't know about that, but "Spike" has got to be Mutt's son!! ;)

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
You know I'm gonna have to ask: why Princeton? And while we're on the topic, I'd love to know your theories on who the people around the table are.
Hello again, 2323.:hat: The reason I chose Princeton is because it's NOT Indy's house and it seemed like a fitting way to end the Old Indy Chronicles. That is; making things come full circle in the place where he was born (even though "Peking" wasn't the last episode with bookends).

Will get to the theories about the family members later. That's a big subject!:eek:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Another great gift to all Indy fans...

Curious to know what you want to, (and can/cannot) edit...like subtitles ect.

Maybe you would be interested in giving a copy away on the Indy Cast? Hmm? Maybe?
Thanks, Rocket Babe.:) The top priority fixes are:

1) "Verdun": Remove the brief AVS Video Converter watermarks. (At that time, unregistered software was used to convert my corrupted DVD.)
2) "Austria": Add the missing 10-15 seconds to the opening bookend (when my TV reception blitzed out). I now have the missing bit.
3) "Florence": Remove the subtitles by combining the English audio from fommes' Flemish broadcast with the video from the French broadcast (though the video quality may suffer).
4) "Transylvania": Remove the brief bits of subtitles. This will take some masterful trickery due to more corrupted DVD files!
5) "Scandal of 1920": Same as Transylvania with the bits of subtitles. PLUS, I want to somehow include the ALTERNATE shots of the Chrysler building shown in the 2-part version of "Scandal" (courtesy of fommes). Providing BOTH versions is probably the path to take.

Doing all this should make the most complete, ultimate package of Old Indy footage. As for giving a DVD copy away for the IndyCast? Perhaps. The idea has always been floating around in the back of my mind.;)
TalonCard said:
Thanks again for doing this Stoo; my siblings and I have been following your uploads for years, and it's nice to see the last of them. Is it just wishful thinking on my part, or does one of the people at the table look like he could be an older Mutt?
Glad you and your siblings appreciate it, TalonCard.:) Yes, one of the men can (retroactively) make a good contender for Mutt! More on that later!:) (I want to make a map of every seat at the table and include photos of each person.)
Demitasse said:
Don't know about that, but "Spike" has got to be Mutt's son!!;)
Demitasse, my friend, it would seem likely but trying to make the Spike/Mutt relation is a conundrum. The theory has been tossed about a lot in the past. Spike doesn't appear to be at the Thanksgiving dinner so I'll dig up some older threads to discuss this, if you wish.;) (The problem is there are too many threads about it!)

AnnieJones

I noticed since you put up the Part 15 video Stoo, Indy Wiki updated their Harry Jones page by adding his picture to it. Did you Stoo, or someone else from The Raven update it?

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
I noticed since you put up the Part 15 video Stoo, Indy Wiki updated their Harry Jones page by adding his picture to it. Did you Stoo, or someone else from The Raven update it?
One of the site administrators named, Vetinari, updated it. Don't know if this person posts at The Raven under another name but he/she definitely visits here. Several times, obscure info about Old Indy has been added to the IJ Wiki *after* I posted it in this thread.

Funny you mention this, Annie, because, when uploading the Thanksgiving bookends, I knew it was only a matter of time before a photo of young Harry would appear on the Indy Wiki website!:gun:

@Vetinari: You're welcome.:p

Stoo

foreverwingnut said:
I was truly bothered by the old Indiana Jones who narrated the events in the original Chronicles. Here we saw Indy as a feeble has-been with only one eye, left with nothing in life but stories of a bygone age. The actor's appearance, stature, and voice was far-removed from Harrison Ford and it was painful for me to see Indy reduced in such a polarizing way. Now that we've seen just how great Harrison Ford looks in his golden years- trim, buff, and still dashing- it further removes Indy from the senior persona we were shown in the original Chronicles. I'm all for the later DVD sets that show the episodes in chronological order because they omitted the feeble, old Indy. But, on a note unrelated to the old Indy: chronological order doesn't seem important when the youngest Indy is concerned. His boyhood travels with his parents and tutor were seperate adventures without a strong thread to tie them altogether. The teen Indy, however, had set off on adventures that would hurl him into The Great War, where chronological order is a must for the sake of historical reference. I learned so much about WWI from that series that I was able to hold my own in lengthy debates about politics and campaigns of the war with a history teacher. I loved the Young Indy Adventures and can't wait to have the series for my very own.
Believe it or not, I was also one of those who didn't care much for the Old Indy segments when the show first aired. Not because he was old & feeble but because a large number of them (with a few exceptions) were rather silly. It was only until the VHS tapes were released in 1999 that I began to really appreciate the Old Indy bookends because they had been omitted, thus, making them RARE and worth preserving.

When I joined The Raven in early 2005, it was shocking to discover how many "Indy fans" had ZERO interest in the TV series. However, the build-up to Indy 4 & the upcoming release of the Young Indy DVDs changed that. It was then, that I decided to start this thread and share my Old Indy recordings.

While I agree that the voice/accent doesn't fit at all, the physical resemblence is quite close. Awhile back, I superimposed Old Harrison's face on top of the face of George Hall in Indy make-up and it's a pretty good match. Personally, I LOVE the eyepatch because it shows that Indy had a DRAMATIC adventure that we don't know about. The Old Indy segments also include several clues regarding other facets of his life. Tales that have yet to be told but only alluded to in the bookends.

Plus, the Old Indy bookends offer further information regarding the events & people involved...What happens AFTER, etc. (This info becomes LOST when viewing the VHS/DVD re-edits.)
Junior Jones said:
There's still a good 35 years between Crystal Skull and Old Indy. How many ninety-year-olds do you know that are still "trim, buff, and...dashing"? My father-in-law is ninety and still looks pretty good, but can hardly stand up straight due to back problems. I think Old Indy is in great shape considering all the wear and tear he's put himself through.
Exactly, Junior Jones.:) The guy may be 93+ but he still has a lot of spark.

"If you'll apologize to the nice lady, right now, I'll reconsider turning your head into a sausage pizza!":whip:

Stoo

The "Mimi" Connection

Mimi is the biker chick in the "Florence" bookends and I recently discovered the reasoning of her name. It's not a random choice because the main, female character/love interest in Puccini's, "La Bohème", is...Mimi! (She's the one in the opera at the beginning of the episode...which also features the famous finale where her lover cries out her name in pain when she dies.:dead:)

It's a subtle homage which can be added to the to the list of things that disappeared with the repackaged, "Adventures of Young Indiana Jones".:(

Old Indy: "Your shot, Mimi.":gun:
The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 14

StooTV_14_Medium.jpg

Stoo

Thanks, Foams.:) I would have never discovered the connection without researching "La Bohème" for the Soundtracks thread.

---
For some unknown reason, the "Old Indy Chronicles" have been getting a lot of YouTube comments over this past month or two. Not sure why but the bumbling coot's popularity is growing!

micsteam

Stoo, don't worry about all the naysayers and such, your passion for Young Indy and the original episodes as broadcast is greatly appreciated by myself and I think quite a few other members here at the Raven and maybe even COW, although I never discussed Young Indy much there. My opinion, I agree with you and some other members that old Indy wasn't portrayed as well as we all would have liked but overall, now that these segments have been omitted (this is one of my biggest problems with Lucas that he goes back and futs' with his earlier work... screws up continuity and ###### on the people's/artist's work that took to make it then which was excellent to begin with !!!), the whole production was a class act at a time when no one was doing anything like this. I really appreciate what Lucas and Co. was trying to do which was to make an entertaining piece for TV and be educational at the same time !!! Just lijke the original Star Wars, I wish Lucas would realease the original series with the bookends. Keep up the good work.

Tibor

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... I can't tell you how much I appreciate the "Old Indy Chronicles". I was so disappointed that they took George Hall out. I have more than once trundled through all of them on StooTV and they bring so much more humor and/or poignancy to the episodes. I don't know if you ever burn DVDs of them, but I'd love to support the effort and get a copy if you do.

Regardless, my thanks for keeping them going, Stoo. All the best!

:hat:

Thank you, Stoo, for doing so much work to make the Old Indy Chronicles available for us to see again and enjoy.

I recently purchased the DVDs, and while I knew that they'd edited Old Indy out, I still wanted to share the bookends with my wife, who is enjoying watching the DVDs for the first time with me. I look forward to sharing the Old Indy parts with her as well.

THANK YOU for your work. Nothing like this happens effortlessly. You did a really good thing.

Stoo

You are very welcome, Zeitgeist! (Great screen name, by the way). I am honoured that your 1st & only post (so far) was coming to this thread and extending your gratitude.:hat: Hope your wife gets a kick out of cranky Old Indy.

To Tibor and micsteam: Sorry for the late reply but thanks so much for your kind words. I'm not a member of Club Obi-Wan, however, it's nice to know that those guys appreciate the videos, as well. The number of subscribers to my YouTube channel keeps rising every month (at present there are 382) so it makes me happy that people are still finding them. The coolest thing about uploading the bookends was hearing from people who were actually in them but that hasn't happened in quite awhile.

In 2011, one of my videos was removed by Paramount for copyright violation.:eek: Since my YouTube channel is exclusively dedicated to Indiana Jones, it would seem likely that Paramount might have checked out the other uploads. If that happened, then kudos to Paramount for allowing The Old Indy Chronicles to remain.

---
As for an Old Indy DVD, I made one for myself in 2003 but the menu is very basic and I'd like to make something special to share with fans. I've burned hundreds of DVDs before but never authored one with cool menus nor printed an image on the surface of a disc. If someone would be willing to help in those areas, let me know, and we can collaborate to make something super slick! (I can handle the artwork/graphics for the case.)

Plus, I've received upgrades of certain episodes that have better image quality than my recordings so I'd like to use those (if it's O.K. with the people who gave them to me) for an eventual DVD.

The thing is, I don't know if the bookends should be put together as a kind of 1 hour mini-movie? Separate them by location as they are on YouTube? Remove my modified opening & title cards and leave them as they were originally aired?:confused:

I'm open to suggestions so if anyone has any, don't be shy!:D

Stoo

Hallowe'en Bookends

Between handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters tonight, the mood struck me to watch the Transylvania bookends again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2pBOWzeYsA

This reminded me that I'm still looking for a English broadcast with no foreign subtitles. Anyone reading this who has a UK or Australian recording, please give a shout.:)

(I also noticed a glaring screw-up with my upload. One of the audio channels for the opening bookend is missing so the sound only comes out of one speaker!:mad: Don't know how that happened.:eek:)

The Reaper

Stoo said:
Hey, Jeremiah. Yeah, you're pretty much right. The chapter itself has been ready since before X-mas but I've been fiddling
with the opening credits and closing bumper to provide something special for Season 2. If it's not up within the next few days
then expect another delay (going to Scotland!:D) and look for it towards end of the 1st week of Feb.

One cool thing I noticed while putting Part 7 together is an on-screen reference to my favourite band, The Who!(y)

Found this. Artist unknown:

2495718160_e6e7a9dd7c.jpg

Nice! So cool, thanks for this and thanks for the videos. As someone who never watched the show when it came out and just finished the whole series on DVD, it's nice to see the bookend segments.

Stoo

The Reaper said:
Nice! So cool, thanks for this and thanks for the videos. As someone who never watched the show when it came out and just finished the whole series on DVD, it's nice to see the bookend segments.
You're welcome, Reaper, and I'm glad that you enjoyed seeing them. Some are essential to get the complete story. Any particular ones you liked the most?

If you think that image is nice, here's a MUCH better one:

MasterpieceCard_01_zps3385d232.jpg

P.S. micsteam: Happy Belated Hallowe'en to you, too!:)