Attack of the Hawkmen

Stoo

phantom train said:
I've seen Blue Max. Decent film, but it was made back in the 1960's or 1970's (I think), so the aerial dog fights weren't extremely impressive to me. Conversely, the flying/dogfight effects in Flyboys (released in 2007) were incredible.

That being said, Blue Max did have a better story.
"The Blue Max" came out in 1966. Did you see the widescreen version, Phantom Train? It must be seen that way for full appreciation. (The pan & scan versions from TV & VHS don't do it justice.)

Duaner said:
I have an obsession with the WWI era so I have watched many WWI films. I enjoyed Flyboys, but it still had too many flaws to ever be called "superior."
Hello again, Duaner.:) I agree with you about "Flyboys". In case you haven't seen them, may I recommend these other WW1 aviation flicks:

"Von Richtofen and Brown" (1971)
"Aces High" (1976)
"The Red Baron" (2007)

"Aces High" has the distinction of being a true companion film to "Hawkmen". Why? Because Young Indy borrowed footage & story elements from it (which I detailed many moons ago):

http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=445180&postcount=19

Crack that whip said:
But I love it now. Given how much Indy traditionally travels by air, it's notable how much of the best aerial Indy action is in this TV production, but there you go. And yeah, the parting of Indy and Remy is a little emotional, even knowing they'll be reunited soon.
Yeah, Cracky-baby! :D "Hawkmen" rocks on so many levels!(y)

InVader

I personally hold this one to be the best of the entire series. I remember the music queues, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, and racking my brain trying to place them for their familiarity.

I also thought there was a great Protagonist/Antagonist Chemistry between the Baron and Indy. I remember watching the rest of the series hoping that their paths would cross again at a later time. In my opinion he was the Belloq of the chronicles.

michael

Recently watched this episode, and it secretly has a bit of the Raiders March in a scene!

9:59-10:01

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q8YLpt-ed1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indyfan82

Thanks for identifying where to find the "Raiders March" in this episode. I'll have to go back and watch it to look for it. I love all of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, but I agree that "Attack of the Hawkmen" is a particularly well done, exciting episode. (Especially as a fan of Peanuts comics and all of Snoopy's escapades fighting against the Red Baron- it's really fun to see an actual historical portrayal of him fighting against Indy!):) :cool:

Stoo

Skylover SC said:
Two days ago Pablo Hidalgo said on Twitter that Ben Burtt worked on a new edit of Attack of the Hawkmen this year.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/790672725933109248
VERY COOL news, Skylover, though I doubt we'll get to see it anytime soon, if ever. :( Someone asked him about "the odds" but he hasn't answered.
InexorableTash said:
Looks like Hidalgo is on a YIJ roll the last few days on the Twitters.
It also looks like he's only now finding out about the longer Canadian broadcast versions. I discovered those differences c.20 years ago when transferring my VHS tapes to DVD and it makes me feel like starting a Twitter account just to talk to him. He needs some Young Indy education. :)
michael said:
Recently watched this episode, and it secretly has a bit of the Raiders March in a scene!
Nice find, micheal. Good ear! :hat:

Stoo

Ahlhorn Explosion!

Stumbling upon some information about the airship base at Ahlhorn reveals that it really did suffer a massive explosion during WW1 and was almost completely destroyed. I thought this was a fictional event in the show but, once again, it has basis in reality:

"On 5 January 1918 an accident happened: due to a fire a hydrogen-filled airship (LZ-87, Marine L47) exploded, reducing it and the surrounding area to rubble within 40 seconds. The blast was so enormous fragments fell as far as Wildeshausen, and the resulting pressure wave was said to have been felt in Bremen, 40 kilometers (about 25 miles) away. When it was all over the hydrogen plant and hangars III (Alrun) and IV (Alix) were fully destroyed, hangars I (Aladin) and II (Albrecht) were severely damaged, while hangars 5 and 6 had received minor damage. Altogether the Marine had lost airships L46, L47, L51, L58 and SL20 and suffered 15 killed, 30 severely wounded and 104 lightly wounded. In order to get operational again hangars 5 and 6 were rushed back into service, allowing operations to resume in April. The event appeared to be an accident, but sabotage was never fully dismissed."

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/germany/lower-saxony/oldenburg/ahlhorn-s355.html

Ahlhorn_Explosion_small_zpsdbjf50gf.jpg

michael

Attack of the Hawkmen has a few of my favorite Young Indy moments.

? Remy's grateful farewell (for the time being...) to Indy.

"I dont want to say goodbye, but I will say thank you."

It's nice to finally see an earnest, heartfelt moment between the two.

? When Charles Nungesser first arrives and wants to take a photo with the unit. The beautiful score that plays when the picture is taken and shown. Just a small memento for the fans in a show rich of historical moments. It makes you want photos of all his adventures.

? The ingenious way Indy suggested to the Red Baron to paint his 'albatross' red during lunch.

Fantastic episode.