Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 2

Jono11

Stoo said:
The only criticism I have is the size format and don't understand why they are smaller. Is this a standard "graphic novel" size or a production cost issue? :confused:
It makes them cheaper.

Stoo said:
Great description, Banana!:D Keep or sell is a tough choice but I like originals for their nostalgic value (ads/letters pages) so I'll never get rid of my Indys. Some of my favourite "Further Adventures" are starting to look a little worn which make the Omnibus reprints very welcome, indeed. The paper stock is much heavier than the newsprint pages of the oldies and, obviously, much easier to thumb through. The colours are splendid and the whites are white.

The only criticism I have is the size format and don't understand why they are smaller. Is this a standard "graphic novel" size or a production cost issue? :confused:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the smaller size. Some of my favorite comics were ones I read after they were reprinted in the even smaller mass paperback form! Those were the Lee-Ditko Spider-Man books and Giant-Size X-Men #1--the latter in black and white. The fact that the Indy books are a bit smaller makes little difference to me. Besides, that's the only way to get 'em now.

phantom train

Stoo said:
By 'three", yodazone meant the 2 Dark Horse volumes and the 1st Marvel. Volumes 2 & 3 of Marvel's "Further Advenutres" are not out yet.

Great description, Banana!:D Keep or sell is a tough choice but I like originals for their nostalgic value (ads/letters pages) so I'll never get rid of my Indys. Some of my favourite "Further Adventures" are starting to look a little worn which make the Omnibus reprints very welcome, indeed. The paper stock is much heavier than the newsprint pages of the oldies and, obviously, much easier to thumb through. The colours are splendid and the whites are white.

As someone else mentioned, this is almost certainly a production cost issue - in "The Further Adventures of IJ Volume 1", we are getting 15 issues of the comic (12 issues of the regular series, plus the ROTLA adaptation) for about $25. If these were printed in the regular comic size, I'm sure the volume would be probably $30-$35. It's possible it would not be worth DH's while to reprint these if they had to charge that higher price, since it's possible (probable?) that less people would purchase the volume if it were more expensive.
Personally, I would rather pay the lower price :)

To add: Initially, I also was concerned about the smaller size of the comics and felt that it would detract from my enjoyment of the issues. However, after buying and reading the "Further Adventures of IJ" volume 1 earlier this year, I have to say that the smaller size is fine, and I even prefer this - none of the arwork detail is lost, the covers are all included, and, if the volume were bigger, it would be harder to hold while reading.

doesitmatter

I had NO idea these were out! I must have assumed it was the Dark Horse Vol. 1 resolicited with a new cover and walked right by it.

I'll have to pick these up.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Now I just need to wait for the Amazon "pre-order" buttons for this and the new novel to come down...

Goonie

Excellent!! (y) Now, any word on a release date for Further Adventures Volume 3? Or plans to release a Young Indy Omnibus?

phantom train

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone happened to pick up Volume 2 of "The Further Adventures" (I haven't yet, but plan to soon) - this just came out yesterday.
If memory serves, this Volume is supposed to reprint issues #13-24 of the "Furthur Adventures", as well as the film adaptation for TOD.

Anyway, if anyone has seen this, can you post whether or not all of the covers to the issues are included? I was just curious about this - Volume 1 had all of the covers, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, I just got my copy today and may I say I am still enjoying these Marvels! They just have the right spirit in them that the Dark Horse comics didn't really have (with the exception of FoA, the Adventures Vol 1 digest).

I've been waiting for a long time to read "Search for Abner", so if you can excuse me for a couple of hours.... :p

phantom train

Just finished "Volume 2" of "The Futhur Adventures of IJ" - here's my review (No spoilers):

- First of all, the color reproduction and re-printing is superb, just as it was in the last volume. These reprints are far superior to the original comics.

- I haven't read these issues for years, if ever. So, it was very nostalgic to go back and visit (or re-visit) these stories.

- I was pleased to see that all of the covers were included. Though they were all also included in the last Volume, this is the exception (and not the rule) with the DH Omnibuses.

- All of the stories were great, though the artwork varied from just average to excellent. Stand-out issues from "The Furthur Adventures" included the muti-part story in the late teens/early 20's issues - especially memorable was #21, with excellent artwork by the great Steve Ditko (This brought back memories of when I first read re-prints of the original "Amazing Spider-Man" issues (with early Ditko art) back in the early '80's).

Also exceptional was #24. Great stand-alone story, with an excellent cover by the incomparable 1980's Marvel cover artist M. Golden.

- The "Temple of Doom" 3-part adaptation was great. Excellent covers, especially #1 with Indiana Jones w/tux in the foreground.

And, though this adaptation was obviously not as good as the film itself, it was superior to the art in the "Raiders" adaptation (in Volume 1 of "The Furthur Adventures"), and also gave some insight on some of the scenes that had been cut (or in the script and never filmed) from the movie.

Here's looking forward to Volume 3 next March.

indyclone25

just picked up my copy today!!!! great color and the stories are just as remembered them , can't wait for the third volume in the spring.

indyt

Please forgive me, I have never bought any of these books. Are these found at local book stores or just comic stores? Thanks guys.

metalinvader

indyt said:
Please forgive me, I have never bought any of these books. Are these found at local book stores or just comic stores? Thanks guys.

Both Barnes and Noble and Borders SHOULD have them.At least the ones in my area do.

Agent Crab

I saw the first volume at one of my bookstores the other day, as well for the second one. I may consider in picking them up. If I didn't want All Hail Megatron Volume 2, though. Looks like it'll be added on my Christmas list of this year!