Anyone else hate the film versions?

Raiders90

I am not too big of a fan of Old Indy, but at the same time, I feel that the film versions sort of butcher the series. I am not talking about the segues, but I feel like having two stories in one really helps to undermine the impact of each, and that in many cases, the two stories don't really fit together. Am I alone in this? I feel honestly like editing the series was worse on Lucas' part than the editing done to the Star Wars OT.

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
I am not too big of a fan of Old Indy, but at the same time, I feel that the film versions sort of butcher the series. I am not talking about the segues, but I feel like having two stories in one really helps to undermine the impact of each, and that in many cases, the two stories don't really fit together. Am I alone in this? I feel honestly like editing the series was worse on Lucas' part than the editing done to the Star Wars OT.
I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on this one. Let me tell you why. Most of the time in the YIJC, the "film" is supposed to be viewed as two separate stories which are only tangentially related to each other, usually with somewhat unifying themes (for example, Masks of Evil presents two very different settings-those of Istanbul and Romania-and connects them each by the feeling of underlying dread derived from the two). Other times, they work as a full episode, like Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life, which highlights Indy's increasing disillusionment with his struggles for "freedom" in Africa, the colonial mentality, and the lack of morality he encounters in the seemingly unstoppable military bureaucracy he encounters throughout the tale, or like Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, which offers an intro to Indy's adventuring days as well as an introspective on who he is and who he became during this time.
I think, in all honesty, that the films highlight the separate stories quite wonderfully, and that Lucas actually did a pretty good job editing them. As for the Old Indy segments, the less said about most of them, the better (y).