Sherlock Holmes - RDJ

Montana Smith

Finn said:
holmes.jpg

Looks like some kind of Mauser variant to me. And while one might be willing to chow a plateful of anachronism stew with that one, what the hell is the thing Watson is holding. Please don't tell me it's a Sten gun.

Definitely does look like a Mauser. And Watson does look like he's got a submachine gun!

That's what I meant about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. This version of Sherlock Holmes is taking as much liberty with history as Indy did.

Stoo

Finn said:
Looks like some kind of Mauser variant to me. And while one might be willing to chow a plateful of anachronism stew with that one, what the hell is the thing Watson is holding. Please don't tell me it's a Sten gun.
Watson's gun is exactly what I was referring to! A Sten is the first thing that came to mind. The clip is brief but it *looks like* a magazine can be seen sticking out of the barrel.

Holmes' gun looks like a modified Mauser. (I hope this film doesn't go the route of "Extraordinary League of Gentlemen" but am not holding my breath.)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Watson's gun is exactly what I was referring to! A Sten is the first thing that came to mind. The clip is brief but it *looks like* a magazine can be seen sticking out of the barrel.

I can see magazine, too.

Stoo said:
Holmes' gun looks like a modified Mauser. (I hope this film doesn't go the route of "Extraordinary League of Gentlemen" but am not holding my breath.)

The bolt is drawn back ready for firing, but there also looks like there's something more on the top of the gun than just a folding sight.

That picture is more Bodie and Doyle than Conan Doyle!

pro_run_colour.jpg

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
I didn't think yesterday to look at the Internet Movie Firearms Database.

You can clearly see Holmes' sidearm in the newly released character poster. Isn't airbrushing fabulous?!

He's also seen using what appears to be a Colt revolver in the alternate poster.

sherlock-holmes-2-poster1.jpg

Watson's machine gun could quite possibly be an early cousin of the Bren. They do have the same unique upwards facing banana clip. It's not exactly a clear image, but do see below.

sherlock-holmes-2-poster2.jpg

And I'm sure our own dear Professor has this one on his wall already.

Sherlock-Holmes-A-Game-of-Shadows-Character-Poster-2-1.jpg

For an amusing look at how many different service revolvers Watson had in the non-canonical works, see here.

AndyLGR

Montana I'm surprised you havent given the first movie a go, its not like League of Extraordinary Genteman at all. You may be surprised by it.

It has a few typical Guy Ritchie touches which we've seen in films like Snatch etc, but I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I thought that the 2 central characters chemistry was good as well as the Victorian setting.

Its well worth a watch and is on Sky regularly.

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
You can clearly see Holmes' sidearm in the newly released character poster. Isn't airbrushing fabulous?!

Now that's a cool a picture. And the C96 is unmistakable.

Le Saboteur said:
Watson's machine gun could quite possibly be an early cousin of the Bren. They do have the same unique upwards facing banana clip. It's not exactly a clear image, but do see below.

I hadn't noticed the magazine on the top, I thought I could see one on the side - hence the Sten that Finn and Stewie mentioned. Seems like this film is well into the realms of fantasy.

AndyLGR said:
Montana I'm surprised you havent given the first movie a go, its not like League of Extraordinary Genteman at all. You may be surprised by it.

It has a few typical Guy Ritchie touches which we've seen in films like Snatch etc, but I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I thought that the 2 central characters chemistry was good as well as the Victorian setting.

Its well worth a watch and is on Sky regularly.

Because it appeared to be an action comedy using the name of Sherlock Holmes I gave it miss. Next time I see the DVD I'll pick it up this time!

AndyLGR

Montana Smith said:
Because it appeared to be an action comedy using the name of Sherlock Holmes I gave it miss. Next time I see the DVD I'll pick it up this time!
There are some touches of light humour here and there, but it's quirky stuff between holmes and watsons relationship.

Joe Brody

Given the bad reviews, it exceeded expectations. It'll be interesting to see how it fairs against MI4 with its positive reviews.

roundshort

This movie was a MAJOR let down. I was a big fan of the first, but yuck. Non of the charm as the last one, and they didn't really even try to stick with old stories/books/novels.

Way too mcuh slow action special effects, cgi, etc. Shoudl have seen MI4.

Thanks
KK

AndyLGR

I enjoyed this one as much as the first. The interplay between the 2 leads is the core of it for me. Moriarty was well played and sinister. The end scene I found to be gripping as they tried to identify the would be killer whilst Holmes and moriarty played off outside.

I didnt think that the cgi was any less or more intrusive than the first film. There is a scene in a forest with lots of slow motion effects as explosions and gunshots are going off, but I dudnt think it was too bad.

I liked the fact they opened up the scope a bit too.

The addition of Stephen fry as mycroft holmes was an inspired choice too.

Roll on number 3 for me.

Last edited:

adventure_al

I enjoyed the first one. Second film was crap. Kept looking at my watch to see when it would be over, didn't old my interest. I was quite disapointed.

Forbidden Eye

AndyLGR said:
I enjoyed this one as much as the first. The interplay between the 2 leads is the core of it for me. Moriarty was well played and sinister. The end scene I found to be gripping as they tried to identify the would be killer whilst Holmes and moriarty played off outside.

I didnt think that the cgi was any less or more intrusive than the first film. There is a scene in a forest with lots of slow motion effects as explosions and gunshots are going off, but I dudnt think it was too bad.

I liked the fact they opened up the scope a bit too.

The addition of Stephen fry as mycroft holmes was an inspired choice too.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Not sure what they'd do for a third one though, as this ends pretty much the same way the last Holmes story does.

Captain Craig

I really liked the film. I thought the first act felt a bit forced with some of the Holmes/Watson dialouge but as we moved onto the second act and once we were off the train I felt the movie found it's footing.
I hope that since we never saw the alleged death that perhaps a certain character may yet emerge in another installment. With a fancy explanation as to why.
Jared Harris was fantastic as Moriarity imo. Their balcony chess match was an enjoyable scene that played ***-for-tat quite well imo.

It looks like it will fall short of $200m US domestic, but just barely. It's worldwide will still get it over $500m though so a sequel should not be in doubt based on the rumored production budget of $125m.

Le Saboteur

Captain Craig said:
...it will fall short of $200m US domestic, but just barely. It's worldwide will still get it over $500m though so a sequel should not be in doubt based on the rumored production budget of $125m.

For fans desperately seeking a sequel, the economics of film and Hollywood at large are important; otherwise, why does everybody else feel the need to spout off numbers that mean absolutely nothing to anybody outside of the principal backers, the studio, and the producers?

keep_calm_and_text_sherlock_by_second_lover-d2y0gq7_large.jpg

For fans of the Great Detective across the pond, Series 2 has come to a conclusion. Not to worry though! According to the show runners, Holmes & Watson will return for a Series Three! It's only a matter of when their much in demand stars can be ripped away from Middle Earth.

Steven Moffat wrote on Twitter:
Moffat said:
"Of course there's going to be a third series - it was commissioned at the same time as the second. Gotcha!"

In other news, CBS continues the trend of importing and remaking hit British shows for an American audience. Elementary updates Conan Doyle's stories to modern day New York City featuring the recently cast Johnny Lee Miller in the role of Holmes. You may remember him from Trainspotting and the first Mr. Angeline Jolie.

While nothing else has been mentioned regarding the show, this isn't the first time Holmes has been transplanted to the shores of the New World. No, he graced the city of San Francisco in a show called... Elementary in the early nineties.

We'll have to wait and see just who has the better teevee show. In the meantime, get your fix on Series 1 & 2 over at Sherlockology!

AndyLGR

I read today that Lucy Liu has been cast as Joan Watson in the new US version of Sherlock. So not only are they updating it to the modern day but also casting Watson as a woman.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Oh for Pete's sake man! What the hell have you been doing for the past two years? Ditch that Star Wars crap and go get it already!:rolleyes:

Smiffy said:
It didn't look good enough to pick up. Looked as though it was Holmes and Watson written for a Jean-Claude van Damme/Steven Segal team-up.

The new one looks like it might be Robert Downey Jr. playing Iron-Clad Man!

I saw it recently for a quid, but didn't bother. I was thinking about it for as long as it took another muppet to buy it.

I passed on the DVD for a quid, but a week ago I picked up a bunch of Blu rays for £2 each. Sherlock Holmes was one of them.

Strangely enough, another of them was the 10th Anniversary Edition of Fight Club. Strangely, because I watched about half an hour of Sherlock Holmes last night, and there was Downey Jr. doing a Victorian fight club.

I wasn't far wrong when I said it looked like a Jean-Claude van Damme/Steven Segal team-up. Though Downey is more Bruce Lee with his baton twirling and systematic degradation of his opponent's ability to resist.

It looks like Sherlock tackled from Ritchie's Lock, Stock angle. That's not a bad thing, just different.

Montana Smith

I picked up the DVD of A Game of Shadows for a quid this morning.

I'll advance it to the top of the disc mountain because I'm eager to see Noomi Rapace in action with Bodie and Doyle.