What is your single LEAST favourite scene from the trilogy?

deckard24

Billy Ray said:
I realize this isn't exactly a scene (though it applies to pretty much every scene he is in), but my least favorite part of the trilogy is the transformation of Marcus Brody into a bumbling bufoon in TLC. In Raiders he comes across as almost a mentor to Indy, claiming that if he were younger he owuld go after the Ark. There is a sense that in his youger days he was much the same sort of adventurer as Indy. In TLC he is downgraded to comic relief.

Billy Ray, I agree completely! This is exactly why I take issue with LC! Waaayyy too much slapstick! It really seems like Spielberg (feeling guilty for ToD) deliberately made LC lighter to make up for it.

Resident Alien, I see what you are saying, and where the young Young Indy segments are concerned I could divorce myself as well from the lineage. But... as soon as Sean Patrick Flannery took over, my interest in the series dissipated. There was nothing about SPF's young Indy that convinced me in a few short years he would become HF's Indy. That for me was too big a pill to be asked to swallow. I can suspend my disbelief only so far.

QBComics

deckard24 said:
Billy Ray, I agree completely! This is exactly why I take issue with LC! Waaayyy too much slapstick! It really seems like Spielberg (feeling guilty for ToD) deliberately made LC lighter to make up for it.

Resident Alien, I see what you are saying, and where the young Young Indy segments are concerned I could divorce myself as well from the lineage. But... as soon as Sean Patrick Flannery took over, my interest in the series dissipated. There was nothing about SPF's young Indy that convinced me in a few short years he would become HF's Indy. That for me was too big a pill to be asked to swallow. I can suspend my disbelief only so far.

I agree with both of you as well.

Sankara

I guess Spielberg and Lucas would agree with me that the worst Indy-Scene is the "boat-out-off-plane-jump" in "Temple". This is a little bit to much. It's over the top-action. Indy in action means REAL stunts like in "Raiders" and "Crusade".

I'm very happy that they do real stunts in "Indy IV" too.

But don't get me wrong. As you all know I love ALL Indiana Jones-Movies like no other.

oki9Sedo

Sankara said:
I guess Spielberg and Lucas would agree with me that the worst Indy-Scene is the "boat-out-off-plane-jump" in "Temple". This is a little bit to much. It's over the top-action.

Do Lucas and Spielberg dislike that scene? I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

oki9Sedo

No Ticket said:
I agree, why would there be tension when Indy has no reason to doubt what he is saying... it has to be a complete surprise to both Indy and the audience. I did like the dialogue between the two. Indy if anything, is bored with his discussion in the first place... he doesn't really have interest in this, until he finds out about his father.

This scene never really bothered me. I think it's only more boring now if you've seen it quite a number of times. "You've got the wrong Jones..." "Try my father."

"We already have. Your father's the one who's gone missing."

Something along those lines.

I never had a problem with that scene......its a good, well directed, well performed, well scripted exposition scene with nothing particularly special in it.

Attila the Professor said:
Even the line that is called back to, about not trusting anyone, really doesn't telegraph anything at the time.

I know, its remarkable how that line didn't telegraph his villainy and a credit to Spielberg's direction and Glover's performance. Its an unwritten rule that whenever that line is said that means they're the villain.

Lab Rat

I guess mine is how the river below the bridge in TOD alternates between a rocky stream to a full river filled with alligators in different shots.

Zorg

Bjorn Heimdall said:
I think for me it's the transformation of Indy after drinking the blood in ToD. Even with rich supernatural elements in all movies the whole "drinking blood and becoming bad" thing just never clicked with me.

Same here. During that scene the film just stops for a while. You could argue that it's a "breather" for the audience, since TOD is a pretty packed film. But still, that scene doesn't work very well. Not for the character, and not for the particular film as a whole.

oki9Sedo

Zorg said:
Same here. During that scene the film just stops for a while. You could argue that it's a "breather" for the audience, since TOD is a pretty packed film. But still, that scene doesn't work very well. Not for the character, and not for the particular film as a whole.

Its always interesting to see the hero turn evil.

1ord3vil

I only watch Raiders and don't like much of TOD and LC at all. There are selected scenes from the last two I enjoy, but I never watch them from start to finish anymore.

yodazone

The "X marks the spot" scene in the Venice library sequence from "Last Crusade." In one frame, the giant "X" is in full view on the floor of the library.....the next frame, it's all disappeared. That was real careless filmaking to omit that "X" and how did Spielberg or anyone else not realize it on set?

They could have at least digitized an "X" for the DVD release....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

IkoJones

I terribly mind the jump-from-the-plane scene because of poor visual effects. The crash and explosion of the plane was the most unrealistic one I've ever seen in a movie...

And I also don't like a scene in Raiders where Marion is scared of the corpses in the Well of Souls. Seems to me like she came into a storehouse full of puppets. I mean, is that common that Egyptians kept dead bodies in stock?

:hat:

jonesissparrow

In TOD the dinner scene was over the top and the heart ripping scene was just too freaky for an Indy movie.

Marion spouting out in ROTLA, "I'm American you can't do this to me!" I thought that was weak because for the most part that's why the foreign countries have a grudge against us because of our individualism.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
jonesissparrow said:
Marion spouting out in ROTLA, "I'm American you can't do this to me!" I thought that was weak because for the most part that's why the foreign countries have a grudge against us because of our individualism.

Well, individualism has nothing to do with it, but as a reflection of American exceptionalism, wouldn't you say it was a nice realistic touch?

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
Well, individualism has nothing to do with it, but as a reflection of American exceptionalism, wouldn't you say it was a nice realistic touch?

Exactly, that was the whole point. Lawrence Kasdan was poking fun at that.

Bjorn Heimdall

For the record, I'd just like to add that I love the dinner scene from ToD. There is really nothing wrong with any of those dishes, hell, I'm from a western country and we eat sheepheads, complete with the tongue and the eyes (not the brain, though!), also, sheepfeet and ram's balls!

deckard24

Bjorn Heimdall said:
For the record, I'd just like to add that I love the dinner scene from ToD. There is really nothing wrong with any of those dishes, hell, I'm from a western country and we eat sheepheads, complete with the tongue and the eyes (not the brain, though!), also, sheepfeet and ram's balls!

Sheepheads...mmmmmmm(in my best Homer voice)!:p

metalinvader

Bjorn Heimdall said:

So....Tounge,Eyes,Sheepfeet and Ram balls but no brain..Why is that overkill?:p

BTW You can eat all those ingredients in one food item...The hot dog.:D