The Office (NBC)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
Will Ferrell

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, <I>that</I> was definitely the thing to be excited about last night... :rolleyes:

I actually wasn't a long-time Office viewer, but I watched both the BBC and NBC versions starting in January and finishing...in January. So while I got on board with the show, it hasn't been a years-long thing for me. I thought the proposal was great, and possibly even greater were the so brief reactions from everyone at the office that Michael is leaving. From what I've read, this may have been Amy Ryan's last episode as Holly, so I imagine a lot of what we'll get is Michael's good-byes to everyone, in addition to the replacement storyline and accompanying schtick.

(I'll let you all google the spoilers if you care, but there's a couple of interesting guest stars in the season finale that seem to more or less reveal who's taking over.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
I don't know about you, but I would've loved to see the "Will You Marry Me" in fire idea.:D

The parking lot will never seem more ominous than it was in "Classy Christmas," with the snowmen. Might as well quit while they're ahead.

Gear

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, <I>that</I> was definitely the thing to be excited about last night...

tumblr_la8cct5YnD1qace781.gif

Dr. Gonzo

Anybody catch last nights episode? It Michael Scotts (Carell) second to last.
His last dundies. That tribute they all did for him at the end choked him up a bit. It kinda almost choked me up too. :eek:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
1 episode, but I know I'll be there to see it.:D

Care to start a betting pool on who the real new boss is going to be?

The safe money is on Will Arnett. Or possibly Daryl as a longer shot, and the most likely of the "promoted from within" options. (Andy? Nah.)

JP Jones

Care to start a betting pool on who the real new boss is going to be?

The safe money is on Will Arnett. Or possibly Daryl as a longer shot, and the most likely of the "promoted from within" options. (Andy? Nah.)
I don't think it will be anyone that we've already heard about, but I'd definatley watch if Jim Carrey took the reigns.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's probably a reason for placing Ed Helms in the promotional material since season 5. It would seem an obvious choice in retrospect. But it might not be for long, and some others are mulling departures too.

I wonder what they've planned for a cliffhanger. It's rather Dickensian and doesn't involve the principals but they set up the possibility Phyllis could be Erin's mother.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
There's probably a reason for placing Ed Helms in the promotional material since season 5. It would seem an obvious choice in retrospect. But it might not be for long, and some others are mulling departures too.

The reason I figure it's not Andy, even though that seems like the most likely option, is because I'm not sure the stories they'd be able to tell with him as boss would be that different from Michael as boss stories. I'd be willing to be proven wrong, though: he is the biggest star on the show.

As for Jim Carrey: no. The energy would be all wrong. The converse problem of Ray Romano. (Of course, Ray has his own show that's going strong, so he's definitely not a possibility.)

JP Jones

The energy would be all wrong.
Care to explain? I know Jim can be crazy (Ace Ventura, Liar Liar), but he can also balance his comedy (Bruce Almighty, Yes Man)

I think he'd almost be perfect as boss.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
Care to explain? I know Jim can be crazy (Ace Ventura, Liar Liar), but he can also balance his comedy (Bruce Almighty, Yes Man)

I think he'd almost be perfect as boss.

Yeah, I meant more or less what you guessed. I know he's done some pretty good stuff, and isn't just a comedian, but he's still, almost always, tightly wound to some degree (in my experience). Part of the reason Helms <I>would</I> work is that his comedy comes primarily from a place of empathy, as Carell's does. That was the biggest difference between Carell's boss and Gervais's - but then that was partly the fact that a long-form American sitcom has different needs than a British series. Carrey can clearly play sympathetic - I think he's quite good in <I>The Truman Show</I>, but I also sort of feel that he's too intellectualized a presence. You can see the wires, you know? There's that level of thought that you can't quite get through, to get to a level of feeling. I'm not sure he's right for a comic center, at least on a sitcom.

And if the show does only last one more season, as many suspect, they do have a bit more freedom to go experimental with the boss, as Carrey would be, or as Craig Robinson's Daryl would be, for that matter: Daryl as boss would lead to a boss who is much more straightforwardly competent, and would be the "one sane man" form of comedic lead. And Arnett: well, he'd be off-putting too, in some of the same ways Carrey might be expected to be, and he is, from what i hear, Gervais's favorite, so: anything's possible.

Last edited: