Tarantino

Pale Horse

Staff member
Underwhelmed

Political undertones and nuanced overtones stole some of the tension from this piece. I was hoping for a return to the Western Genre, and wanted this (especially after reading it) to be comparable to say, Silverado, but in the end it was a beautiful Tarantino film, that got caught up in being a Tarantino film.

It's odd though and worthy of discussion, I guess, to talk about how the craftsmanship affected the art. For me, it got in the way. As a master of dialogue, he violated the one rule in good writing. Show, Don't Tell.

With 70mm of screen to work with, he told us too much..

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Political undertones and nuanced overtones stole some of the tension from this piece. I was hoping for a return to the Western Genre, and wanted this (especially after reading it) to be comparable to say, Silverado, but in the end it was a beautiful Tarantino film, that got caught up in being a Tarantino film.

It's odd though and worthy of discussion, I guess, to talk about how the craftsmanship affected the art. For me, it got in the way. As a master of dialogue, he violated the one rule in good writing. Show, Don't Tell.

With 70mm of screen to work with, he told us too much..

From people I trust I have no decided not to see this in the theater. QT (who I like A LOT) just likes his writing a little too much for my own enjoyment. I was excited to see this in 70MM as I lived in Telluride for 10 years and visit often - but I don't need to see another 12 Angry Men. It has been done and done well.

roundshort

I did not care for this WAY TOO MANY minutes movie. For way too many reasons
1) you are in the most beautiful location in America using 70MM, and you totally waste it. They missed so much. Could have been a total studio movie.
2) It was NOT a western. More like QT wanted to recreate the drama of Key Largo - but he failed.
3) The violence to the female characters was horrible. I did not need to see JJL repeatedly beat. I don't care what she did. But that is not all QT's fault. I know he likes to shock people. But they way it was do, it was not done for effect (affect?) but for comedic punch lines. And the audience I saw it with took it as a joke. Violence to women is not a joke. Sorry huge fail.
4) PREDICTABLE. Maybe I read too much Agatha, but he telegraphed this ending.

I like QT, always have. I value the conversation I had with him about movies a few 4th of Julys ago. I like most of his movies, but find newer moves not watchable after seeing them once.

If this movie was 120 minutes to

Wait to see it at home if you must.

Dr. Gonzo

After finally seeing the film with some friends, we left the theater and gathered at a nearby watering hole.
Discussion on the film began -- I was unusually quiet, sippin' on an "old fashioned" and listening to the back and forth between comrades, struggling with my initial reaction...
15 minutes in, a friend pointed out how odd it was that I hadn't said a word this whole time.

Almost like a line/scene out of the film, one of my friends turns to me and says:

"You there, speak up. What's your story?"

All heads turned my way.

I took another drink from the tumbler. Set it down. Slowly looked up at the faces across the table. (Hell, I shoulda been wearing a cowboy hat)
Then with a sense of finality I uttered the words:

"Tarantino at his most self indulgent."

My words rang true with everyone. Heads began nodding in agreement.

"...Check please."

roundshort

Dr. Gonzo said:
After finally seeing the film with some friends, we left the theater and gathered at a nearby watering hole.
Discussion on the film began -- I was unusually quiet, sippin' on an "old fashioned" and listening to the back and forth between comrades, struggling with my initial reaction...
15 minutes in, a friend pointed out how odd it was that I hadn't said a word this whole time.

Almost like a line/scene out of the film, one of my friends turns to me and says:

"You there, speak up. What's your story?"

All heads turned my way.

I took another drink from the tumbler. Set it down. Slowly looked up at the faces across the table. (Hell, I shoulda been wearing a cowboy hat)
Then with a sense of finality I uttered the words:

"Tarantino at his most self indulgent."

My words rang true with everyone. Heads began nodding in agreement.

"...Check please."

An here is Dr. Gonzo at his most self indulgent.

roundshort

After rereading Gonzos review maybe that is the future for the I generation. We don't fight but we write really tough reviews. The 2016 Marlowe will be..

"The same left me with an impossible job. I can't do it but I will blog tough. Hell, I should have had cowboy hat. Even. 6 shooter. But at the end of the day I a p$&@. But I type tough. So it keeps going. I have internet coolmess. Not like Bowie. But I see myslef like him, in his let's dance era. I am tough. I am cool. To bad ISIS will kill me...

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
I did not care for this WAY TOO MANY minutes movie. For way too many reasons
1) you are in the most beautiful location in America using 70MM, and you totally waste it. They missed so much. Could have been a total studio movie.
2) It was NOT a western. More like QT wanted to recreate the drama of Key Largo - but he failed.
3) The violence to the female characters was horrible. I did not need to see JJL repeatedly beat. I don't care what she did. But that is not all QT's fault. I know he likes to shock people. But they way it was do, it was not done for effect (affect?) but for comedic punch lines. And the audience I saw it with took it as a joke. Violence to women is not a joke. Sorry huge fail.
4) PREDICTABLE. Maybe I read too much Agatha, but he telegraphed this ending.

I like QT, always have. I value the conversation I had with him about movies a few 4th of Julys ago. I like most of his movies, but find newer moves not watchable after seeing them once.

If this movie was 120 minutes to

Wait to see it at home if you must.

Thanks for heads-up on the Jennifer Jason Leigh violence. It prepared me and as a result it didn't upset me too much. I pretty much agree with your review but would note the music and atmospherics were superb. You drop the apt Key Largo comparison but I would argue in terms of the atmospherics, mood and music, Hateful 8 succeeded.

Love to QT get his confidence back and set something in the present day.

AndyLGR

I watched Hateful 8 recently on blu ray. I went in to it with no real baggage as I've only seen Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and that was when they came out.

I enjoyed it. My initial thoughts at the end were that it was like Agatha Christies 'And Then There Were None'.

Despite it being set in one location I thought that didn't hamper it, and it gave me the feeling of being a play, with its one venue and also the running gag with the door that wouldn't shut. In fact I thought that gag was quite clever, as it disarmed me about everyone in there

The dialogue and performances kept it bubbling away nicely. He also did a good job of making me not like one single character in it, (with the exception the people that ran the place), which incidentally was a typically brutal scene.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Gotta admit, Kurt was solid in that role (although, I would have him driving a Z28 instead of a Mustang).

In other news. QT engaged and contemplating retirement.

Like Audi, Ford never misses an opportunity for product placement. I would have gone 442 - Ego would have wanted more power...

Z dweller

Finally caught The Hateful Eight on Netflix and it left me hugely disappointed.

It's like a parody of earlier QT movies and way, WAY TOO LONG.

The usual "shock and awe" moments feel telegraphed and tired, enacted by the same old stable of familiar faces.

Boring.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

If Indy 5 was still releasing in 2019 we'd have video like this to pass the time.
(The audio is extraneous, you can mute it.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N9V4ZGrvkzw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jonesy9906753

So in the years during the Raven's 'Blip,' QT does a mic drop with 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.' Very satisfying.
One of the standout bits of the story that covered Cliff and Rick’s friendship, that unique rapport between Stuntman and Actor.

Couldn’t help but think about another Stuntman Actor duo…

CBrDbsn.jpg

emtiem

I remember years ago Joe Cornish told a story on the radio where he went to a gathering at Tarantino's place where QT screened Temple of Doom for them all. Apparently he said that he regards it as Spielberg's best directed film. I can't really disagree with him on that!