What would you like to see in future Indiana Jones publications?

Hello all,

I have been scratching my head for several days now on a good topic for the Indiana Jones literature sub forum.

First I was thinking of opening a thread on what people's favorite Indiana Jones books are or their top 5 Indiana Jones comics, but these threads have already been done before and there have not been any new Indy publications that could change the last responses/outcomes.

So instead I would like to ask people here what they would like to see or hope to see in any future Indiana Jones publication, be it a book, a comic, an RPG module.

My own answer?
I always felt that Indiana Jones was at his strongest during the 30s, right before World War 2 or during it.
A time of change, opening of more parts of the world due to better methods of travel, political turmoil.
And the Nazis/Axis forces made good antagonists who are after historical and mythological treasures and artifacts.

Still I feel the Nazis/various German departments have been kind of played out by now because they have been so overused now. Not just in Indy but also other publications (Hellboy for example).

I would really like to see more stories set after World War 2, perhaps involving the Soviets more (okay I admit that the Soviets and their archaeological departments would be a substitute for the Nazi ones) like in Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix.

After that I am not sure.
The elderly Indiana Jones and somewhat focus on science fiction in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did not really appeal to me even if Infernal Machine was basically the same. (for some reason it did appeal to me in that game's story)

As for a Mutt Jones based publications. No thanks, I don't care for the character.

Indyfan82

After that I am not sure.
The elderly Indiana Jones and somewhat focus on science fiction in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did not really appeal to me even if Infernal Machine was basically the same. (for some reason it did appeal to me in that game's story)
I don't really regard Indy as "elderly" in the KOTCS movie- just older. [As someone who watched "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" in its original run, I think of an elderly Indy as George Hall portraying him in his 90s.;) ]
But I get what you're saying. I personally love "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" just fine.
As for what Indiana Jones publication I might like- well, I'd really like to see Rob MacGregor's already completed with cover art ready to go book called "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" (based on the video game) to get released already!:whip:
And I'd be open to more Indy novels exploring the World War II era in the 1940s, as it feels like the 1930s have been pretty extensively covered and years previous to that have been covered well by the TV series and other books set in the 1920s. The '40s and '50s have had some timeline slots filled, but otherwise they seem to be fairly wide open for further adventures.
I enjoy comic books and I'm open to reading those too, of course- but I'd probably just as soon see more novels.

Perhaps I should have written "older" instead of "elderly" ;)
Sorry for that, English is not my first language.

I recently read one the Indiana Jones books written by Wolfgang Hohlbein that got translated into Dutch that took place during World War 2 and I agree that that time period could work (we know from Kotcs that Indy worked for the US intelligence department at the time which would be a good plot device), and of course more books & comics taking place after WW2.

But is it at all possible for there to be any new publications in the near future if there is not another major Indiana Jones movie in the coming couple of years?
I sadly have my doubts :(

TheFedora

Id really like to see what a comic set after Temple of Doom would be like. I know we had some of that in the old Indy comics, but a new modernized comic could perhaps give us a new feel for that era.

I was rather irritated when Disney decided to declare the old Expanded Universe including the various comics non canon or "Legends". (mostly because I don't like Disney's new canon)

But I have to admit that I would be curious to see what the books and comics would be like the decision was made to start over again after Temple of Doom like you suggest.

Still I rather wish the publications would move on into the 40s and 50s like we discussed earlier as it would feel to much like wanting to "play with the old toys again and pretend they are new", even if the Indiana Jones canon/timeline is not as filled like that of Star Wars.

But yeah, I have not real problem with the Marvel comics being declared non canon or be replaced with a new comic series.

Plaristes

Definitely, my top vote would be for MacGregor's unpublished Staff novel to finally be released, even if only as an ebook. I would also agree that I'd like to see more material set during and after World War II.

But I think, even more than new material, I would like for there to be official English translations of a lot of old material that's only available in French, German (or in Dutch translation), and Japanese.

Indyfan82

But I think, even more than new material, I would like for there to be official English translations of a lot of old material that's only available in French, German (or in Dutch translation), and Japanese.
Oh yes- I definitely agree with this! It'd be nice to finally read Wolfgang Hohlbein's Indy novels in English.:) :whip:

Indyfan82

Perhaps I should have written "older" instead of "elderly"
Sorry for that, English is not my first language.
Oh, okay- no problem. Your English is good. And you were technically correct- it's just that people tend to take "elderly" to mean different things. (It's like an old joke- "older" always means someone older than you.;) )

Stoo

TheFedora said:
Id really like to see what a comic set after Temple of Doom would be like. I know we had some of that in the old Indy comics
Wow! You know about stories that nobody else has heard of before? :rolleyes: You must be mistaken. None of the "old" comics take place between "Doom" and "Raiders". The only comic is "Tomb of the Gods" from 2008-09 and (unless you're a child) that's not old.

TheFedora said:
...a new modernized comic could perhaps give us a new feel for that era.
A "modernized comic" could give a "new feel" of 1935? :confused:

Plaristes said:
Definitely, my top vote would be for MacGregor's unpublished Staff novel to finally be released...
I would like for there to be official English translations of a lot of old material that's only available in French, German (or in Dutch translation), and Japanese.
Exactly my thoughts, as well...but it's a pipe dream. :(

IndyBuff

Plaristes said:
Definitely, my top vote would be for MacGregor's unpublished Staff novel to finally be released, even if only as an ebook. I would also agree that I'd like to see more material set during and after World War II.

I too would like to see the Staff of Kings novel published, especially since the game and the story were rushed and underwhelming. I have no doubt MacGregor did it justice.

bladerunner13

I wouldn't mind seeing a version of Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - since this seemed to have been where Max McCoy's books were leading...