Raiders' boulder & Scrooge McDuck

Heliograph

Whoa, total ignorance?

This boggles the mind. I'm going to have to check my Junior Woodchuck Manual to figure this one out.

Deadlock

Heliograph, thanks for this revelation!

Pardon my ignorance... I always thought that the Donald Duck Disney universe (a la Duck Tales) was ripping off Indy. You learn something new every day. :)

Heliograph said:
This boggles the mind. I'm going to have to check my Junior Woodchuck Manual to figure this one out.

As the vaunted Manual is a compilation of the knowledge in the Lost Library of Alexandria... I'm sure you can find something helpful in this situation!

Last edited:

Heliograph

Carl Barks Rules

Deadlock said:
Heliograph, thanks for this revelation!

Pardon my ignorance... I always thought that the Donald Duck Disney universe (a la Duck Tales) was ripping off Indy. You learn something new every day.,,,

Au contraire, Spielberg and Lucas borrowed from Disney.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vathek/Wind.html

"Edward Summer, a writer and film producer who is author of "Uncle Scrooge McDuck, His Life and Times" (Celestial Arts, 1980), said Mr. Barks had a wandering and inventive imagination that inspired others, including George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg. "

"'The rolling rock sequence at the beginning of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' was consciously borrowed from one of the Uncle Scrooge stories, 'The Seven Cities of Cibola,' " Mr. Summer said."

-New York Times

Deadlock

Heliograph said:

Very cool. I'd like to see something about this added to the "influences" section on the main site.

A couple of questions: what would be the best way to read these vintage comics? Are they compiled in "The Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge McDuck"? How close to the comics were some of the Duck Tales TV shows?

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Deadlock said:
Are they compiled in "The Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge McDuck"?

No. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a book made by Keno Don Rosa. It is based on Barks's stories and tells how Uncle Scrooge became the richest duck in the world. Almost all the stories take place after that.

The Duck Tales has nothing to do with these stories.

Last edited:

Deadlock

VP said:
No. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a book made by Keno Don Rosa. It is based on Barks's stories and tells how Uncle Scrooge became the richest duck in the world. Almost all the stories take place after that.

Are we talking about the same thing? This book prominently features Bark's name and claims to be "a rich collection encompassing McDuck's greatest adventures."

0890875111.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Heliograph

Carl Barks Rules

The titles are confusing.

Barks wrote the comics in the 'Forties, 'Fifties, and "Sixties. (I had first editions and didn't even know it!!)

"Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold," a story of 64 pages based on an original scenario by Bob Karp, first Published in October, 1942. It was the first Donald Duck story originally produced for an American comic book and also the first involving Donald and his nephews in a treasure hunting expedition, in this case for the treasure of Henry Morgan. Barks would later use the treasure hunting theme in many of his stories.

Barks' stories were humorous adventure stories with a dark, defeatist undertone. They found popularity not only among young children but adults as well. Despite the fact that Barks had done little traveling his stories took his duck characters around the globe into the most remote or magnificent of locations.

I knew Spielberg had acknowledge the influence of Barks, but did not know Lucas had too. Many of us who read comic books in the 'Fifties were marked by the experience.

Ducktales came a generation later and it was an attempt to recycle the magic. I caught one or two on TV, but they just were shown at the right time for me.

Heliograph

Carl Barks Rules

Yes, check out the quote from the New York Times above. Spielberg and Lucas have conceded it.

That doesn't mean it doesn't owe alot to the serials or for that matter, Carl Barks doesn't owe something to the serials, but treasure adventures linked to true lost civilizations were Barks' style.

Stoo

Heliograph said:

"'The rolling rock sequence at the beginning of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' was consciously borrowed from one of the Uncle Scrooge stories, 'The Seven Cities of Cibola,' " Mr. Summer said."

-New York Times

VERY interesting as I always thought the rolling boulder was taken from
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959). What is the date for
"The Seven Cities of Cibola"?

lol, its funny, how is that called in your countries? In mine its called Tio Gilito, in FInland Uncle Scrooge?? and in your countries?? :D

Stoo

VP said:
In Finnish it's Sunien seitsemän kaupunkia. First published in September 1954. Uncle Scrooge #7.

GREAT! :D Thanks for posting that. I checked out the link and it's
completely convincing.

I'm an Indy fan and a Disney fan ('60s/'70s) but you guys
"take the cake". :cool: Thanks VP, Heliograph and Deadlock.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Luisiana Jones said:
how is that called in your countries?

How what is called? The Seven Cities of Cibola is Sunien seitsemän kaupunkia. Uncle Scrooge (character) is Roope Ankka or Roope-setä. The Uncle Scrooge magazine is Aku Ankka in Finland.