The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
If you take a look at the Indy Lit section, I'm sure you'll be able to find some stuff on the Further Adventures, however I'll answer the question the best I can as I myself have asked the question a while back and Stoo did answer it.

In Volume 1 of the Further Adventures (which covers Raiders adaption and 1-12 issues) Marion's in Raiders (all 4 issues), #6 (which is about the Raven's Nest nightclub), #7, #8 (my personal favourites), #9, #10, #11 and #12. So that's six issues of Marion appearances from June 1982 - Dec 1982. It is implied in most of these that the adventures take place in late 1936, though with the state of the timeline at the moment, I'm more likely to lean towards 1937. The comics don't always state the year in the intro.

As far as I can remember she also appears in #16 and #17 (whichever are the Search for Abner issues, which I am looking very forward to in Volume 2) and there's more I'm sure before her last appearances in #22 and #23 (which I look very forward to seeing in the Omnibuses). The later ones would have to be taking place in 1937 and would work within the years discussed in the Ultimate Guide and in KOTCS.

You can also look at TheRaider.Net's Lit section. They cover all the synopses and covers for the Further Adventure and Dark Horse comics.

Robyn

Annie, I have just about all the Further Adventure comics with Marion in it posted at the Indy and Marion site/group, if you want the link just let me know

AnnieJones

Violet Indy said:
If you take a look at the Indy Lit section, I'm sure you'll be able to find some stuff on the Further Adventures, however I'll answer the question the best I can as I myself have asked the question a while back and Stoo did answer it.

In Volume 1 of the Further Adventures (which covers Raiders adaption and 1-12 issues) Marion's in Raiders (all 4 issues), #6 (which is about the Raven's Nest nightclub), #7, #8 (my personal favourites), #9, #10, #11 and #12. So that's six issues of Marion appearances from June 1982 - Dec 1982. It is implied in most of these that the adventures take place in late 1936, though with the state of the timeline at the moment, I'm more likely to lean towards 1937. The comics don't always state the year in the intro.

As far as I can remember she also appears in #16 and #17 (whichever are the Search for Abner issues, which I am looking very forward to in Volume 2) and there's more I'm sure before her last appearances in #22 and #23 (which I look very forward to seeing in the Omnibuses). The later ones would have to be taking place in 1937 and would work within the years discussed in the Ultimate Guide and in KOTCS.

You can also look at TheRaider.Net's Lit section. They cover all the synopses and covers for the Further Adventure and Dark Horse comics.

Thank you so much for your help.;) It's much appreciated.:hat:

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
I was just wondering,does anyone have the original copies of The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones comics?If so,I was wondering how many of them Marion was in and what was the last year they were together.I'm guessing it would have the year in comic books themselves.
All of Marion's Marvel appreances take place in 1936. She's in #6-12, #14, #16, #17-18, #20-23 and 25. (She is also mentioned in #16.) You should buy the Ominbus edition, Annie. It's well worth it!

Violet Indy said:

...Just had another look and I made a mistake about #23 being her last.:eek: She's also in #25 (but not with Indy, she is pissed at him). After that chapter, it's "Adios, muchachos!" for Marion! As for the dates, only the last few (#31-34) are in 1937. #30 says "circa 1936". Hope that helps.:)

AnnieJones

ronicle said:
Annie, I have just about all the Further Adventure comics with Marion in it posted at the Indy and Marion site/group, if you want the link just let me know

Yes please.:)
And thanks so much for your help.:hat:

AnnieJones

Stoo said:
All of Marion's Marvel appreances take place in 1936. She's in #6-12, #14, #16, #17-18, #20-23 and 25. (She is also mentioned in #16.) You should buy the Ominbus edition, Annie. It's well worth it!

...Just had another look and I made a mistake about #23 being her last.:eek: She's also in #25 (but not with Indy, she is pissed at him). After that chapter, it's "Adios, muchachos!" for Marion! As for the dates, only the last few (#31-34) are in 1937. #30 says "circa 1936". Hope that helps.:)

Yes,it does help.Thank you Stoo.:hat:

The Tingler

You know what? This really surprised me with how good it is. It's amazing that with just one film to go off, these comic makers really nailed Indy! Then again, that film was Raiders and so many others have been trying to replicate it without success since its release...

Robyn

These are the comics I have the links for, if anyone hasn't read any of these yet..

Africa Screams part 1

Africa screams part 2

Club Nightmare

The Fourth Nail part 1

The Fourth Nail part 2

The Search for Abner part 1

The Search for Abner part 2

The Secret of the Deep

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:

Well it's good to know that the money I pay for the next omnibus will be well worth it!!! (y)

#25, huh? I suppose I would be expecting too much if Colin Williams was in that issue :p .

Jono11

I have the full run in .cbr files on a backup DVD somewhere. All the Indy comics, actually (I think. All the English-language ones, at any rate.)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Further Adventures as Indy stories. They're some of the best adventure comics of the time, if you just read them as adventure stories. Not too heavy on that hoary old clunker of an albatross around the neck of basically all comics pre-Moore/Morrison/Ellis known as exposition. The dialogue is killer--the series hooked me immediately with (I think) the first issue, a Spear of Destiny story which starts with Indy wrestling Adolf Hitler for the Spear. Or something like that. Been awhile since I read it. Anyway, there was some great dialogue in that scene that hooked me immediately. Something to the effect of Hitler saying "GIVE IT TO ME NOW" and Indy going "No! Wait, what are we talking about?" And another scene when Indy says, a little too loudly, something about the spear, then realizes everyone is looking at him kind of Nazily, and tries to cover it up by saying, "Uh, beer! Don't think I'll be needing another one!"

But I didn't see them as Indy stories. Obviously, they are, but I didn't really feel like they nailed any of the characters as the unique people that they are. Indy was just another comic book protagonist. He didn't talk like Indy. The examples I just cited are also examples of that problem: it just doesn't feel like Indy. (Come to think of it, it feels a lot like Han Solo.)

Jono11 said:
I have the full run in .cbr files on a backup DVD somewhere. All the Indy comics, actually (I think. All the English-language ones, at any rate.)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Further Adventures as Indy stories. They're some of the best adventure comics of the time, if you just read them as adventure stories. Not too heavy on that hoary old clunker of an albatross around the neck of basically all comics pre-Moore/Morrison/Ellis known as exposition. The dialogue is killer--the series hooked me immediately with (I think) the first issue, a Spear of Destiny story which starts with Indy wrestling Adolf Hitler for the Spear. Or something like that. Been awhile since I read it. Anyway, there was some great dialogue in that scene that hooked me immediately. Something to the effect of Hitler saying "GIVE IT TO ME NOW" and Indy going "No! Wait, what are we talking about?" And another scene when Indy says, a little too loudly, something about the spear, then realizes everyone is looking at him kind of Nazily, and tries to cover it up by saying, "Uh, beer! Don't think I'll be needing another one!"

But I didn't see them as Indy stories. Obviously, they are, but I didn't really feel like they nailed any of the characters as the unique people that they are. Indy was just another comic book protagonist. He didn't talk like Indy. The examples I just cited are also examples of that problem: it just doesn't feel like Indy. (Come to think of it, it feels a lot like Han Solo.)

Uhm... isn't that scene you described from Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny? That's a Dark Horse comic. I do recall Indy having an hallucination after collapsing in a cave where he's excavating... I believe the hallucination featured Hitler at least. Anyway, that's not a Further Adventures story.

Jono11

ResidentAlien said:
Uhm... isn't that scene you described from Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny? That's a Dark Horse comic. I do recall Indy having an hallucination after collapsing in a cave where he's excavating... I believe the hallucination featured Hitler at least. Anyway, that's not a Further Adventures story.
OK, now I have to go back and check.

Well shave me bald and call me hairy, you're right. Wonder why I misremembered that as Further Adventures. Weird. Anyway, I still stand by the general gist of what I thought of Further Adventures. And, for the record, I did also feel that way about quite a few of the Dark Horse comics. I remember liking Shrine of the Sea Devil the best, I think. Again, it's been ages.

UIMJ

The final issue of this series is so hard to find in any grade, let alone high grade. You guys can have the Omnibus - but I want the real, underprinted comics. :)

Indy's Fist

UIMJ said:
The final issue of this series is so hard to find in any grade, let alone high grade. You guys can have the Omnibus - but I want the real, underprinted comics. :)
I have those. I collected them over a three year period. I went from comic shop to comic shop and pieced not one but two collections together! I won't even touch the Omnibus. I love the original prints.

Final Issue

So was Issue 35 ever printed? I heard there was an issue 35 but it never got printed due to poor sales? Does anyone have the answer? And will the Omnibus have it?

Stoo

punisher5150 said:
So was Issue 35 ever printed? I heard there was an issue 35 but it never got printed due to poor sales? Does anyone have the answer? And will the Omnibus have it?
*If* it does exist (complete/incomplete) it would be a genuine treat to see it in Omnibus 3 but I'm not holding my breath. I bought these religiously from the rack every month at Perrette's (a chain of convenience stores that is long gone) and can assure you that the series ended at #34.

Indy's Fist

punisher5150 said:
According to every source I have checked there never was an issue #35 produced. Ebay has no issue #35 for sale anywhere and even on this site #34 was the last issue. In fact #34 was the last of a three part story. If anything #35 was one of those issuses that may have been made by Marvel writers and/or artists, just the series was ended before printing. That is if it was even finished.

Indy's Fist

Stoo said:
*If* it does exist (complete/incomplete) it would be a genuine treat to see it in Omnibus 3 but I'm not holding my breath. I bought these religiously from the rack every month at Perrette's (a chain of convenience stores that is long gone) and can assure you that the series ended at #34.
Ah, the good old days! The ride up to the store, the smile on one's face upon finding the treasure, the smell of the comic....it will never be like it used to.