Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

jeff2178

Even thought Lucas didn't plan on the diamond in TOD to be connected, it's just one of those happy hollywood accidents, I'll take it, the other thing about Peacock was when Indyand Remy was in the cave, it showed little effects of Raiders in light and music...cool..:whip:

Adamwankenobi

jeff2178 said:
Even thought Lucas didn't plan on the diamond in TOD to be connected, it's just one of those happy hollywood accidents, I'll take it, the other thing about Peacock was when Indyand Remy was in the cave, it showed little effects of Raiders in light and music...cool..:whip:

LOL, yeah, it seems that in Indiana Jones productions, some of the best things happen by accident.

jeff2178

It also starts pretty cool, with the war ending in minutes and they had to race to capture the soldier in no man's land, then he tells them about the treasure. What a great way to start....:D

Stoo

So much to say about this episode!

First off, thanks, metalinvader, for the link to the Junior novels. Personally, I?m thrilled
by the connection and can?t believe they extended the story even further!:cool:

The crystal replica in the link Avilos provided is not the same shape as the stone in ?Doom?
and definitely not an actual prop. The film version is larger, doesn't have a pointed tip and
has smaller facets on its crown.

http://www.indyprops.com/pp-diamond.htm

Now, here's the interesting part:
The peacock statue is described as being a ?small replica? which would mean that
the real diamond is bigger than the curator?s version. He says that the 2 eyes each
weighed 140 carats which matches (approx.) the size of the one in ?Doom?!

It?s hard to believe but The Eye of the Peacock is never shown in the original broadcast.
During the museum scene, the curator does not produce the diamond replica. There is a
shot where he is about to reach into his jacket and starts to look warily behind at the
painters in the background. Is this when he ?pulls it out?? (My VHS re-release is not here
with me, so I can't check.):(

I love the diamond?s history especially with the British colonel and could go off
on a whole tangent about that story with even further connections to ?Doom?...

One thing that really made me happy was seeing the 4-pack of ?Peacock?s Eye?
and the movie trilogy in ?99. If any episode deserves a place alongside them, it?s this.

jeff2178 said:
What a great way to start....:D
Yes, jeff2178, great way to start and the story just barrels along from there!
Don?t you love the mad train dash from Alexandria to Port Said when the red line
is zig-zagging like crazy over the map?
ReggieSnake said:
Was it the actress's original voice before? Wow, that VO was pretty bad...
The original voice for the lady pirate was dubbed, too (and also not synched very well)
so I have no idea if it was the voice of the actress or not. Thankfully, she only has a
few lines so it?s not *that* detrimental.

Flannery10

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is in many aspects my favorite episode of the whole series. No episode had such a great connection with the movies, except Mystery of the Blues perhaps, for obvious reasons.

I love all the fight scenes, great landscapes and the character of Bronislaw Malinowski, an intelligent man, whose goodbye quote is one of the best ones of the whole series: "Kanoo, break through your sea passage, fly through peril, leave your imprint in the sand. Perhaps we'll meet again." Some people say that was a little too much, but in my opinion it was just a great goodbye.

It's sad to see all the changes that were made to the episodes that didn't include George Hall bookends. Useless, and once again it leaves me with a big ?

ReggieSnake

Stoo said:
It’s hard to believe but The Eye of the Peacock is never shown in the original broadcast.
During the museum scene, the curator does not produce the diamond replica. There is a
shot where he is about to reach into his jacket and starts to look warily behind at the
painters in the background. Is this when he “pulls it out?” (My VHS re-release is not here
with me, so I can't check.):(
He does pull it out, but the bottom part is still covered by his hand and the cloth that was covering it if I'm not mistaken.

Wait....I'm telling Stoo something about Young Indy?;)

Flannery, I agree: it has a great ending.

Adamwankenobi

Flannery10 said:
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is in many aspects my favorite episode of the whole series. No episode had such a great connection with the movies, except Mystery of the Blues perhaps, for obvious reasons.

I love all the fight scenes, great landscapes and the character of Bronislaw Malinowski, an intelligent man, whose goodbye quote is one of the best ones of the whole series: "Kanoo, break through your sea passage, fly through peril, leave your imprint in the sand. Perhaps we'll meet again." Some people say that was a little too much, but in my opinion it was just a great goodbye.

It's sad to see all the changes that were made to the episodes that didn't include George Hall bookends. Useless, and once again it leaves me with a big ?

TotPE is indeed great. But IMO, the German East Africa/Congo episodes still have it beat. :cool:

Flannery10

When I said Treasure of the Peacock's Eye was my favorite episode, I really meant I like it because of it's similarity to the movies. There are really, really few episodes I don't like, because all of them were unique in many ways and therefore it's hard to pick a favorite episode. My short analysises for the episodes and why I like or don't like them:

Part 1

1) Curse of the Jackal- Great action and humor, probably closest to the Indy movies after "Peacock's Eye"
2) London, May 1916- Romance and Humor greatly mixed together, Hurley is just lovely
3) British East Africa, September 1909- Perfect Action for a Corey Carrier episode, great camerashots and deep message
4) Verdun, September 1916- Brutal, but truly told war episode, with a brilliant musical theme
5) German East Africa, December 1916- Thrilling episode, sad but action-packed and a great plot
6) Congo, January 1917- Great dialogues, especially the Reverence for Life and Schweitzer talking to the tribe chief about the war, very emotional
7) Austria, March 1917- Gripping episode, with good action and humor, not really special, but pefectly made
8) Somme, Early August 1916- Another good war episode, but in my opinion not as good as Verdun
9) Germany, Mid-August 1916- A good mix of humurous and sad scenes, has its lenghts but entertaining nevertheless
10) Barcelona, May 1917- Quiet unique and funny, a little silly, but still plausible and not as far fetched as Prague
11) Mystery of the Blues- Great music, perfect bookends, but not the best after-war episode, good entertainment, though
12) Princeton, February 1916- Like a Nancy Drew adventure, with lots of funny scenes and there is quite a bit of action, more for a younger audience, though
13) Petrograd, July 1917- Packing and even though not really filled with action, it keeps you on the edge of your seat for most of the time
14) Scandal of 1920- Funny and Hillarious, and in my opinion, better than Mystery of the Blues
15) Vienna, November 1908- In my opinion a little ridicolous in some scenes, but great costumes, locations and pretty funny
16) Northern Italy, June 1918- Romance, Humor and Action mixed together in a good way, one of the funniest episodes

Nurhachi1991

yeah i liked treasure of the peacocks eye but i really liked the war episodes it really shows why indys so dang good in hand to hand combat and everything else

LaoCheRules!

Yeah I think Peacock was one of my favorites, but I never liked that scene where that guy with the turban bursts into the room. The production value just seemed like nothing, the room had nothing in it. It made the scene seem very fake.

Adamwankenobi

LaoCheRules! said:
Yeah I think Peacock was one of my favorites, but I never liked that scene where that guy with the turban bursts into the room. The production value just seemed like nothing, the room had nothing in it. It made the scene seem very fake.

That scene seemed to be an homage to Temple of Doom.

fixer79

Yeah, that was a great episode!
I loved the fact that they cast Adrian Edmondson as Zyke.
I've been a big fan of him since 'The Young Ones' and 'Bottom'!

Crack that whip

Adamwankenobi said:
Lucas can't leave anything alone. :(

Now, now, that's not quite true. I don't think he's altered Willow yet, after all.

Not yet.

:p

Adamwankenobi said:
Yeah, it ends on a high note: "I'm going home." After all he's experienced in the war and Malinowski's pep talk, that would have been the perfect way to end the series in terms of the re-edits. So I wouldn't want it to be set later during Indy's college years, because I think it would lose some of its impact.

Now that I think about it, we're pretty lucky it got made, as it was one of the four TV movies shot after ABC canceled the series.

Indeed...

Joosse

Treasure of the peacock's eye

I was watching the treasure of the peacock's eye for the first time last night, only being able to see most Young Indy episodes now I finally have the DVD's. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't help but notice that the Chinese pirates were obviously very well supplied...:rolleyes:

Some of them were using M1 Garand rifles, wich considering this was supposed to be 1919 is quite an achievement...

Development on that particular type didn't start untill about 1933...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand

Montana Smith

Historical inaccuracies aside, piracy in that part of the world was a menace well into the 1930s. I read quite a bit about China in the 1930s (particularly Shanghai, and travel to and from). It was common on the passenger steamers to lock the Chinese below decks for the duration of the voyage, to protect the other passengers from what they might get up to.

Piracy was big business and the Triad gangs were powerful, with European officials in their pockets (just like the corruption in Chicago at the same time), but perhaps not powerful enough to obtain weapons 12 years ahead of development!

Stoo

Nice spot, Joosse!(y) I would have never noticed that myself.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the VHS/DVD version of "Peacock" is the re-dubbed voice of the main pirate lady. Now it is more American sounding instead of a thick Chinese accent as on the TV version.

Now, I hate to do this to you, Joosse, but there's already a thread about the episode (despite the spelling error): Treasure of the Pecock's Eye. Maybe one of the mods can merge and fix the title?

Joosse

Stoo said:
Now, I hate to do this to you, Joosse, but there's already a thread about the episode (despite the spelling error): Treasure of the Pecock's Eye. Maybe one of the mods can merge and fix the title?

Sorry, maybe that's why it didn't turn up in a search... :eek:

Neither did Scandal of 1920 by the way, but there was already a thread about that one as well. A moderator seems to have fixed that at least. (y)

Thanks!

Le Saboteur

Joosse said:
Some of them were using M1 Garand rifles, which considering this was supposed to be 1919 is quite an achievement...

I just watched this again over the weekend. And while they could be M1's, I thought they were M-1903 Springfield's. Both are highly similar weapons. In fact, I think the only significant cosmetic difference was a heavier/thicker stock on the M1; the "en bloc" ammunition system was used in both weapon systems.

Joose said:
Development on that particular type didn't start until about 1933...

Lucas likes to fudge dates, but after reviewing the scene it does appear that some of them are indeed M1's. You can clearly see the stubby over-under barrel that clearly distinguishes the two. In the end, it's a fairly innocuous inaccuracy.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
First off, thanks, metalinvader, for the link to the Junior novels. Personally, I?m thrilled by the connection and can?t believe they extended the story even further!:cool:

This is definitely in my Top 5 episodes. However, having subsequently learned about the retcon done between this and Temple, it's not something I'm especially fond of. I liked that it was just some diamond, and not connected to Alexander the Great. (The actual idea of such tenuous at best.)

Stoo said:
Now, here's the interesting part: The peacock statue is described as being a ?small replica? which would mean that the real diamond is bigger than the curator?s version. He says that the 2 eyes each weighed 140 carats which matches (approx.) the size of the one in ?Doom?!

For me, the interesting part was when the curator says that the peacock statue was destroyed after Alexander's death in 322. Well, why was it destroyed? Was it with Alexander when he died in Babylon? And if so, what happened to the rest of the gold; how did the diamond end up in India? Considering that Alexander never really made it into the sub-continent, there's lots to explore here. Another thirty minutes in Alexandria/Cairo/whatever would have been great as Remy & Indy delve more into the history of the diamond.

Stoo said:
I love the diamond?s history especially with the British colonel and could go off on a whole tangent about that story with even further connections to ?Doom?...

You and me both!

Stoo said:
One thing that really made me happy was seeing the 4-pack of ?Peacock?s Eye? and the movie trilogy in ?99. If any episode deserves a place alongside them, it?s this.

Agreed. Even though I initially (and mistakenly) bought the full frame set, I was definitely glad to have Treasure of the Peacock's Eye in my possession.

Stoo said:
Don?t you love the mad train dash from Alexandria to Port Said when the red line is zig-zagging like crazy over the map?

Yes! It was really cool, but I still don't know why Indy and Remy didn't cut across from Cairo to Suez. It's practically a straight shot. And I believe the rail line was up and running by 1918.