The Best Hamburger in the World

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
The list of burger joints to check out in L.A. is growing?including your house!:p Those babies look scrumptious and I love your description. Have you ever done a triple pattie?

I'd be willing to host...truly. Must be good with offspring and canines.

Stoo

Finn said:
Well, that's an easy one. The chain is named after its founder, a man called Heikki Salmela, or more specifically his nickname, "Hessu" (which is a common variation of Finnish name Heikki, in the same vein as William often becomes "Bill", Robert "Bob", and so forth).
Thanks for the info, Finn. I like learning about things like this.:)

By the way, this thread has now become a "sticky" on top of the Open Discussion section? Very cool.:cool:
Mickiana said:
I've had dinner, it's nearly bed time, I've read through this thread again and now I'm salivating.
Mick hungry.
Mick go to kitchen.
Mick make burger.
Mick put pineapple.
Mick eat.
Mick sleep.
Pale Horse said:
I'd be willing to host...truly. Must be good with offspring and canines.
Without any doubt, a burger BBQ at The Horse House would be a splendid experience. California sunshine coupled with the smell of meat on a grille being cooked by an Indiana Jones-lovin' host. One of theses days, man?

Speaking of horses & burgers, last year or so, there was an outrage in the UK about the discovery of a widespread use of horse meat in hamburger over there. That would bother me, too, because I'd never want to eat a horse and it freaks me out that horse meat is a common item in Swiss grocery stores...but I suppose it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of carnivorous things. It's more of a psychological issue.

Pale Horse

Staff member
2nd Place Showcase in the 11th Annual CMBA Burnt Offerings Cookoff

:whip:
14493616553_957c9fc9ec_c_d.jpg

That, my boys, (and any attending ladies) is a Hand Ground Lamb Shoulder "Lamburger." *the kind you might find at the Breslin*

I took lamb shoulder and veal and mixed it through the coarse plate on a hand grinder at 3/4~1/4 mixed ratio. Prior to the grind I chopped up mint and ginger root and added in to be ground into as seasoning. Then a sprinkle of salt and pepper as I cooked it over hot hickory coals.

The bun is a fresh ciabattia roll and it is garnished with Feta cheese, and arugula greens, and a cumin/mayo dressing.

It got me the second place trophy this year at the annual BBQ competition I do every fathers day. I also took 2nd in tri-tip, but that's a different thread.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
The bun is a fresh ciabattia roll and it is garnished with Feta cheese, and arugula greens, and a cumin/mayo dressing.

CUMIN - The Official Spice of the Raven Bar

But no, all of that sounds fantastic. Arugula is always a nice touch, and more lamb is likewise always a treat.

Gear

Oh, dear Allah, the best burger I've had is from a bar in my home town. One of my best friends's uncle is the cook. Juicy, meaty, bacony... I will take anyone who questions me there for a meal, some rounds and a couple games of pool. Best burgers in Oregon, I wager.

My mouth waters in the description.

Stoo

Gear said:
Oh, dear Allah, the best burger I've had...

Juicy, meaty, bacony... I will take anyone who questions me there for a meal, some rounds and a couple games of pool.
Bacon & Allah?:confused: This connection must be questioned. Just for that, you owe everybody a burger at that un-named joint in that un-named town at some point in the future, Gear Guardian (your original name)!:gun:

---
On my last trip to The Bay Area, I went to Pearl's in San Fran. It wasn't as good as the Mill Valley (Marin County) counterpart but still a delicious treat. I talked to the owner (an Asian guy!) and told him how much I enjoyed the Mill Valley patty. We talked about the history of Pearl's and he was very enthusiastic about it. If you ever find yourself in Marin County?go have a burger at Pearl's! (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
I've no horse in the Race today other than
1.) I'm hungry​
2.) I'm happy this is bumped​
3.) This glory shot, below I don't know where to acutally order and eat it

june_blog2b_gourmetburger.jpg

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
I'm hungry
Mandalay Bay in Vegas has a burger meal that costs $5000!!! Can you believe that? Wagyu beef with black truffles & foie gras on it.

$2000 for the bottle of wine that comes with it.
$75 for the wine glasses.

So that's $2925 for just the burger alone!:eek:

Joosse

For that price, you would expect some class though.

But since they are charging you for the wine glasses, it kinda sounds like a 'keep the cup' deal. Not much classier than Burger King then...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
2016. The Year Pale Horse perfects the backyard burger.

Such that you won't even need hot sauce?

I've had good luck with pan cooking. Reduce down some port, toast buns with a bit of butter, spread a good blue, maybe Stilton, a simple burger mix with a dash of Worcestershire...not bad. Of course, I'm speaking as someone without a grill.

Last edited: