L.A. Noire

Goodsport

This sandbox game for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games, is expected in stores sometime during the first half of 2011.

Aaron Stanton (who plays Kenneth Cosgrove in AMC's Mad Men) even lends his voice and likeness to the main character, Cole Phelps.

LA-Noire-12.jpg

LA-Noire-07.jpg

LA-Noire-04.jpg

-G

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Very interested in this, from everything I know about it thus far. (And I only recently learned of Aaron Staton's involvement; not a bad likeness, that.) Red Dead Redemption was the first of the Rockstar Games I'd bothered to play, and other than one other excursion, that's the extent of my experience with the sandbox form. (The Godfather game drew me in on the basis of the license.)

We'll be getting a trailer on Thursday, and it looks like a website as well. There had been one previously, but it looks like they probably took it down for the time being. I'm sure we'll get links to both here in two days.

Here's an older trailer from '06, which gives us a lot of atmosphere but certainly no gameplay. (That isn't to say that we'll get gameplay on Thursday.)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3emH9pjAaqA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3emH9pjAaqA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
Been hearing bout thi game for over a year...

Yeah, it was postponed, originally meant to be out this fall. But then that's an expectation in this particular industry, more or less.

The project of theirs that's really MIA is Agent.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DiscoLad said:
*CoughMAFIA2COUGH*

:p

You were saying?

Yes, Mafia 2 is the game coming out at roughly the same time from the other side of the law, and the country. Although, what I've heard about it sounds like it did not live up to its expectations - I gave the demo a try, and the whole thing seemed a bit clunky - the mechanics, especially for driving, and the clunky way the story didn't seem to be integrated into the gameplay. That's just from the demo, but I've seen it said elsewhere, and I just couldn't see putting in the work to find my way to liking it.

But, of course, an extended discussion of Mafia 2 would really belong elsewhere.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm. My first reaction, other than "well, that looks cool," is that this game will require a lot more conversation, by virtue of the lead character's role as detective. I wonder if we'll get any dialogue trees, or if it's all settled for us. The taciturn John Marston he's not; that's clear already.

From ScrawlFx.com:
Pay attention to the detail on each character?s face as they converse; their emotions are clearly displayed with each word they speak. Players will need to utilize this unique feature by analyzing their suspects? faces and determine on their own what the story is in order to find out the truth.

If this is true, sounds like there might actually be something to the detective work here.

The Drifter

L.A. Noire has been on my "list" for a few years now. Mafia II looks like fun, but I'm waiting for it's price to drop before I pick it up.
On a related but slightly different note: Attila, have you ever played Heavy Rain on the PS3? I think you'd enjoy that game.

Goodsport

Aaron Staton (who plays Kenneth Cosgrove in AMC's Mad Men) even lends his voice and likeness to the main character, Cole Phelps.

And according to this blog, Mike Uppendahl (one of Mad Men's directors) is directing this game.

-G

DiscoLad

Attila the Professor said:
You were saying?

Yes, Mafia 2 is the game coming out at roughly the same time from the other side of the law, and the country. Although, what I've heard about it sounds like it did not live up to its expectations - I gave the demo a try, and the whole thing seemed a bit clunky - the mechanics, especially for driving, and the clunky way the story didn't seem to be integrated into the gameplay. That's just from the demo, but I've seen it said elsewhere, and I just couldn't see putting in the work to find my way to liking it.

But, of course, an extended discussion of Mafia 2 would really belong elsewhere.

What? :)
All I meant was it looks exactly like Mafia II, which was one of the worst playing games I've touched. It was clunky, very true.

Le Saboteur

DiscoLad said:
What? :)
All I meant was it looks exactly like Mafia II, which was one of the worst playing games I've touched. It was clunky, very true.

Had you referenced this, this, or even this you might have garnered more credibility. Otherwise, you'll need to learn that vague, surface similarities do not a valid comparison make.

That said, I'm glad they redid the logo. There was something about the previous incarnation that didn't sit well with me. I kept imagining the logo from a car; which one, I can't quite put my figure on. Perhaps the Chevy Bel Air?

I had the same initial reaction as Atilla. Yes, it looks cool, but I'll want to know more before I decide to get it. In fact, if it weren't for the investigative aspect of the game, I wouldn't bother picking it up.

Atilla the Professor said:
If this is true, sounds like there might actually be something to the detective work here.

I'm wondering if you'll be able to muff a case.

Le Saboteur

L.A. Noire is gradually coming off the QT, going on the record, and is no longer hush-hush.

LA%20Noire_screenshot_146.jpg

Rockstar has released the first wallpaper featuring the new logo and the shadowy image of the game's lead, Cole Phelps.

They've also collected a few of the most recent impressions from various press outlets.

CVG said:
This has astounding promise - a giddily cinematic experience, housing an unflinching, surprisingly cerebral adult journey.”

The above quote from Computer and Video Games magazine is probably my favourite. Rockstar is certainly getting my attention with this trickle of detail, and I hope it lives up to the potential.

A few more screens.

Goodsport

Le Saboteur said:
L.A. Noire is gradually coming off the QT, going on the record, and is no longer hush-hush.

LA%20Noire_screenshot_146.jpg

Rockstar has released the first wallpaper featuring the new logo and the shadowy image of the game's lead, Cole Phelps.

They've also collected a few of the most recent impressions from various press outlets.

CVG said:
This has astounding promise - a giddily cinematic experience, housing an unflinching, surprisingly cerebral adult journey.?

The above quote from Computer and Video Games magazine is probably my favourite. Rockstar is certainly getting my attention with this trickle of detail, and I hope it lives up to the potential.

A few more screens.

Awesome info, Le Saboteur!

Thanks again. :)

-G

DiscoLad

Thought about this thread the other day when I opened my Xbox monthly and saw a screenshot of this game of a guy getting arrested, he looked like my boss...

I suppose I'll rent this... We will see.

EDIT: Silly me, I meant to post this in the L.A. Noire thread...
How did I manage to get here? ... 0_o

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
and Rockstar needs to make Bully 2 already....:(

I hear ya! I bought Bully back years ago and did not expect much, but was blown away by the whole experience. That game truly deserves a sequel.