The Official Wild Goose Chase Thread (for all the rumors with undisclosed source)

Dene

Most likely cobblers, but thought it was worth a thread. Someone called 'enjafreak' posted this on imdb five days ago:

Cate Blanchett will play a mysterious 'english rose' called Sabrina who joins Indy and his father Henry on a quest to track down his son in the depths of the Amazon.

Shia Labeouf is still in negotiations to play the son of Indy whilst veteran actor Christopher Lee is also in talks to play the main villain.

Now...this was immediately rubbished by everyone 'cos it's unlikely that Sean Connery will be playing a particularly active role in the picture; however, that storyline could still work even if he wasn't.

My own take is that Christopher Lee is far too old to play the villain, frankly. But the whole thing does sound fairly plausible. However, there are some very creative people out there on the Net!

Anyone happy to shoot this down?!

Dr.Sartorius

Dene said:
Most likely cobblers, but thought it was worth a thread. Someone called 'enjafreak' posted this on imdb five days ago:

Cate Blanchett will play a mysterious 'english rose' called Sabrina who joins Indy and his father Henry on a quest to track down his son in the depths of the Amazon.

Shia Labeouf is still in negotiations to play the son of Indy whilst veteran actor Christopher Lee is also in talks to play the main villain.

Now...this was immediately rubbished by everyone 'cos it's unlikely that Sean Connery will be playing a particularly active role in the picture; however, that storyline could still work even if he wasn't.

My own take is that Christopher Lee is far too old to play the villain, frankly. But the whole thing does sound fairly plausible. However, there are some very creative people out there on the Net!

Anyone happy to shoot this down?!

Chris Lee too old to play a villain? Have you seen Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Episodes II and III?

Dene

Dr.Sartorius said:
Chris Lee too old to play a villain? Have you seen Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Episodes II and III?
I dunno -- I don't like the LotR films and only saw the first two, years ago, so can't really comment on those but I'd have preferred a much younger Lee playing Dooku.

What's the insurance situation on octogenarian actors in big movies -- not that I'm saying anything's going to happen to Mr Lee, hopefully he'll see a good many years yet -- but surely they wouldn't be on very long schedules? I know Lee did just one day on Sith.

Finn

Staff member
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=10368

Read the rules, as we have a stance. If it's not posted by any known newsfeeder, it's not worth a thread in The Raven. We'd like especially keep the carp some jokers post from top of their heads @ IMDb out of these boards.

My preorganized apologies to the joker in question if this appears to be true, then we naturally consider reconsidering things.

However, as it appears that we'll be able to keep up the discussion somewhat analytical, let's recreate this thread as the one where you can post ALL the similar rumor items, if nothing else but fellow visitor's amusement.

<small>And oh yeah, consider this post a well aimed shot towards the opening newspiece's credibility as well.</small>

Last edited:

San Holo

Christopher Lee was Lucas' choice for the part, but Spielberg insisted on the casting of Clint Eastwood(a longtime friend and collaborator) for the villain role.

Dene

Poster on imdb message board

Someone called 'Wild Bill Kelso' has posted the following in the last few days:

This project is not going forward. There are still problems plaguing the film and Cate Blanchet cannot wait for them to be fixed. Sean and John have turned the project down and Harrison is growing weary of all the delays. Steven has too many projects to worry about to keep putting this off and he will announce in a month or two his intent to drop himself as Director in order to move ahead with "Lincoln".

Let's face the reality of the situation. This is a bad idea without John and Sean and if they weren't bringing back Karen Allen, there's nothing to look forward to.

Let's just be happy with the series ending the way it should have. With them riding off into the sunset.

When questioned about it, by me and others, he replied thus:

Sallah was in the script and the sourse comes from several people who turn left on Melrose through a double arch gate everyday on their way to work.

Again, let's just be happy with the way it ended. Riding off into the sunset. Temple of Doom was bad enough. we don't need another bad Indy movie. Sometimes you have to say enough.

Jeez, how appalling if true. After all the false starts, delays etc. over the years and just two months to go.

I know we shouldn't be drawn in by this but to any industry insiders who might be reading could we please have swift reassurance that it's bogus!

Finn

Staff member
Dene, two threads merged. If you in future spot something in IMDb or any other message board with no apparent source and you wish to discuss it, please use this thread. Same goes to everyone else.

deckard24

Well that's disconcerting! I really hope this is false info regarding the movie not going forward! If all is still going according to plan, Christopher Lee as good as he could be as a villain is really getting far up there in age to commit to a lengthy action movie. Dene is correct in that Lee had one day on the set of Sith, and in the documentaries mentioned his age, weariness, and inability to perform physically like he used to. Lee doesn't have the stamina I believe to go running around the jungle or duking it out with Ford, if any of this is true. I wonder when we'll get some official casting info. I'm still pulling for Eastwood.

Dene

Kelso's latest post is this:

BTW, the announcement is coming most likely on Monday.

Everyone, the guy is keeping this going and that's worrying me.

Boy will this be gutting if true. Jeez, I hope this is bogus but maybe it's 'best' (ha!) to get ourselves ready for the worst. Some reassurance would be nice -- anyone?

fedoraboy

I have been following this guy at imdb and over at Spielberg Films I know they've been discussing him aswell. While it is worrying that this COULD be true (hell, anything could happen with this project) I'm pretty sure that this guy is just getting off on winding everyone up, it's been goin on for days now and he's keeping it going because he knows that people are starting to sweat and take it seriously, indeed, the longer he keeps it up, the more seriously people start taking it...

But c'mon, we haven't heard this from any other sources and this guys comments about his sources are pretty vague.

While, I agree, that, maybe, preparing ourselves for the worst isn't a bad idea, I'd expect that come Monday nothing happens, or, most likely, the guy exposes himself as the imbecile he is and has a good laugh at the expense of us honest Indy Fans...

fedoraboy

...also, just to add to my previous post RE: 'Wild Bill Kelso'. I've just been snooping in his post history on imdb and SEVEN minutes before he posted the initial thread stating Indy is to be cancelled, he posted on a separate thread stating that he would like Richard Attenborough to reprise the Sean Connery role if Connery wouldn't do it...why would someone do this if they knew the film was to be shelved...the guy is full of BS

deckard24

Now I don't know how widespread this IMDB rumour is, but I googled Ford yesterday and he's got quite a few sites with Indy related news. I checked out HarrisonFordWeb to see whatever news they had to offer, and it was limited except in their forums. The consensus there is Spielberg's and Lucas' inability to coax Connery out from his Tahitian bungalow, is bad news for the movie. For what it's worth they seem to think between that and Crossing Over, IJ4 could be postponed or worse. I don't know how reliable this all is, but it doesn't comfort me knowing this is even considered a reality.

Dr.Sartorius

deckard24 said:
Now I don't know how widespread this IMDB rumour is, but I googled Ford yesterday and he's got quite a few sites with Indy related news. I checked out HarrisonFordWeb to see whatever news they had to offer, and it was limited except in their forums. The consensus there is Spielberg's and Lucas' inability to coax Connery out from his Tahitian bungalow, is bad news for the movie. For what it's worth they seem to think between that and Crossing Over, IJ4 could be postponed or worse. I don't know how reliable this all is, but it doesn't comfort me knowing this is even considered a reality.

Consensus among who? Message board posters who have absolutely no inside knowledge of what's going on? I wouldn't worry about it if IMDB users are the ones perpetuating these rumors.

Having said that I remain cautiously pessimistic....

deckard24

I know at the end of the day these are all a bunch of posters comments, but after checking out IMDB and seeing the rumour had spread to other sites it was just discouraging to read. I should take it with a grain of salt, but when a movie like this has taken 10 years to come to fruition and seems to continually have new setbacks I got concerned. I don't know what's up with Connery other than money, and I'm just shocked we haven't gotten any news whatsoever. Patience is not one of my virtues at the moment!

Dr.Sartorius

deckard24 said:
I know at the end of the day these are all a bunch of posters comments, but after checking out IMDB and seeing the rumour had spread to other sites it was just discouraging to read. I should take it with a grain of salt, but when a movie like this has taken 10 years to come to fruition and seems to continually have new setbacks I got concerned. I don't know what's up with Connery other than money, and I'm just shocked we haven't gotten any news whatsoever. Patience is not one of my virtues at the moment!

What other sites has this guy's rumor leaked to?

On your point about news I totally agree with you. We should be getting a lot more info than we've been getting. I'm extremely obsessed with Indy IV and I check the Internet for hours every day searching for news on the movie.

deckard24

I was referring to here and HarrisonFordWeb! I check out chud.com, aintitcoolnews, comingsoon.com, and here for the most recent Indy 4 news on a daily basis as well. I'm just being overly nervous about the whole thing I guess. I'm just dying to here something about the film.

Have you heard or read anything Dr. Sartorius, regarding who Spielberg will be using as his chief cinematographer? This is crucial to the look and feel of the movie, and I really hope it doesn't have that weird grayed down washed out color palette as in Minority Report, Munich, and War of the Worlds.

Dr.Sartorius

deckard24 said:
I was referring to here and HarrisonFordWeb! I check out chud.com, aintitcoolnews, comingsoon.com, and here for the most recent Indy 4 news on a daily basis as well. I'm just being overly nervous about the whole thing I guess. I'm just dying to here something about the film.

Have you heard or read anything Dr. Sartorius, regarding who Spielberg will be using as his chief cinematographer? This is crucial to the look and feel of the movie, and I really hope it doesn't have that weird grayed down washed out color palette as in Minority Report, Munich, and War of the Worlds.

Janusz Kaminski (who's collaberated with Spielberg ever since Schindler's List) will be the DP:

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/indy4/1284

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I'd like to throw my fedora into the rumor ring.
The project has somewhat stalled...but not completely like this guy claims!
The delays have been attaching people to the project. The Bearded Ones desire total secrecy in this project, since there are millions of $$$ riding on it. That being said they are only giving out snipits of the script to agents, in turn they are being equally picky and want to see the whole thing. Last thing you want your talent tied to is a MAJOR box office flop. (not that I'm saying that it is going to, but that is the fear right now)

That is where we stand right now. I would anticipate that most of this will be cleared by the end of the month (April) and the project can start moving forward again.

And no, Steven is not going to remove himself from the director's chair.

Last edited:

Dr.Sartorius

Aaron H said:
I'd like to throw my fedora into the rumor ring.
The project has somewhat stalled...but not completely like this guy claims!
The delays have been attaching people to the project. The Bearded Ones desire total secrecy in this project, since there are millions of $$$ riding on it. That being said they are only giving out snipits of the script to agents, in turn they are being equally picky and want to see the whole thing. Last thing you want your talent tied to is a MAJOR box office flop. (not that I'm saying that it is going to, but that is the fear right now)

That is where we stand right now. I would anticipate that most of this will be cleared by the end of the month (April) and the project can start moving forward again.

And no, Steven is not going to remove himself from the director's chair.

How do you know this? Is this speculation? Or do you have insider contacts? I don't understand why they would only give out snippits of the script to possible cast members. It wouldn't be that bad if some info on the story was leaked.

If this supposed "delay" is true will that have any effect on the production start date or release?